Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images

Quilt or tarp fabric

Hey y'all:
    I am trying my first DIY project, in that I am paying someone to make something that someone else or myself won't make myself.
    So I am going to pay someone to DIY myself these pieces of gear:
    • [*]Pack cover
    • Rain mitts
    • Rain skirt/ground cloths/loops for JJ's other functions.

I was going to buy the bushwhack fabric from warbonnet. They sell it in quilt fabric, and tarp fabric.
    Here is my question to the good community, if there is anyone still reading:
    Should I buy tarp or quilt fabric???????
    Tarp fabric is going to repeal more wind and rain but not be as breathable. But, do I care about breathability for those products?
    I went quilt fabric for the jacket but think I will not need as much breathability in the skirt because it is a skirt, right?
    Also the pack cover should repeal more than it should breathe, I think.
    The mitt's I think too should repeal, but I could be wrong.
    Please let me know I need to purchase soon.
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Quilt fabric probably won't block any rain, you may get a little bit if it's calendered but I would expect it to wet out almost instantly. Pack cover should definitely be "tarp" material.

I would search for other projects using silpoly or silnylon for what you are referring to as tarp fabric and calendared or just basic ripstop for the quilt fabric.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisscy View Post
    Quilt fabric probably won't block any rain, you may get a little bit if it's calendered but I would expect it to wet out almost instantly. Pack cover should definitely be "tarp" material.

I would search for other projects using silpoly or silnylon for what you are referring to as tarp fabric and calendared or just basic ripstop for the quilt fabric.
    Right good point. Here is the two:
    Fabric: 30D 2000mm NeverMist Silnylon
    And
    Fabric: 20D Nylon (Quilt Fabric)
    And here’s the info about them:
    Using our lightweight tarp fabric results in a jacket made from fully waterproof/windproof fabric that has the weight and pack-ability of many lightweight windbreakers. While the fabric isn’t breathable, it does have 22″ long adjustable pit-zips for ventilation. Like any jacket made from coated fabric, it is designed more for lower activity level use due to lower breathability fabric. It compresses to about the size of a tennis ball so it’s a great size/weight to keep in the bottom of your pack for unexpected rain or heavy wind anytime you don’t want to carry a full-on breathable rain shell or when you feel like you might want more protection than a typical breathable windbreaker (It blocks wind like a brick wall) It has no pockets, but the pit zips come down far enough to slightly open and access the side pockets of any jacket you might be wearing underneath. Due to it being silicone-coated fabric, it isn’t seam taped, although the user could seam-seal it with silicone if fully waterproof seams are desired. The shoulder seams are oriented off to the sides of the shoulders and in general you can expect very little water to make it through the seams. Due to the jacket being sold with the seams un-sealed, we are not advertising this as a “rain” jacket, but you can expect it to be windproof and much more water resistant than a typical windbreaker made of lightweight DWR treated fabric. We’ve tested it in moderate rain for up to an hour with nothing more than extremely minimal leakage through the un-sealed seams.

The version made from our quilt fabric is the same design other than the fabric used. Using our quilt fabric makes for a typical un-lined windbreaker that is wind and water resistant. This fabric is a 20d nylon or polyester high threadcount tightly woven fabric, heavily calendared on one side for max windbreak and treated with a DWR water resistant finish, not as wind or water resistant as the tarp fabric option, but it’s much more breathable and well suited for high activity levels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chose calendered fabric for my quilt shells for the wind resistance, and it is much better than a normal fabric. Maybe the DWR coating helps, but I wouldn't treat a jacket made from it as much more than a spray coat. It'll give you a nice temp boost as a wind jacket without building up condensation, but I don't think it would work as rain gear.

I'd let someone else chime in if they've actually handled it, I'm just basing it off of a general fabric knowledge.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    "tarp" fabric = coated to be waterproof
    "quilt" fabric = NOT coated, will not be waterproof. May or may not "repel" or "resist" water (depending if DWR treated or calendared), but water will go through it eventually if not right away.

Mitts & Pack cover: waterproof!
    I'd say ground cloth and rain skirt also waterproof, but you may have different needs.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    "tarp" fabric = coated to be waterproof
    "quilt" fabric = NOT coated, will not be waterproof. May or may not "repel" or "resist" water (depending if DWR treated or calendared), but water will go through it eventually if not right away.

Mitts & Pack cover: waterproof!
    I'd say ground cloth and rain skirt also waterproof, but you may have different needs.
    Thanks dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts