Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amsteel Problem

Amsteel Problem

Hi there, Just wanted to ask, Has anybody had a problem with 7/64 Amsteel breaking with only 158 pounds? My wife just made me a
    Bridge Hammock (a project in work) and we were trialing a suspension using Amsteel. The Amsteel was a year old and never used before. Now that this happened we are trying to figure out which way to go. Either Amsteel along the stressful long edge in the casing (like grizz) or 1/2 inch webbing (like hunterdad) then Amsteel from the end of hammock to tree straps. so...everyone out there...you know more than us. Help, please.
    Gary and Barb from Claremont,NH

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    IMO the 7/64 would be too thin for a hammock suspension. I would have gone with 1/8" instead. Also, the 1600lb. breaking strength is for a static load, dynamic loading would be less. Any shock to the rope would lessen the rating.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    I am new on here myself but from what I've read I thought the 7/64 amsteel was the standard for most whoopie slings. I thought the 1/8 was reserved for heavier people. Did the line fail or the splice? Were there any sharp edges or chafe points where it failed? As a side note I think this is posted in the wrong section.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Even though I use 1/8 amsteel, I believe 7/64 failing is an anomaly. Thousands of hammock campers have used 7/64 for years under a wide variety of conditions, with an excellent record.

Possibly the failure, that happened to you, can be attributed to: a defect from factory, splicing that does not follow manufacturers recommendations, knots that have kinks or were not tightened before loading (causing movement and hot friction), abrasion, too flat hang angle not close to 30*——this could be some time in past and not actual time of failure, shock loading from one or more campers plopping into hammock all of sudden. Unusual angle of amsteel triangle at end of bridge hammock——not related to angle of hang.

No criticism of original poster. Stuff happens, and might never know cause. I think 7/64 will be fine on your next rig—-if all precautions are observed.

I use 1/8 amsteel, cause I’m a skeeerdy cat and I use knots and an off the wall suspension that does not always set at 30*. And sometimes my grandkids jump in together.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never had Amsteel 7/64 break in 8 years of using it. I use it for whoopie slings, continuous loops, soft shackles, dog bones, etc. If it is properly spliced (no knots), using a proper bend radius, and your hang angle isn't something crazy like 5 degrees, you should be able to trust it.

I'd like to see pictures of what you were doing with the Amsteel to get a better idea of what may have caused the failure.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I’ve had the same experience as SS and agree with him. I’d also like to see pictures or get more details.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I've been using 7/64" Amsteel for all my hammock suspensions. Only issue I had was during the initial set when it slipped through a constrictor connection. No issues since then.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Agree with the previous sentiments. While I prefer ⅛" amsteel because I'm a big fella who enjoys a healthy safety margin, I've hung many times from both 7/64" continuous loops and whoopie slings with no issues whatsoever. Only reasons I could imagine amsteel failing under such a light load in the hammock would be if it were improperly spliced or otherwise damaged in some significant way.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

amsteel break

Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    Agree with the previous sentiments. While I prefer ⅛" amsteel because I'm a big fella who enjoys a healthy safety margin, I've hung many times from both 7/64" continuous loops and whoopie slings with no issues whatsoever. Only reasons I could imagine amsteel failing under such a light load in the hammock would be if it were improperly spliced or otherwise damaged in some significant way.

Response from everyone has shown me that amsteel is safe if used properly. so i have looked at past notes in suspension and have learned alot...no knots, no hang at less than 30 degrees, and no tight turns.
    So I was actually just trying to hang my bridge hammock project with a temporary set up using amsteel (with knot and tight turn) so I could decide next step in managing its suspension... you could say I did all the wrong things with amsteel!

i will learn from this experience and from you guys... you are a great bunch!
    This has been very helpful and i am sure i will be back for more help in the near future. as of now i will learn how to splice amsteel!
    thanks Barb of barbgary.

(Not an expert)
    I would say that the angle does not have to be at least 30°, but, the less the angle the greater the forces.
    Some hammocks are recommended to be more like 25°.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast