Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Super light hammock lifespan ?

I did have a ridge line , is it harder to find the perfect trees with a shorter hammock? Wa no it’s harder to find for 11 Ft’s
    I get a good flat or side sleep in the smaller hammocks , most of the Hennessy’s are 9 ft’s . This idea that you need 11 to be comfortable is always pushed . The rip began midway along the sewn edge channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JoshD; 06-06-2018 at 20:47.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshD View Post
    I did have a ridge line , is it harder to find the perfect trees with a shorter hammock?
    I don't think the hammock is the limiting factor on trees - it's your tarp. The DD Superlight is only 8.8 feet long, so theoretically, you could use a 9 or 10 ft. tarp.

As for 11 ft. hammocks, I'm a big fan. I'm 5'11" and I just find 11 ft. hammocks are infinitely more comfortable than shorter hammocks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As I write this I am hanging in a dream hammock Darien made with 1.7 robic. It is part of my ultralight kit for a quick overnighter, with a base weight of less than 8 pounds. I know it sounds counterintuitive, and anathema to the UL mindset, but UL base weights are fairly easily achieved without using gossamer materials for a Superlight hammock. There are plenty of other areas where weight can be reduced.

Pack Base weight 7.6 lbs, total pack weight 9.6 lbs, skin-out weight 13.3 lbs
    Pack_dump.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-07-2018 at 11:22.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Well now. Superlight hammocks seemed like a great idea to me -- for a while. My first one lasted about 5 days, then blew out on the last day of a Sierra backpack. The second one lasted just minutes, dropping me onto a cement slab during testing. The second fall cured me of the disease. I want no more of that.

There is a lot to be said for reliability -- and safety! But the final answer is: "it depends".

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There are plenty of other areas where weight can be reduced.

Pack_dump.jpg
    Exactly !

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think if I were designing a truly ultralight gathered-end hammock and wanted to maximize its longevity, I think I'd bite the bullet on a few extra grams and whip the ends instead of using a sewn channel. When I have made very light gathered-end hammocks made from 1.0 oz materials using sewn channels, my channels are always double-layer even when the hammock body is single-layer, which only adds about 6 grams to the build but gives the hammock double the material at the channels and provides the stitch rows with much more to "bite into", apparently allowing the fabric to resist stitch elongation over time. I would favor a commercial ultralight hammock that used either of these two construction methods instead of the absolute skimpiest construction.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    Well now. Superlight hammocks seemed like a great idea to me -- for a while. My first one lasted about 5 days, then blew out on the last day of a Sierra backpack. The second one lasted just minutes, dropping me onto a cement slab during testing. The second fall cured me of the disease. I want no more of that.

There is a lot to be said for reliability -- and safety! But the final answer is: "it depends".
    What types of hammock failed so miserably Tom

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I think if I were designing a truly ultralight gathered-end hammock and wanted to maximize its longevity, I think I'd bite the bullet on a few extra grams and whip the ends instead of using a sewn channel. When I have made very light gathered-end hammocks made from 1.0 oz materials using sewn channels, my channels are always double-layer even when the hammock body is single-layer, which only adds about 6 grams to the build but gives the hammock double the material at the channels and provides the stitch rows with much more to "bite into", apparently allowing the fabric to resist stitch elongation over time. I would favor a commercial ultralight hammock that used either of these two construction methods instead of the absolute skimpiest construction.
    The channels on my DD held up ok it was a failure mid hammock

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    I been using a 1.0 robic hammock for a few years now I weigh 200lbs and have used it ALOT. It has never failed me. It even has a small hole in it my son put there and I just put some tape on either side and still been using it. I have several other hammocks but nothing is as comfortable as that robic material.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12