DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs

Best lightweight pad

So I've never used any thing but UQ's for my hammock but our next section of the AT will be the smokies. I'm going to need a pad for the shelters but also want to be prepared with my hammock if the shelters are full. So what's the best option for a lightweight pad? I like the weight of the short xlite but it's only 20" wide. I looked at the Nemo tensor at 25" and 12oz it seems like a good option. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mshanger View Post
    So I've never used any thing but UQ's for my hammock but our next section of the AT will be the smokies. I'm going to need a pad for the shelters but also want to be prepared with my hammock if the shelters are full. So what's the best option for a lightweight pad? I like the weight of the short xlite but it's only 20" wide. I looked at the Nemo tensor at 25" and 12oz it seems like a good option. Thoughts?
    I’ve had good results with a Klymit Inertia O-Zone inflating swiss-cheese holey pad in the hammock. Light (360gm) and rolls to the size of a small drinking bottle. Would be minimally acceptable on the ground for a back-sleeper. (I’m tall and broad-shouldered.)

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have been using a Neoair Trekker for several weeks. It is 47x25 and has an R rating of 3.0. I have an extended back pack trip coming up and thought I would take the Trekker instead of the HG Phoenix or AHD Ridgecreek that I also use with my modified Hammocktent Gamma. My thinking is that since it is summer it will be warm enough, it inflates/deflates fast, and it is bomber weather wise.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I haven’t tried it, but the Klymit Hammock pad looks viable.

As for actual Trail experience, I would suggest Tim Watson on YouTube. He only uses a pad for his hammock and does so with success.

https://youtu.be/IzBMwSUYwEE

Hammock
    Dutchware/Dream
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mshanger View Post
    I like the weight of the short xlite but it's only 20" wide.
    A lot of folks pick up the large version at 25" wide for this reason, and then cut 'em short for weight savings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Fx6TLNEJQ

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    This weekend I used the Klymit Insulated UL Sl V for the first time, which I got from a HF member. The temperature was in the low 30's, and very breezy, with some rain at night. I did not feel like taking a bunch of down parts for this trip. Using a Hennessy Super Shelter system undercover, and no other under insulation, or thermal reflective material, it performed much better than I expected. However using the Klymit pad by itself did not result in the same warmth as down insulation, but it was not uncomfortable either. This partucular Klymit pad stays put, and probably will be part of my permanant winter hammock group. The insulation material inside the pad re-lofts to about 1/2 " thick after inflation. With a mylar, or other reflective layer, it probably would feel warmer.
    15.9 oz. R value 4.4
    Am looking forward to experimenting with much lower temperatures.

https://www.klymit.com/insulated-ult...eping-pad.html
    Last edited by psyculman; 10-15-2018 at 05:25.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts