Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New here and looking for advice before I purchase my first hammock system

I am not 100% sure that I will be able to hammock camp but I really want to try it out. I don't want to spend a ton of money to start with but I don't really want to go with the gear you find at WMart either.

I am 5'3" and 116 pounds and have been looking at the Hennessy Scout (Zip) to get my feet wet. Seems like a company that has been around a while and it looks like they make a decent product at a decent price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other hammocks I should consider?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    This is what the Master has to say on the subject...

I'll add that the youth-sized Hennessy hammocks -- the Scout Zip and the Cub Zip -- are actually pretty nice entry-level hangs, with the exception of the very minimal rain flies and the lashing rope suspension. The diagonal lay is dedicated head left/feet right, and they are not super-light, but they are sturdy with good zippers and construction. I bought my young daughter a Cub Zip on sale for $59 delivered to the US two years ago, converted it to whoopie slings and proper tree huggers, and got her a hex tarp, and it has turned out to be a fantastic value.

There are a lot of good cottage vendor hammocks from which to choose, and my best advice would be to do a lot of research here first and then choose a good-quality, affordable, versatile option from one of them -- buy once, cry once. However, if the initial outlay that choice represents is more than you want to venture on your hammock camping experiment, there is nothing wrong with finding a sufficiently sized mass-market imported hammock and a bug net, pitching it under a cheap poly utility tarp, and giving it a whirl...

Good luck.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 06-08-2018 at 11:50.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    As always, try a group hang where you can sleep in a borrowed hammock and see if you like it. Also, an inexpensive cottage hammock can always be fun just for lounging.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Even starting with low cost in mind. Get a hammock 11 feet long by 5 feet wide. Lots of cottage vendors that are listed on Hammock Forums have hammocks that size. Some hammocks that are made overseas and sold online are extremely short and narrow. This can impact your comfort even though you are not a large person.
    And If you don’t like hammock camping, you will be able to sell online and get some of your money back.
    And you will need insulation above and below, especially below, even if the overnight low is 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Do not use tree straps made with nylon——they stretch too much and sag overnight.
    Good luck You can do it, I believe you will have fun.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I would recommend going to a group hang, too. If you can't do that, get a simple no-net 11' hammock to find out if you can sleep in a hammock. Dutch would be an obvious source, because you can get everything you need in one place. Another great choice would be a Warbonnet Traveler XL. My 1.7 Heavyweight DL is one of my absolute favorites at home. I'm 5'4", so not much taller than you. But there are lots of great vendors like Simply Light Designs, Dream Hammock, Wilderness Logics, Butt in a Sling and many others.

I would pass on Hennessy, because their hammocks are for the most part short, narrow and heavy. If you can get one very cheap, it might be OK in the beginning. But many sell their Hennessys once they had the chance to use something longer, wider and lighter. On the other hand, there's always a use for a comfortable no-net hammock, even if you get something with more features for hiking later on.

If you're just wanting to know if you can SLEEP in a hammock, start with a netless gathered end hammock and simple suspension like straps and cinch buckles. Set up in your own yard, wriggle into your sleeping bag and try it out on a night when you know it won't rain. This time of year in your part of the country you should be comfortable enough to begin learning.

If you want to go CAMPING as opposed to learning to sleep in a hammock, that introduces a few additional requirements: rain protection, insect protection and making sure you're warm enough. Cheapest solution for the rain is a blue poly tarp from Wally World (I still have mine). Cheapest insulation is a pad. Cheapest bug protection is probably a headnet and keeping the rest of your body covered in the sleeping bag.

At your height and weight a ten foot hammock should be comfortable and might save a buck or two over an 11 footer. If you look at the vendor forums you'll see plenty of good choices. If you're buying from someone who has a forum on hammockforums you can base your decision on price and how quickly they ship. All the cottage vendors are reputable. Look in the For Sale forum too. There might be someone selling just what you need at a discount.

I don't want to slight vendors from whom I have not bought, so this list is NOT a top ten or anything like that. My goal is to ultimately own something from as many different cottage shops as I can, LOL. But so far I have bought goods and/or services from all these guys and can recommend any of them:

Arrowhead equipment
    Dutchware
    Ripstop by the roll
    Jacks R Better
    Warbonnet
    Hammock gear
    2QZQ

In addition, I've owned a Hennessy Expedition and it's a well engineered system. If you can find it on sale, you should fit it well. Finally, while I have not yet bought from Dream Hammocks I am considering a particular hammock from them as well and feel I should mention them.

Edited to add: As of the time I'm posting this there is a Warbonnet Traveler in the For Sale forum that might be a nice introduction to hammocks.
    Last edited by sidneyhornblower; 06-09-2018 at 05:48. Reason: added for sale info
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Just after I had the thought of, "I wonder if I'd like to sleep in a hammock," I found hammockforums.net. Soon, it was information overload with all the new terminology, acronyms, and info. I visited the suggested vendor websites and with so many options (and very little explanation), I knew that I first had to answer the question of whether or not I enjoyed sleeping in a hammock before investing a lot of time and energy educating myself.

So, I decided to proof it out, on the cheap: Grand Trunk Ultralight ($20) and a used hammock stand.

Set it up inside my house. The first night, I learned that CBS (cold butt syndrome) occurs indoors, too.
    By the second or third night, my brain had figured out that I wasn't going to launch myself out of the hammock.

Loved it and I've been an indoor/backyard hanger ever since. I've even built a few hammock stands.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Depending on how cheap you want to go, try Bear butt. They were pretty great and lower cost.

Moving up, Dutchware Is AWESOME and has some cheaper options as well. Much better quality than Bear butt!

I have not tried out my newest yet, a Warbonnet Blackbird Xlc....but so far I love the quality!!! But it is a bit on the not so cheap side

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Watch Shug’s ten part video series How to Hang a Hammock, How to tarp, How to insulate, How to use suspensions. Etc. Ten short entertaining and informative videos——that answer lots of questions and that you will enjoy.

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I'd also consider how you prefer to sleep (back, side, etc). I think if you sleep on your back, you can work with just about any style of hammock (gathered end, bridge, 90 degree) but if you are a side sleeper....well, I feel like we side sleepers are a little more "high maintenance" = $$$ But, if you are a back sleeper, there are lots of inexpensive options available to you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast