Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,780
    Images
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I prefer the Argon fabric over Ion but only by a little bit. Argon is softer and feels less crinkly than Ion does. But for an UQ this makes no difference to me.
    I totally agree with this sentiment, and I think it's one that can be overlooked. The reduced weight is one advantage of the premium line - probably the most important advantage for many who choose it. The higher fill power down and the lower denier fabric are where the weight savings come from, but a secondary advantage of the lower denier fabric is the smoother, softer feel. I agree with Mike that it makes no difference for an UQ and in fact the outer shell of an UQ probably benefits to some degree from the more durable 20D fabric. For a TQ, the 10D fabric is more comfortable in my opinion. All of my TQs except my 0* Econ Burrow are either 10D or 7D inside and out, and I made that choice based more on the comfort of the fabric than the weight savings. When using my 0*, I typically don't have any exposed skin where the feel of the fabric would make any difference.

    The feel of the fabric may not be a concern for everybody, and it may not necessarily justify the cost difference, but it's a point in the consideration that doesn't get brought up as often as the other factors like weight or bulk.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 09-30-2019 at 11:48.

  2. #32
    FLTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Hammock
    DW Half-Zipped, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40 Phx/Burro
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Posts
    320
    I wonder if HG ever thought about making the econ line duck down fill with the premium line fabrics at a price point between the econ and premium offerings.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Cabmanhang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    GGE
    Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Posts
    821
    I've gotten a mix of both econ and premium quilts. I must admit that the coolness factor and greater cost make me a big fan of the premium line. The cool fabric and better quality down are both greatly appreciated. The weight and bulk aren't my greatest concerns, but it is nice to have "luxury" quilts. I'm thankful to have these great quilts.

    If I was counting grams, it might matter more, but I don't think of my econ quilts as any lesser. The econ line is as good as anything available. If cost/value ratio is your most important factor, Econ is the way.

    If you are whittling away at your weight, have a preference for the feel of the more costly fabric, or are big fan of ultra high fill down... spend that money. I have in some cases.

    I still vote for Econ as the winner in value for a person that isn't planning on hiking long distances or going UL.

    I personally don't prefer the feel of the higher end fabrics, but that's just me. I must admit that when I pack for a trip with any distance, those premium quilts usually get the nod.

    You can't go wrong with HG, but the Econ quilts aren't inferior in craftsmanship by any measure. You're saving on the materials and HG is still putting things together with the same high quality attention to detail.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, OH
    Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I wonder if HG ever thought about making the econ line duck down fill with the premium line fabrics at a price point between the econ and premium offerings.
    We've definitely thought of it but made the decision to keep the two products as separate as possible to #1 avoid confusion in the shop and #2 keep the Economy line less expensive as possible.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, OH
    Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    I've gotten a mix of both econ and premium quilts. I must admit that the coolness factor and greater cost make me a big fan of the premium line. The cool fabric and better quality down are both greatly appreciated. The weight and bulk aren't my greatest concerns, but it is nice to have "luxury" quilts. I'm thankful to have these great quilts.

    If I was counting grams, it might matter more, but I don't think of my econ quilts as any lesser. The econ line is as good as anything available. If cost/value ratio is your most important factor, Econ is the way.

    If you are whittling away at your weight, have a preference for the feel of the more costly fabric, or are big fan of ultra high fill down... spend that money. I have in some cases.

    I still vote for Econ as the winner in value for a person that isn't planning on hiking long distances or going UL.

    I personally don't prefer the feel of the higher end fabrics, but that's just me. I must admit that when I pack for a trip with any distance, those premium quilts usually get the nod.

    You can't go wrong with HG, but the Econ quilts aren't inferior in craftsmanship by any measure. You're saving on the materials and HG is still putting things together with the same high quality attention to detail.
    We're glad you're enjoying the gear
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

  6. #36
    Peppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Calamine, Arkansas
    Hammock
    Towns-End Lux, LSOH
    Tarp
    RSBTR, Towns-End
    Insulation
    JRB, LSOH
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Posts
    933
    Images
    5
    I've had both, and they are really nice products. I prefer the premium line. The ION doesn't breathe nearly as well as the argon in any weight. Not that big of a deal maybe for a car camper or back yard hang, but when I'm in the backcountry, knowing I can air dry a damp quilt, and knowing any condensation can easily filter through, makes the premium a no brainer.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

  7. #37
    OneClick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    IN
    Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Posts
    12,116
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I've had both, and they are really nice products. I prefer the premium line. The ION doesn't breathe nearly as well as the argon in any weight. Not that big of a deal maybe for a car camper or back yard hang, but when I'm in the backcountry, knowing I can air dry a damp quilt, and knowing any condensation can easily filter through, makes the premium a no brainer.
    Yeah I don't even want to entertain anything that breathes less than what I already have. Winter especially is a crucial time to let vapor escape.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

    Similar Threads

    1. FS: Hammock Gear Econ 20 incubator UQ
      By Free Home in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 12-12-2017, 21:47
    2. FS: Hammock Gear Incubator Econ 0 Degree
      By bwhntMT in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 11-30-2017, 13:52
    3. Replies: 16
      Last Post: 10-30-2017, 17:48
    4. FS: Dutch 11ft Dual Knotty w/ Fronkey Bug Net, NEW Hammock Gear Econ Incubator 20, Kelty Noah 12
      By brswan in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 09-30-2017, 07:27
    5. Hammock Gear Incubator Econ 0* and Burrow Econ 0*
      By 19Ellie90 in forum Archived WTB
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-09-2017, 07:32

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •