The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    Hm, I'm not sure it's worth it to forgo the Whoopie Slings and Marlin Spike Hitch.
    The Whoopie slings give me easy adjust-ability for very little weight, where as the Becket Hitch or J-Bend relies on the length of the Straps, which for the UHMWPE is 5 grams per foot, where as Amsteel is 1.5 grams per foot.
    Aren't UHMWPE straps around the 2.2 - 2.4 grams per foot mark? And for every extra foot of whoopie sling you need two feet of Amsteel to create a loop, so 1.5 grams becomes 3 grams per foot.

Beckets are very quick and easy to tie, but I've always found them a bit hard to untie, which is especially annoying when you need to make a bunch of small adjustments when setting up. I'm intrigued by the idea of adding an additional small loop to the CL to pull on when untying the becket, as shown in this video:
    https://youtu.be/qnwqPPquPRs?t=3m1s

And combine that with straps with measurements marked on them (as discussed here recently) and it might make multiple small adjustments even easier with beckets.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The Venom 'flavor' of UHMWPE is 1.7g per foot. Myerstech is 2.4g per foot.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Great advice from KC and others on the hammock and tarp. I don't DIY those items so I can't help there.

However, there are a few of us UL/minimalist types on HF who can help lighten the rest of the load. For a good intro to all aspects of UL, take a look at Mike Clelland's videos on YouTube. His book, Ultralight Backpackin' Tips, also has some good ideas and reinforces the general philosophy around UL. You begin to understand that it's not so much about weight (although that's a huge side benefit ) as it is about simplifying and doing more with less stuff.

One hammock-related suggestion (for suspension) is to use a couple of 12-15' UHMWPE straps (Venom, Myerstech, Dutch spider) tied directly into hammock CLs with Becket hitch or J-Bend. The advantage of straps is that they can be used with more closely spaced trees where whoopies would be too long. Here is my entire suspension—2x 15' Venom straps with Evo loops—which weighs 2.05oz:
    Attachment 165261

"Back in the day" I carried about 35 lbs of "stuff" for a simple overnighter; nowadays I carry less than 10 lbs and it is so much more fun. I have absolutely no dread of hills!
    Attachment 165262
    OK, I have to ask:

What’s an Evo loop? Looks a lot like a soft shackle from that picture. What do you use them for?

Thanks!

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    OK, I have to ask:

What’s an Evo loop? Looks a lot like a soft shackle from that picture. What do you use them for?

Thanks!
    Sorta like an easy-to-use, not-so-secure, soft shackle. Here's how to make them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxF5ijiLToY

I use them on my tree straps as shown in this video, and also in place of a Dutch hook on my tarp ridgeline.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe not quite as secure as a SS but certainly secure enough, and easier to make and easier to release when wet or frozen. I've hung off 'em a bunch with zero problems.

Seriously, this isn't going to fail:
    Evo_Loop_tree_strap_Venom_SMALL.jpg
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hm, I'm not sure it's worth it to forgo the Whoopie Slings and Marlin Spike Hitch...Amsteel is 1.5 grams per foot.
    Utility constrictor ropes (UCRs) can be even lighter and less bulky than whoopies. This UCR set with Dutchware Spider Web huggers allows me to hang from a 25" diameter tree on each end of the suspension and still span a hang gap of 30 feet, and by letting the loop pass onto the UCR I can safely wrap a 35" tree without damaging the bark. It weighs 90 grams (108 if you add the optional titanium Dutch Clips). My $0.02. HYOH...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1871923
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Utility constrictor ropes (UCRs) can be even lighter and less bulky than whoopies. This UCR set with Dutchware Spider Web huggers allows me to hang from a 25" diameter tree on each end of the suspension and still span a hang gap of 30 feet, and by letting the loop pass onto the UCR I can safely wrap a 35" tree without damaging the bark. It weighs 90 grams (108 if you add the optional titanium Dutch Clips). My $0.02. HYOH...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1871923
    If I lived in The Land of Big Trees I'd definitely consider a rig like this!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SMR Stratus
    Insulation
    DIY Black Diamond
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5 Straps
    Oh shoot, you're right. I was calculating from the total mass of BOTH straps, not one!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Oh shoot, you're right. I was calculating from the total mass of BOTH straps, not one!
    Here are 2x 15' Venom straps and 2x 7/64" amsteel Evo loops, which are a bit shorter than the 1/8" ones I had on there. So I can now claim to have a Sub 2oz Suspension... if only by a nick!

sub_2oz_suspension_SMALL.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Here are 2x 15' Venom straps and 2x 7/64" amsteel Evo loops, which are a bit shorter than the 1/8" ones I had on there. So I can now claim to have a Sub 2oz Suspension... if only by a nick!

sub_2oz_suspension_SMALL.jpg
    THAT is impressive.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast