Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I live just outside of Chattanooga and hike the Cumberland trail sections. I have an HG 20 and a 40 Phoenix which serves me very well year round. The coldest I’ve had the 20 to was 16 in a major wind with a 30d top quilt and slept like a baby. Winters here are fairly mild except for a few weeks during Jan or feb where we might see teens or lower but only for a few days. Even if you do find you want a diff rating. HG quilts seem to hold a high resale value and move pretty fast on this forums sale/buy area (in fact I just bought a inc 40 full length from another member about 10 mins ago lol.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    I just got my 40 degree econ incubator in the mail and it is amazing. slept one night with it (about 55 degree lows) and couldn't be happier. looking forward to more camping!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have both Premium and Econ Incubators as well as a custom Econ Phincubator. Craftsmenship of both is superb. I can't see a differenced in the construction. Every detail seems to be the same.

Premium will be a smidge lighter and will pack down just a bit smaller.

I prefer the Argon fabric over Ion but only by a little bit. Argon is softer and feels less crinkly than Ion does. But for an UQ this makes no difference to me. I guess I prefer the cash in my pocket.

I am super happy with all three Econ quilts I have.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I have both Premium and Econ Incubators as well as a custom Econ Phincubator. Craftsmenship of both is superb. I can't see a differenced in the construction. Every detail seems to be the same.

Premium will be a smidge lighter and will pack down just a bit smaller.

I prefer the Argon fabric over Ion but only by a little bit. Argon is softer and feels less crinkly than Ion does. But for an UQ this makes no difference to me. I guess I prefer the cash in my pocket.

I am super happy with all three Econ quilts I have.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Will a 0 degree incubator and a 30 degree tq handle teens in your opinion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    The 0 degree incubator should perform exceptionally at that temperature. You will survive, but I won’t use my 30 degree Quilts much below 30.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    My primary UQ is a 0* that's used for anything under 50*, and I live in Texas. Above that and I use a DIY Costco UQ, but I haven't been able to buy anything in the middle yet. My primary quilt is a 20* but I have tons of sleeping bags in various weights so I can dial that in. This may be a little better way for you to think about it. If it gets colder than expected, you really can't supplement your UQ because anything you put on/under you is going to crush and lose value. I can pretty easily stretch my 20* TQ down to 0* because 30* or under I'm also bringing a down puffy, wool base layer, and wool socks. You pack is or should be a system. You augment the weak link by multitasking other items. So when I bought my 1st UQ it was a 0* because I'm probably not camping or at the least not planning on hammocking below that temperature. 20* covers 95% of my cold weather needs for a TQ and can easily be stretched far lower through other means. I've used that 0/20 combo from about -4 all the way up to about 65 and been plenty comfortable with extra clothes or venting as required. That is where down really shines and why I tend to avoid synthetic insulation, down is just more tolerant of big temp swings. All that said, my next purchase will be a full length 30* UQ because that's pretty much perfect for spring/fall and will save weight and a lot of bulk in the temp range where I do most of my long distance multiday hikes.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm finally ready to jump on an Econ set. I think. May sound redundant and wasteful, but I want a set just for nightly sleeping at home so I don't "wear out" my premium quilts.

Unfortunately the set I wanted during the in-stock sale went right before I went to buy them!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'm sure it's been said in prior responses.. the econ's are a great option, and while the Premiums sport the advantages of higher quality down, overall lighter weight, better packability and the option to customize them, they are not 'miles ahead' of the econ quilts.

I am extremely conscious of weight and at present five out of six of my quilts are econ's. I had a Premium 40F incubator at one time. At some point I'll swap them out for premiums, but I have zero complaints about the quilts I have now. I have NEVER packed my packs to the point that I was concerned about quilt volume.. doubt I ever will.

Do what's going to get you out on the trail.. if you can add the quilts you want, saving some money that can go to other gear you need for your trip, go econ.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My son has a 30* Economy Incubator and a -10* Economy Incubator (well, it's a 0* with about 4oz of overfill) and they have been excellent! Between the two of us, we also have two -10* Econ Burrows and two 40* Econ Burrows. They represent some of the best quilts for the money and I will gladly take the very slight weight difference to save hundreds of dollars. They feel amazing, you can't go wrong with either one.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
    My son has a 30* Economy Incubator and a -10* Economy Incubator (well, it's a 0* with about 4oz of overfill) and they have been excellent! Between the two of us, we also have two -10* Econ Burrows and two 40* Econ Burrows. They represent some of the best quilts for the money and I will gladly take the very slight weight difference to save hundreds of dollars. They feel amazing, you can't go wrong with either one.
    Thanks so much! We're so glad to hear you and your son are enjoying the gear
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast