Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles

Backpacking in a winter storm

Hi all,
    Below is a short video that my nephew shot while we were backpacking in the Pigeon River forest area
    in Vanderbilt, Michigan. Our 2nd night we got hit with a blizzard and ended up hiking out in about
    24" of snow. It was an exhausting hike, but a lot of fun too. I would have done MANY things
    different now, but as always you just never know when in that situation.
    We were hammock camping with 0 degree under quilts from UGQ and we stayed toasty warm.
    Enjoy!
    https://youtu.be/EfdM04FuOwo

Great video and welcome to the forums. You definitely dodged the bullet getting out of there when you did. I love that Pigeon River State Forest and the Green Timbers area for winter camping. We do a yearly hang in February at GT. Come on out and join us!

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    Thank you, I'd love to do a hang with a group. This area is so beautiful! We have plans to come back again in the late fall this year and do some miles since we sort of got cheated out. Seeing those 2 elk was really cool too. I have to make it a point to shoot much more video. I always plan to, but get lazy when I get out there. It was really cool when the snow was falling hard when we broke camp. It was almost a white out condition and that's why I gave up looking for my bear bag. It would have been neat to video tape some of that because you just couldn't see anything and it's difficult to try to explain that to people.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That's incredible that you got that amount of snow in April. Good choice to move on as that much wet snow can bring down some significant widow makers. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Great video, glad you guys got out of there ok in the middle of the night, not sue I would have risked it!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Fun video... smart move getting out of there & taking no chances with falling limbs.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nice video - looks like it was fun!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    In spite of interruption of our hiking, it was a lot of fun! I was really looking forward to pound some miles too in this area. This winter storm was supposed to hit that area for the prior 3 weeks, but didn't so we thought that there was a good chance it would miss again. I went out at the last minute and bought the snow shoes too! Man am I glad I did or we'd still be hiking out!
    When we finally got to my truck, the snow was up to the bumper. I have a Silverado 2500HD with 20" tires too! We threw the equipment in the back, I dug out the exhaust, we climbed inside got her up to operating temperature, turned on the heat and passed out for about 3 hours! We had been hiking for about 8 hours up to this point! After waking up, I switched her into 4WD and was able to move about 3 feet. I pulled back forward, we dug out the tires and we put the ice chains on. Man am I glad I bought ice chains a couple years earlier. With 4WD and ice chains, we were unstoppable. There were 4' snow drifts across the road and we just blew right through them! It was quite the experience! I just wish we would have video taped more of it. I brought an extra battery pack, but my nephew had an IPhone and I'm a Droid guy and he forgot his adapter so when his battery was out, there ended the video taping too. I always have the intention of video taping, but I get real lazy went I get out!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good stuff! About 21" at Gaylord 4/13-4/17. Good thing you got out before the big batch late Sunday-Monday.

https://www.weather.gov/apx/20180417_Winter

Images
    Looks like fun! Reminds me of a summer backpacking trip I did to Glacier National Park, MT...beautiful weather when I went to bed, woke up with lots of snow on the ground!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast