Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amsteel Problem

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    in an earlier post i have posted a pic of my jeep towing the grandson's one ton dualy across our pasture and him towing me back.

i had inserted a 36" dogbone made with 7/64" AMSTEEL BLUE between the chain(used to provide distance) and a trailer ball hitch

the dogbone is stii intact

your situation could only be a combination of no-no's as you have determined

btw i weigh in @ 275# +/- and my 7/64" whoopsies haven't allowed a meeting between the ground and the ole LARDUSS BOTTOMUSS MAXIMUSS

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barbgary View Post
    Response from everyone has shown me that amsteel is safe if used properly. so i have looked at past notes in suspension and have learned alot...no knots, no hang at less than 30 degrees, and no tight turns.
    So I was actually just trying to hang my bridge hammock project with a temporary set up using amsteel (with knot and tight turn) so I could decide next step in managing its suspension... you could say I did all the wrong things with amsteel!

i will learn from this experience and from you guys... you are a great bunch!
    This has been very helpful and i am sure i will be back for more help in the near future. as of now i will learn how to splice amsteel!
    thanks Barb of barbgary.
    Early in my hammocking I managed to snap a 1200 lb rated cord, not intentionally, owing to bad choice of knot, flat angle, and a dynamic load. Need to have a bumper sticker for hangers, "Geometry Kills". 7/64" is perfectly fine for just about anything you might do .... except with knots and acute angles!

I noted with interest your declaration of Claremont, NH as hometown. I lived in Cornish, just up the road, for seven years. My youngest was born in the Claremont hospital. Welcome to HF!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    bumper sticker for hangers, "Geometry Kills".
    I’d buy one of those... I’m thinking a “GrizzlyStore” is long overdue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Grizz, This is Gary. Was was raised in Cornish myself. Stone house on rt 120, I lived on the other side of the straight-a-way. From the late 50's to about 1970. Lets keep in touch.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Amsteel Problem

Phantom, guessing again, without pictures, without facts of original posters set up, and without a good grounding in math and physics.

If if if, the two amsteel leads originating at hammock and joining together towards tree to form two sides of triangle (third side of triangle is spreader bar)——what if those two equal sides were made extremely short, to save space between trees, and save weight, and stay under tarp? Could an extreme shortness of those two sides, stress amsteel enough to cause it to break?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    your instincts are on target, no formal training needed. Short triangle sides not only induce high compression on the spreader bar, but will be under high geometrically induced load themselves. That's why we bridge guys say things like the length of a triangle leg needs to be at least 80% the length of the spreader bar.
    Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Grizz, This is Gary. Was was raised in Cornish myself. Stone house on rt 120, I lived on the other side of the straight-a-way. From the late 50's to about 1970. Lets keep in touch.
    How 'bout that. I remember a stone house on the west side of 120, south of Townhouse Rd. Wonder if that was it.
    We lived on the gravel road that passes though the Cornish Fairgrounds, North Parsonage Rd, 1996-2003. Big white clapboard place on the east side, about 1/4 mile north from Townhouse Rd. Very nice place to live...when it had water...but that's a different story. Great to hear from you!
    Grizz

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Response from everyone has shown me that amsteel is safe if used properly. so i have looked at past notes in suspension and have learned alot...no knots, no hang at less than 30 degrees, and no tight turns.
    So I was actually just trying to hang my bridge hammock project with a temporary set up using amsteel (with knot and tight turn) so I could decide next step in managing its suspension... you could say I did all the wrong things with amsteel!

i will learn from this experience and from you guys... you are a great bunch!
    This has been very helpful and i am sure i will be back for more help in the near future. as of now i will learn how to splice amsteel!
    thanks Barb of barbgary.
    Get into splicing!!! It's a blast!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12