Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis

AT Section Hike ‘18

Trip report - AT Section Hike ‘18

The three of us grotesquely out of shape women (34, 60, & 64 y/o) arrived in Damascus on Trail Days Saturday.
    I had ultimately decided not to hike this spring, but grabbed my pack and took off after my hiking buddies stopped for the night at my place while enroute to the trail.
    ...parting words from my family; Husband “You’ll be back in two weeks, right?” Daughter “You realize you’re unprepared for this, right?” Son “Have a blast, Mom!”.

My friend and her daughter-in-law and I arrived in Damascus after a fun road trip and began hiking north. The struggle was real.

The DIL lasted two days. Her MIL, a member of my original 2016 hiker family, and I continued, stepping off the AT at Settler’s Museum, north of Marion VA.

We were transported back to Roan Mountain, where I left trail in the Fall of ‘16.
    We hiked 15 miles short of Damascus where we got off at Low Gap. The heat was too much and we were beat.

Currently, I’m awaiting transportation back home and cooling my jets in Damascus, my second fav trail town, Hot Springs is first.

I *might* close the 15 mile hiking gap before leaving Damascus next week.

Meanwhile, I’m walking the AT every day and plan on including the mountainous aspect of the trail starting tomorrow, up and down for a mile or two. Love the mountains!

I’ve hiked 132 AT miles this year.
    AT miles 2016 & 2018 - 527 miles.

Notable:

Lots of bear activity, particularly around Thomas Knob Shelter in the Grayson Highlands. My bear bag was grabbed by a bear 0.8 miles S of Thomas Knob Shelter. In addition, a hiker has just reported a mildly aggressive bear at Abingdon Shelter, 10 miles S of Damascus. Bear sightings all along the trail where we hiked. I saw a cub.

Grayson Highlands General Store has an incredible resupply store with a wide selection of wholesome foods. Their Amish Deli and the grill are a real treat.

Ticks are bad. Gnats! Other biters! My hiking buddy has a GIGANTIC rattler snake skin, shed across the trail just prior to our arrival.

Poison Ivy is everywhere. I’m highly allergic and on steroids for a blasted between the toes exposure. Flip flop camp shoes, bad idea for me.

Boots Off Hostel - you’ll want to stop here. Outstanding bunkhouse, outhouse, showers, hangout area. Wonderful owners, caretakers.

Of course, the well known Woodchuck Hostel in Damascus is a great stop. Lots and lots to appreciate here.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    The more I read from AT hikers the more I want to try it! Even if it was just a section at a time, I seem to have a need for this in my life!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Hi, and thx for posting your adventure. Thruhikes are nice to read about, but section hiking is more realistic. You girls GO...

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Packhiker View Post
    Trip report - AT Section Hike ‘18 ...
    I’ve hiked 132 AT miles this year.
    AT miles 2016 & 2018 - 527 miles.
    You go, Girls!!! That's how it's done. Eat that "elephant" one bite at a time. You're doing better than I did.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts