Hammock
    TTTM - Double
    Insulation
    ROOST 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Hummingbird

Fabric Differences

I have been hammock camping for about a year now and I decided that i wanted to change up a few things.
    1. Look at ultralight products/materials
    2. Get another hammock because....why not?

I have decided that I want to make a whipped end hammock, being the DIYer that I am and all. While looking at all of the available materials and methods for doing this, I start thinking, other than weight, what the heck is the difference in the materials (Xenon Sil, Hexon, Nylon, Silpoly, etc.) Like, I'm not looking for anything super nerdy and scientific-y, just the physic characteristic differences between the different materials (stretch/no stretch, breaths, soft/stiff, wight limit, waterproof, plastic-y, etc. etc.) is there somewhere that explains this to help decide why I might want to choose choice A over choice B?

Thank you for your help.

RSBTR has a good FAQ as far as weight limits go:

https://ripstopbytheroll.zendesk.com...mparison-chart

Based on your desired weight limit, you can start to zero in on a weight of fabric that meets your requirements. Then you cross-index that with your other requirements to find the right fabric, or you compromise if it doesn't exist.

You don't want silpoly or silnylon for a hammock which are non-breathable, you want a breathable material. So polyester or nylon. Polyester tends to feel more plastic-y, is not as strong as nylon, but is firmer and more UV resistant. Nylon is, of course, more cotton-y, strong, but stretchier and less UV resistant. That will narrow down the choices a good bit.

Do you want a wide hammock or standard width? If wide, you'll need to choose a fabric that comes in a wide width or be prepared to seam some fabric together. Not all fabrics come in a wide width, so more narrowing of choices.

If you're trying to go UL, you might want to consider a stronger fabric such as the ROBIC or MTN line vs "standard" ripstop fabric. It's a little more expensive and slightly less soft, but offers a little more insurance on the weight limit for a similar weight of fabric.

It used to be that you also needed to consider patterns if you wanted a particular color or camo, but with the advent of printed fabrics you have more latitude.

Since UL is one of your goals, you're probably looking at something in the 1.0 - 1.2 osy realm which narrows down the possibilities considerably. 1.1 poly ripstop is one of the few polyester options if you prioritize firmness and UV resistance. Otherwise, you're looking at nylon in the 1.0 to 1.2 range with a decision around a "standard" ripstop vs a "beefier" ROBIC or MTN. And if you want a wide fabric, you'd be limited to ROBIC & MTN.

That is just my thought process, and I'm working from the RSBTR portfolio since that's what I'm most familiar with.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    TTTM - Double
    Insulation
    ROOST 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Hummingbird
    Holy cows! Thanks a ton. That's a lot of great info. That should definitely get me started in the right direction. I do want to do some of the ultralight items, but I do have to take MY weight into consideration to. I weigh just enough that I need to pay attention to those restrictions...lol Thanks again for the info, that's a lot more than I was expecting.

• + New Posts