Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You're making me itch!!

I wonder if a single layer + shirt (both treated with permethrin) would be enough? I only tried this day-hiking, hanging for an hour or so and it seemed OK. But lying still for 8 hours, maybe not?

Hammock
    Walhalla
    Tarp
    Walhalla
    Insulation
    Trailheadz & JRB
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    Yep, miss my old wilderness logics setup now.
    I just picked up a new Wilderness Logics No-seem bug net this week. Can not wait to use it. I dislike getting eaten alive.
    HANG WELL MY FRIENDS AND HANG IN THERE!

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    The thing I dislike about permetherin is that it's invisible. You can't tell if it's enough of worn off. While I don't doubt it's effective, its a trade-off vs a heavier set up

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    This makes another reason that I stick with the Fronkey style bugnet. all-round protection.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Well....if you're gonna get chewed up, better on the back of the arm than on your forehead I guess!

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    Yes mosquitoes can bite thru a single layer netted hammock. I slept with this arm behind my head in Alabama and was the only exposed body part against the hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Try using an UQP next time....since you are offering to be a guinea pig.
    I completely misunderstood the OP.

This is exactly why I'm considering a 2qzq underquilt protector. At ~5.5 oz, it weighs as much as an extra layer of hammock. During colder months (below 55°F daytime temperatures) you'd still benefit from the weight savings.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Ouch. This is one reason I pack it in this time of year. This and the heat of course.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Ouch. This is one reason I pack it in this time of year. This and the heat of course.
    Should've clarified this was a Blackbird style. Netted on top only.

I'm going again tomorrow night, am going to lay a sheet down behind me in the hammock. My bare legs were in a sleeping bag liner and did not get hit at all. So, apparently an additional layer is a solution.

I bass fish fish early in the mornings in the summer and I use my Blackbird beside the lakes.
    Last edited by taylo; 06-14-2018 at 20:18.

I'm in Northwest Louisiana. I've never had an issue with mosquitos biting through a permethrin treated hammock. I just treat the underside (single layer) at the beginning of summer. Directions say it's good for 42 days, so another good spray in August gets me through most of mosquito season. Unless it is like last winter where it didn't get cold until February.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    You're making me itch!!

I wonder if a single layer + shirt (both treated with permethrin) would be enough? I only tried this day-hiking, hanging for an hour or so and it seemed OK. But lying still for 8 hours, maybe not?
    I think Permethrin is the wrong choice for the shirt part. Permethrin is a contact insecticide and not a repellant, so mosquitoes need to absorb it through their body for it to work. If a shirt sleeve is treated but the mosquito is biting through a covering layer, I'd think the Permethrin wouldn't do anything since there is no direct contact with the Permethrin molecules. A repellant like Picaridin or DEET seems to be the better choice for this I think. The way DEET appears to work is really interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4594586/.

So maybe Permethrin on the hammock and a repellant on the clothes? That sounds like a winner.

I know there are some women on the forum who may know this but I learned an interesting lesson in clothing differences on a dayhike with my daughter last year. I wear a typical man's synthetic shirt and pants or shorts. Pretty heavy so I've never had a problem getting bitten through any fabric. My daughter hikes in whatever kind of leggings/tights/yoga pants she wears (she was 12). On a really buggy day we diligently apply repellant at the trail head. I focus on shoes and socks for ticks and exposed skin. During the hike she mentions getting bitten, but I don't see anything on her. On the way home she starts complaining about itching... when we arrived home she drops her pants, and her butt was absolutely covered with bites from right through her clothes. Never an area I've ever had to think about putting repellent on, but lesson learned. (And chalk up one more benefit for Fjällräven G-20 fabric.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast