Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

NEW RSBTR Winter 12 Tarp Pics needed

Ok either I am starting to loose it or I can't locate recent pictures of the RSBTR winter 12 tarp finished builds either on here or on ripstops website so...........I know huge favor right, I am asking you to brag on your builds but with pics

So can anyone who has recently purchased precut patterns please post some pics of your finished project with some information - - Like did you use a pattern, did you use their tutorial or did you use a tutorial in general and if so from where, did you construct as it was laid out or did you improvise/modify anything? Most importantly is there any tricks to completing the project? I have already made one but I wasn't happy with the outcome - my hammock is so long that the tarp doesn't quite cover end to end and I have to reign in my ridgeline to accomodate.

Help a brother out cause mine is coming on Tuesday and I want to dial this baby in. I am also going to create another hammock (my first one is awesome but HEAVY. 1.9 ounce poly backed double layer.)

I will most likely modify this a bit further to accept a pad since I think I will use this one in conjuction with my 0* zeplin to get me down below zero next winter but that is another topic. See below but this was my first attempt and again I love it but combined total it must weigh over 10 lbs.
    Green Side.jpg
    Stinger Hammock.jpg
    Hammock Under the Tarp.jpg

Thanks in advance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well I have made two of the Winter Tarps using the design RSBTR has posted. Plus about 6 or 8 taps of other styles.
    - I found if you go much over 12 ft. The tarp sags.
    - I have built 12 ft. tarps where I designed and cut the cat curves.
    - I like to build tarps & part of the challenge is doing the cat cuts on 12 foot long panels. Sewing the ridge line is also a challenge. Slow, easy, I use clips and pins.
    - I use the floor to cut the length of fabric
    Into the 12 ft. panels.
    - I mark the right side of the fabric. I found Silver grey to been a major P.I.T.A. to work with.
    - Start with a new needle.
    - Have two full bobins when you start.
    - Thread inject only when you feel like injecting thread.
    - Go slow, pay attwntion to the bottom fabric, keep every thing neat.
    - No kids, cats or puppies.
    - Stop bwfore you are tired.

I have not used the pre cut tarps.
    I have used Dutch's layout and RSBTR plus my favorite Gargoyles unique design. Gargoyles tarp wilalmost every sleeping spot at minimal fabric use.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 06-09-2018 at 18:35.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I did two 12' Hex tarps in 1,0 Silpoly, using the precut material. One with doors, one without. (Also made a 0.9 Silpoly membrane asym tarp). I don't have the room to measure and cut, so the precut was a blessing for me. I didn't use instructions.. not my first tarp. I opted for no-sew corner reinforcement and a Standing Franch Seam for the ridge. I used the grosgrain for the seam for the ridge tie out using the same method Warbonnet uses. Added DIY 2QZQ style pole pockets, and a ribbon in the ridge to tie the pole, so I added another set of reinforcements for the pole pocket. I ordered the hardware kit for the first one, and didn't use any of it.. so I skipped it for the second. If you want to order just the tarp, I still have the hardware you can have for cheap...

Definitely start with two, even three loaded bobbins. Go slow.. Slow is smooth...smooth is fast!!

There are more pictures in my forum albums. Also pictures of my DIY hammock build.

Questions are welcome, but I am heading out for an overnighter, so I likely won't reply until Sunday night..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I did two 12' Hex tarps in 1,0 Silpoly, using the precut material. One with doors, one without. (Also made a 0.9 Silpoly membrane asym tarp). I don't have the room to measure and cut, so the precut was a blessing for me. I didn't use instructions.. not my first tarp. I opted for no-sew corner reinforcement and a Standing Franch Seam for the ridge. I used the grosgrain for the seam for the ridge tie out using the same method Warbonnet uses. Added DIY 2QZQ style pole pockets, and a ribbon in the ridge to tie the pole, so I added another set of reinforcements for the pole pocket. I ordered the hardware kit for the first one, and didn't use any of it.. so I skipped it for the second. If you want to order just the tarp, I still have the hardware you can have for cheap...

Definitely start with two, even three loaded bobbins. Go slow.. Slow is smooth...smooth is fast!!

There are more pictures in my forum albums. Also pictures of my DIY hammock build.

Questions are welcome, but I am heading out for an overnighter, so I likely won't reply until Sunday night..
    Not bad that looks pretty sharp. I'm pretty excited I just got word that my tarp arrived 2 days early and should be sitting on my doorstep right now. I'll do this for everyone I'll take lots of pictures and I'll videotape and I'll post a video on the build when I'm done. I made one other tarp but I'm not exactly happy with how it turned out. It's probably about 3 to 4 inch Too Short on each side. I have to rain in my Ridgeline in order for my hammock to fit underneath it.
    One quick question I have is how water resistant are these lighter tarps?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Made my wife a 12’ tarp with door from RSBTR’s precut kit. One of the easiest tarps I’ve ever made! It’s extremely water resistant, but it’s not their ultralight material.

FFDA8368-F40D-40AA-8356-459CE8C56F1F.jpg 2C6A0C26-E283-4664-9052-D1FAB2BCB878.jpg
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    Made my wife a 12’ tarp with door from RSBTR’s precut kit. One of the easiest tarps I’ve ever made! It’s extremely water resistant, but it’s not their ultralight material.

FFDA8368-F40D-40AA-8356-459CE8C56F1F.jpg 2C6A0C26-E283-4664-9052-D1FAB2BCB878.jpg
    jcksparow - not bad either!! Thanks for the Pics - looks like a solid tarp. How much rain/moisture has the tarp seen? Just curious to know what to expect. Also what material? Mine I believe are the 1.1 sil nylon.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    So I definitely received the tarp yesterday. USPS must be kicking some but because that was 4 days early - 2 days if you just count business days, but still way to go USPS!!! I will have to eat some of the bad things I have said. Will probably film the making of this and see if RSBTR wants to use it but thanks for all the advice and support ya'll - - Pics to come when I get home tonight.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    jcksparow - not bad either!! Thanks for the Pics - looks like a solid tarp. How much rain/moisture has the tarp seen? Just curious to know what to expect. Also what material? Mine I believe are the 1.1 sil nylon.
    It's the 1.1 Silpoly, if I recall correctly. Did a flat-felled seam for the ridge-line and sealed with Permatex flowable silicone. It's seen a good deal of heavy rain and even a few nights of snow. No complaints yet!
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Mine is 1.1 Silpoly.. Standing French Seam. A few heavy rain showers.. no leaking.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    It's the 1.1 Silpoly, if I recall correctly. Did a flat-felled seam for the ridge-line and sealed with Permatex flowable silicone. It's seen a good deal of heavy rain and even a few nights of snow. No complaints yet!
    Nice! That's great news. Did you guys use a groigain boarder around the tarp or just for the reinforcement areas? I am not certain how strong the trarp will be without it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast