DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SMR Stratus
    Insulation
    DIY Black Diamond
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5 Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    No. Go for it if that sounds good to you, and start a thread in the DIY forum to document your project and let us know how that works out.
    Cool, will do!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    Hey everyone!
    Longtime hammock camper, but I've never tried to go ultralight with it.
    But, I need to respect that I have almost no weight tolerance, so I'm turning into a gram weenie!

To start with, I've ordered 3 yards of Xenon 1.0 for a hammock, 2 UHMWPE straps, and 3 yards of Xenon Sil Wide for a tarp.
    I know, of course, I could buy Cuben Fiber/Dyneema and go lighter, but I'm not made of money so that isn't a viable option.

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions for other ways to go lighter?
    Great advice from KC and others on the hammock and tarp. I don't DIY those items so I can't help there.

However, there are a few of us UL/minimalist types on HF who can help lighten the rest of the load. For a good intro to all aspects of UL, take a look at Mike Clelland's videos on YouTube. His book, Ultralight Backpackin' Tips, also has some good ideas and reinforces the general philosophy around UL. You begin to understand that it's not so much about weight (although that's a huge side benefit ) as it is about simplifying and doing more with less stuff.

One hammock-related suggestion (for suspension) is to use a couple of 12-15' UHMWPE straps (Venom, Myerstech, Dutch spider) tied directly into hammock CLs with Becket hitch or J-Bend. The advantage of straps is that they can be used with more closely spaced trees where whoopies would be too long. Here is my entire suspension—2x 15' Venom straps with Evo loops—which weighs 2.05oz:
    Venom_straps_compact_02.jpg

"Back in the day" I carried about 35 lbs of "stuff" for a simple overnighter; nowadays I carry less than 10 lbs and it is so much more fun. I have absolutely no dread of hills!
    Pack_dump.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Also, I wanted to try and do a no-sewing tarp, using Seam Seal to get my hems and attach my tie-outs. Do you have any experience with doing something like that?

I have done three tarps with no-sew corner & ridge reinforcements, but opted to sew the hems. Not sure I would want to screw with Silnet for as much rolled hem as is needed on a tarp.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SMR Stratus
    Insulation
    DIY Black Diamond
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5 Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I have done three tarps with no-sew corner & ridge reinforcements, but opted to sew the hems. Not sure I would want to screw with Silnet for as much rolled hem as is needed on a tarp.
    I could still do that, but my sewing machine is an old singer that doesn't like to work most of the time. So, I was opting to experiment and see how I could do it without sewing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ....One hammock-related suggestion (for suspension) is to use a couple of 12-15' UHMWPE straps (Venom, Myerstech, Dutch spider) tied directly into hammock CLs with Becket hitch or J-Bend. The advantage of straps is that they can be used with more closely spaced trees where whoopies would be too long. Here is my entire suspension—2x 15' Venom straps with Evo loops—which weighs 2.05oz:
    Venom_straps_compact_02.jpg
    I have also switched to a simple 15' strap (I have Spider, MT & Kevlar) with phantom grappler hitch at the tree and a J-Bend to the CL's. No hardware. I do carry a set of minimalist dynaglide ucrs.. just in case I encounter some REALLY fat trees or a long hang.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I could still do that, but my sewing machine is an old singer that doesn't like to work most of the time. So, I was opting to experiment and see how I could do it without sewing.

I hear that... My machine is a 1940 Singer Featherweight... old and REALLY small. Never say never.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SMR Stratus
    Insulation
    DIY Black Diamond
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5 Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I hear that... My machine is a 1940 Singer Featherweight... old and REALLY small. Never say never.
    Mines about the same! I think I dated it at 1960s. It's got an external motor and wheel, so I could hook it up to a treadle if I ever find one.
    But it's just not great, not sure if it's age, or just generally a crap machine. Likes to double up on the bobbin thread and seize the whole operation!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You're not doing it right until everything you have is tyvek and thin, light crinkly plastic. Basically, act like a homeless person out in the woods

+1 on the simple strap and becket hitch suspension, simple and light and less bulky . I'm not a knot guy but this one is easy and worth it.

Also its usually the first thing mentioned in any article about going lighter but it bears repeating. Simply bring less stuff. It seems obvious enough but stare at your pile or list long enough and you'll see some stuff that you either can do without or could be pulling double duty.

Good luck on your quest.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SMR Stratus
    Insulation
    DIY Black Diamond
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5 Straps
    Hm, I'm not sure it's worth it to forgo the Whoopie Slings and Marlin Spike Hitch.
    The Whoopie slings give me easy adjust-ability for very little weight, where as the Becket Hitch or J-Bend relies on the length of the Straps, which for the UHMWPE is 5 grams per foot, where as Amsteel is 1.5 grams per foot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast