Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by janhunt View Post
    I'm hammock sleeping indoors. I like using a sleeping bag, and don't want to try top and bottom quilts. The bag I have is rectangular, with the standard 32-inch width, so it falls off the sides of the hammock at the foot and head ends. Is there a sleeping bag that's designed specifically for use in a hammock (narrower at the head and foot?) I really don't like mummy bags or slippery linings. Is there a barrel-shaped bag with a lining in cotton or a similar fabric? If not, is there someone who offers custom-made bags?

Thanks!

Jan
    If you have a knotty mod, it will help keep your sleeping back from falling out. My indoor set up consists of a double layer dutch wide with dual knotty mods. I have a memory foam pad set up in-between layers for insulation and use a light sleeping bag in quilt mode. The foot end of the sleeping bad has a small loop on it. I took a small "S" biner and clip the loop on the sleeping bag to a loop I made with the knotty mod shock cord. I think a sleeping bag would work just fine but it would be a good idea to have some attachment points inside the hammock body to keep it in place; kind of like how sleeping pads are attached to sleeping bags for ground dwellers.

Thanks, enjoy your hammock!
    Joe
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    With warm weather, a fleece topquilt ought to be sufficient. Pair it with a silk liner if you need more weight on you..

Sleeping bag for indoor hammock?

[QUOTE=vtrhyno;1895099]
    Quote Originally Posted by janhunt View Post
    Didn't you just say your sleeping bag was falling off?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Sorry I wasn't clear. Only the foot end of the bag falls off the hammock as that part of the bag is so much wider than that end of the hammock. When that happens, I have to keep pulling that part back in. If I could have a bag that was narrower at the foot end that would work, but I don't like mummy bags. I'm also short, so there's a lot of the bag that I don't need or use. I may have to get a custom bag.

Hammock
    DIY GE 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    [QUOTE=janhunt;1895608]
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrhyno View Post

Sorry I wasn't clear. Only the foot end of the bag falls off the hammock as that part of the bag is so much wider than that end of the hammock. When that happens, I have to keep pulling that part back in. If I could have a bag that was narrower at the foot end that would work, but I don't like mummy bags. I'm also short, so there's a lot of the bag that I don't need or use. I may have to get a custom bag.
    Depending on just how short you might find that a kid's bag works. I've seen some that fit up to 66" (5'6") which would easily fit my 5'2" wife. That might solve a good number of the problems and let you keep a square ended bag.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Provided your hammock isn’t just too narrow for your size body, try a knotty mod. They help a fair bit with keeping quilts and bags from falling out both when you are in and also out of the hammock. Some quilts such as the Bandit have attachment points at the foot end primarily for hang drying and storage, but also for attaching to the foot end peak via shock cord to help with this issue as well.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Sounds like you just need a topquilt.... My 40°F Hammockgear topquilt doesn't have a sewn footbox. It has drawstring, zipper, then a single snap where the zipper ends.

During my road trip, I flipped the bag inside of, then tied off the drawstring instead of stuffing a sock in it. I didn't bother using the snap nor zipper unless the temperature was 45-45°. It worked exceedingly well since I was able to maneuver the quilt with ease.

Some cottage vendors also offer shorter quilt options, so I don't quite understand why you're so adamant about not using a topquilt.

EDIT: Perhaps, I am just ignorant of common hammocker issues since my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hasn't seen a day without its bugnet yet..

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    [QUOTE=janhunt;1894879]
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeDavidBowie View Post
    Why don't you wanna try quilts?[/QUOTE

I like a sleeping bag because it stays put - a quilt could fall off me.
    Funny, that never seems to happen to me. You’re zipping up your bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    DD has a hammock friendly bag, the Jura 2 : https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/d...ag?from_cat=36.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    You can easily make your own custom TQ using KamSnaps.
    Here is a good video by fellow member jellyfish on how to DIY - you can simplify this to just make what you need. I make mine with a standard throw quilt, 8 snaps across the bottom/foot end, and 3 snaps up to my knees on the long side. You can make one in 20 min easy (use the size 20 snaps).
    https://youtu.be/Xk4emMm_Pfs

Some other suggestions you can check out on youtube:
    AegisMax UL Sleeping Bag: about $75 https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEGISMAX-Mu...4KKVCeLTK2QYnA
    SnugPak Jungle Bag: about $50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snugpak-Jun...QAAOSwGllaXvgs
    SnugPak Jungle blanket (with KAM Snaps you add): about $30
    Last edited by oldpappy; 06-17-2018 at 10:57.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've purchased this but rarely use it since my mulberry silk liner is lighter and packs smaller for backpacking/camping trips. I pulled my fleece out when a friend couch surfed last night; washing it in my tiny washer is made easier with its size.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/qui...ummer-blanket/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12