Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    I love collecting firewood. The bought stuff is just too expensive, and although it's just a mile, I wouldn't want to hike it in. As it sits, I am pondering on what extra communal gear to bring. I'm considering bringing a large tarp and a solar lighting kit to create a community area for people to congregate in. I'm also considering what stove that I want to bring.

It's either a super high speed seek outside titanium backpacking stove (that's brand new still and needs a proper "burn in", or I'll bring a dutch oven and grill/smoker setup that I've been waiting to test out.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    We had a great time at this hang last year! Unfortunately, I'm out of position (stuck in NJ) this time around.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    I love collecting firewood. The bought stuff is just too expensive, and although it's just a mile, I wouldn't want to hike it in. As it sits, I am pondering on what extra communal gear to bring. I'm considering bringing a large tarp and a solar lighting kit to create a community area for people to congregate in. I'm also considering what stove that I want to bring.

It's either a super high speed seek outside titanium backpacking stove (that's brand new still and needs a proper "burn in", or I'll bring a dutch oven and grill/smoker setup that I've been waiting to test out.

Sounds great. Sometimes we have a community tarp set up and sometimes not. Usually everyone goes to there own tarps and waits out the afternoon showers that occur. I will be giving my titanium stove a break this hang and trying out my new jetboil flash that I bought for fathers day. We always need someone to maintain the fire when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    We had a great time at this hang last year! Unfortunately, I'm out of position (stuck in NJ) this time around.

EG sorry you cant make it. Hey theirs always JRH 10 next year I am sure.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Images
    I have secured Friday-Sunday off of work.

Hammock
    Autumn Ultralight,Walhalla, SMr
    Tarp
    Walhalla, SMr
    Insulation
    SMR Inferno, Puffl
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I am trying to make this one. I have driven through the area a bunch of times and have not had the time to stop and spend the night. Another plus is the ride from Chattanooga to the site looks like it will be awesome on the bike. Not planning on taking any major roads. As always, if anyone wants to borrow some Sierra Madre gear, let me know. I can bring up to 4 setups on the bike.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    This could work, there may be 2 of us coming but she will not be able to carry much weight due to back issues. Neither of us are really in the best shape so I dont want to try to pack too much to pack back.
    I'm the same way...a handful of titanium in my lower back, torn ACL in my knee (that the Navy docs declined to repair), and bad feet. When I did the hike in last year I just took my time, observed the forest wonder around me while I rested and before I knew it I was in the Enchanted Forest! Yes there are some uphills but it is do-able for just about anyone. We have serpas that will assist if needed.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    having sherpas available is always a plus. There area few things that I'm considering bringing for the camp, but that I don't want to pack in myself. An example is my heavy dutch oven and grill combo. I've thought that I could keep it all together in the back of my car, and that if we want to use it, that someone could easily go down with my key grab it and lock my car back up. I figure the same thing for the people who are going to have difficulty with the hike. Just have the stuff easy to find, and the 1 mile hike is nothing for some of these people.

Cajonracer

Up the Ocoee from Ocoee to Ducktown is indeed a good ride except on the weekend. From Franklin to Highlands on 64 is another good ride again depending on tourists. Turn left at Ducktown and follow 68 to Tellico, then take Cherohala over to Robbinsville and continue 143 to 28. Go toward the Nantahala Gorge and take Wayah Bald south toward Franklin for additional twisty road riding on the way. Just got home from Turtletown Sunday so guess I should be responsible for a while.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Me and the wife are prepping as we speak.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    I'm the same way...a handful of titanium in my lower back, torn ACL in my knee (that the Navy docs declined to repair), and bad feet. When I did the hike in last year I just took my time, observed the forest wonder around me while I rested and before I knew it I was in the Enchanted Forest! Yes there are some uphills but it is do-able for just about anyone. We have serpas that will assist if needed.
    No need to push yourself, although the wife always asks me where the fire is that I have to be in that much of a hurry. I need to learn to calm down and enjoy the hike. I tend to get mission oriented sometimes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast