Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

How wide?

I'm about to DIY another hammock. My last is in Hyper D, 11' with a finished width of 58". It is crazy comfortable and I don't know that I need extra width.

This hammy will an 11' but will be in Robic XL so I'll have some extra width to play with but just because I can doesn't mean I should... Go wider.

I'm 5'11".

Is there a Golden Ratio to refer to for 'ideal' width to height?

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    In my table cloth experiments, i've found no value in going wider than 60". Geometrically, the flattest spot is somewhere between parallel lay ("banana") and a full perpendicular lay (that extra width would allow). So going past 60" does allow you to lay "more diagonal", but that diagonal is not necessarily going to be any flatter.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Well, your UQ design and your SRL length will actually play a big role in how diagonal you can get. A shorter SRL will allow for a more diagonal lay. I highly recommend an adjustable SRL. My favorite kind is a 7/64” amsteel UCR style. They are fun to play around with and see the difference it makes. The other point is that some UQ’s will limit your diagonal angle as well. It seems as though 64” is about as wide as anyone ever recommends. If you’re going netless and with long knotty mods, you can go a few inches wider, I have found.

If you read the book, ‘The Ultimate Hang’, Derek recommends a ratio of 1:2.2 for 11 footers. 132” divided by 2.2 equals 60”.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I have a full width Robic xl hammock. I really only need about 2/3rds of it.

Wide hammocks also have a deep middle if you get the edges too tight. Kind of hard to get out of.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Anything wider than 54" is a waste for me. (I'm 6'-1", 200#). My hammocks are 11' long. Years ago I posted a YouTube video "A case for narrow hammocks" I think it's called.
    https://youtu.be/NglCJ0sEGVY

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    I'm 6'0" and I love me a wide hammock. I had a standard 58" Chameleon and it put enough pressure on my outside knee that I was having trouble walking after a couple nights in it. I haven't had any problems since switching to full width Robic XL hammocks.

I can't claim any scientific experimentation, but being able to walk is enough proof for me that there are some advantages to wide hammocks for some people. However, if you're comfortable with 58" I'd recommend staying there. HYOH

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I'm 5'11" as well and have found that somewhere around 64" is an ideal width for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Thanks all.. 60" seems about the consensus.. with 58" and 64" on the outside extremes. Considering my current 58" is as comfortable as it is, I am tempted to go only a wee bit longer..

Going too wide and the UQ won't stay in place.

I use an ARL on my hammock and will do the same on this new one. No reason not to.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I like the hammocks I use at home to be as wide as the fabric permits. My widest is 75" and I love it. Although I'm only 5'4" and could not really use more than 65" if I were to be able to lie perpendicular, I found that I really want about 62"-63" for my hiking hammocks. I always get too close to the edges if the hammock is narrower. I can sleep in a narrow hammock, but I don't like it.

So bottom line: try different widths to see how you like it. If you don't want to build more than one hammock, you could simply trim the fabric bit by bit, and provisionally whip it. You'll probably notice when you get close to your comfort threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Going too wide and the UQ won't stay in place.
    Not at all. What I found with wide hammocks is, that my diagonal doesn't really change extremely. I have been using my Wooki underquilt with my widest hammocks and haven't had a problem.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    ...What I found with wide hammocks is, that my diagonal doesn't really change extremely. I have been using my Wooki underquilt with my widest hammocks and haven't had a problem.
    Agreed. Got two wide hammocks, one was a DIY bought here which is 65" wide which ends up being my most comfy hammock. Other is a Streamliner where the original 58" wide version didn't work for me, which Jared graciously made wider, to about 64". I also have a dutch netless at 58" wide. The diagonal in the wide hammocks doesn't seem to be significantly more diagonal, but rather it seems to have less pressure on each end from where the fabric starts to rise up.

So if you have a 58" and you're curious, I'd go with something a little more significant, like 62", if not 64-65", rather than the 60" consensus.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast