Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    One of my favorite setups is a continuous loop larks headed to the guyout prussic'ed to the guy lines with fixed eyes on either end. Simple hardware free fided eye looped/larks headed to the stake and easily adjustable under the tarp.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

guyline and prusik knots

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    One of my favorite setups is a continuous loop larks headed to the guyout prussic'ed to the guy lines with fixed eyes on either end. Simple hardware free fided eye looped/larks headed to the stake and easily adjustable under the tarp.
    I think that’s what I use too. Guyline adjusts at loop prusik. It does not double back like a slip and grip—tautline hitch——no it just adjusts at prusik loop that is larksheaded to tarp. Excess line hangs down loose unless I wrap it up.

Great minds think alike
    Or you could say
    The blind leading the blind

I wonder if there are many blind hammockers
    And I wonder what ways they choose to rig their gear—-maybe certain innovations to avoid problems before they can happen.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 06-20-2018 at 22:08.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Not sure about that great mind thing, at least on my part. I also use the 2 small split rings on UGQ tarps like a buckle, works great... most of the time. It's also really easy when you have D rings to wrap a couple times around the D ring and use a simple slippery half hitch to lock it off and again easy access from the tarp. I still prefer the prusik's though, those split rings get out of shape sometimes. And speaking of great minds, thanks for teaching me how to spell prusik! Oh and I tie the excess nearly every time while it's hung and unless the weather is bad I coil and tie off the guys when packing up, having the CL's attached to the guy points makes organization easy. I also like the potential failure point the prusik creates for high wind. I always use those on my SpinnUL tarp.

I hope to make it up to one of the Yates hangs again and catch up with you there.

It would take a talented blind person to hang, especially solo. It would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I think that’s what I use too. Guyline adjusts at loop prusik. It does not double back like a slip and grip—tautline hitch——no it just adjusts at prusik loop that is larksheaded to tarp. Excess line hangs down loose unless I wrap it up.

Great minds think alike
    Or you could say
    The blind leading the blind

I wonder if there are many blind hammockers
    And I wonder what ways they choose to rig their gear—-maybe certain innovations to avoid problems before they can happen.
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 06-20-2018 at 22:59.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    They're crazy easy to make. Shown here with Atwood Micro Cord.

1. Make a little loop from a piece of cord, tied with double fisherman's bend, and do a 3-wrap prusik around the main line. Dress it up neatly and pull it tight to 'set':
    Attachment 165467

2. Feed the main guyline tail thru the tarp's D ring:
    Attachment 165468

3. Tie the main guyline to the loop with a double overhand knot or other knot and cinch it tight:
    Attachment 165469
    Everybody's telling Woodsong how they rig their guylines, instead of answering his question. Except you. Thank you!

When I ran prusiks on my guylines, I did step 1 above, but instead of steps 2 and 3 I'd simply larkshead the prusik loop to the tarp D-ring (or grosgrain loop, or whatever you have on your tarp). That way the prusik always stays next to the tarp, making adjustment easy. The extra line dangles down at the tarp end.

I use to run exactly this setup, and it worked fine. I've switched to linelocs, cos they're a bit quicker to adjust, especially for big adjustments. But if I ever revert to my no-hardware puritanism I'd happily go back to the prusiks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Everybody's telling Woodsong how they rig their guylines, instead of answering his question. Except you. Thank you!

When I ran prusiks on my guylines, I did step 1 above, but instead of steps 2 and 3 I'd simply larkshead the prusik loop to the tarp D-ring (or grosgrain loop, or whatever you have on your tarp). That way the prusik always stays next to the tarp, making adjustment easy. The extra line dangles down at the tarp end.

I use to run exactly this setup, and it worked fine. I've switched to linelocs, cos they're a bit quicker to adjust, especially for big adjustments. But if I ever revert to my no-hardware puritanism I'd happily go back to the prusiks.
    Thanks, and yes I have to fight that urge sometimes as well!

There are of course many ways to do it. We could also use Tautline, Midshipman, Blakes hitch on a loop. Could've used Klemheist or Hedden (recent accidental discovery) instead of Prusik.

I've done it the way you describe but I usually need to make only very small adjustments so the loop is fine. However with a split tarp ridge line I do it your way so that I can tighten the prusik or klemheist right up to the tree if necessary.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Prussik tied to the corner in the manner cmoulder did accomplishes what you asked.

I've given up on prussiks.. I hate prussiks...

I am fan of the mini ucr as well. Pictured below on the doors of my Superfly. They were also on the ground corners of the Superfly and Mamajamba. These have micro cord threaded through them because it was the doors. The ground corners used Zingit until recently when I changed to Z-Line.

The last photo above shows them ready to be larks headed to the corner hardware, but they still need a small whipping knot just before the overhand knot on the left or they will slip.

To see how to make them go here, and scroll to about page two or three. Or jump to the end. The mini ucr keeps the adjustment point at the tarp corner which was one of your (OP) requirements. I have a fixed eye in the stake end and two barrel knots about two inches apart at the other end so if the guy line get sucked back into the ucr, the knots prevent the line from slipping out and the also create a little tail to grab.

The main advantage over prussiks, in my opinion, is that the ucr never binds up. Just pull your guy line tight and milk the ucr body down to lock it in place or slide the ucr body up and releases in a flash. Yet, they hold like pit bulls once set. It tightens and releases super easy, and if you thread the end of your guy line through the corner hardware you can have a 2:1 mechanical advantage for tightening.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I didn't.. I agree that these kinds of threads tend to become "this is how I do it.." but it's hard not to bring up a method if you think it is better than what is asked about. People want to save others some time and effort but on the other hand it's good for people to fiddle and try out different things for themselves.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    This is a photo of a crl, it works exactly the same but the diamond knot is not needed (as Mike's tarp photo above shows). The whipping knot shown on the right both prevents loss of constriction and unraveling of the bury exit. I do not recommend use of reflective cord for this due to sliding over metalic thread.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I didn't.. I agree that these kinds of threads tend to become "this is how I do it.." but it's hard not to bring up a method if you think it is better than what is asked about. People want to save others some time and effort but on the other hand it's good for people to fiddle and try out different things for themselves.
    Yes, you're absolutely right, and that's what makes forums interesting for people other than the person asking the original question. If everybody stuck rigidly to the topic it would be a boring world. Nevertheless, this was a particularly extreme case of people piling on with "you're asking the wrong question cos I do it a better way".

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Thanks, and yes I have to fight that urge sometimes as well!

There are of course many ways to do it. We could also use Tautline, Midshipman, Blakes hitch on a loop. Could've used Klemheist or Hedden (recent accidental discovery) instead of Prusik.

I've done it the way you describe but I usually need to make only very small adjustments so the loop is fine. However with a split tarp ridge line I do it your way so that I can tighten the prusik or klemheist right up to the tree if necessary.
    In place of the tied loop to make your prusik, you can use a soft shackle just like you do for a CRL. That way you can attach to or remove from the Tarp D-Ring at will. (Or any other attachment point.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast