Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Question Interested in backpacking w/ a hammock - but I have concerns! (and so many questions)

I'm not an experienced camper or hiker, but the few experiences I've had have been so gratifying that I've decided to take up backpack camping and invest in some quality gear. I'm still debating whether to go the ground-sleeping route or a hammock set-up. I really want to do the hammock thing, but two things hold me back:

1 - Tarps. Not being an experienced camper, I really know nothing about rigging lines or tying knots, and I'm worried that the learning curve will have me getting rained on. A tent with a rain fly just seems easier and more secure - if not as comfortable.

2 - This is the biggie: warmth vs weight. I'm a 130lb woman and I sleep cold (even for a woman). I live in Ontario, Canada and if I want to camp into the shoulder seasons (I do) this means I'd need to be comfortable into temps just below freezing. But I'm also a solo camper/hiker - I need my pack to be lightweight because I'm just not that strong (yet). It seems that a set-up that would keep me warm wouldn't be that light.

Even with these worries, I'm still leaning towards a hammock set-ups because I just love laying in hammocks! I'm considering a WBBB or perhaps a DH Darien, but I would need a lot of help picking out the configuration.

Can anyone suggest a quilt or lightweight sleeping bag that would work in both a hammock and on the ground? What Comfort Rating should I be looking for? I keep thinking i need one that is at least Comfort -9C for me to be ok in -1C, or am I exaggerating? I'll probably use thermal baselayers to sleep.

Thanks so much and I love reading about this community!

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    TQ will work in both a hammock and on the ground. There are a ton of options. PM for ideas. As for the ground vs hammock for under insulation. You could bring an insulated pad and a double layered hammock. There are lots of options there, too. Down UQ are better for hammocks but won’t work on the ground. Tarps? Again. Lots of option from basic coverage to full coverage. Depends. Happy to give more info with more questions.
    Last edited by heyduff; 06-03-2018 at 19:49.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you are committing to hammock camping then get a high quality top and under quilts rated at least 10 degrees lower than the temps you will be hanging in and practice in your back yard before backpacking. These high quality down quilts are lightweight and well worth the cost for the warmth. Hammock Gear, Loco Libre, Underground Quilts, as well as others are some of the best quilts made.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Welcome to the forums!

For top insulation, I recommend a quilt for flexibility. I use Elightened Equipment - if just starting out I'd get the Revelation for the adjustable footbox. Get it one size wider than you think you "need". Not sure of your build but I like the Wide so I can roll to my side while I'm sleeping on the ground, but it's wider than I need in a hammock.

The advice given above is good so I won't add more.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I am in the Toronto area as well, I suspect there are lots of folks (me included) around here that could/would give you a walk through on some of the gear available.

Tarps whether for a tent or hammock are not any more or less difficult to use for either type of equipment, IMO.

Warmth isn't an accident, it is from design .... stop the heat leaving the top (TQ), stop the heat leaving the bottom (UQ)
    - regular Top Quilt or sleeping bag will work on or off the ground at keeping the heat from leaving the top... a TQ will be lighter and more compact generally
    - UQ works for hammocks, insulated pad IMO is best for a tent (love my Exped Downmat for tent)

Before you go and buy up equipment, be a good idea to go try some of this gear .... there are a lot of flavours of hammocks (GE, Bridge, Angled, tentsile) and the support gear to go with them .... the support gear cost will likely be where the bulk of the money gets spent, so it is important you have a good idea of what works for you.

Maybe consider asking here whether people in your area would mind listing their gear (or if they have gear you are looking at) and would they mind giving you a look/see .... you would have to narrow down "Toronto" as that is a 100 km swath which is likely to large a distance for gear demos.

Just a thought

Brian

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    It's about 50/50 in my backpacking group of friends (hangers vs ground dwellers). Hanging certainly has a steeper learning curve than simply setting up a tent, blowing up a pad, and going to sleep. However, for the difference in comfort it has been more than worth the expense (time/money).

I'm a big fan of the bridge hammocks, especially the double layer. If you can use your hiking poles as spreader bars then there can actually be a slight weight savings over a gathered end (less material, more narrow underquilt, etc.). Whether or not you get a bridge it's nice to have that double layer. There is a weight penalty but it's warmer and makes dealing with a pad much easier.

I'm a knot person so I don't use much hardware. If you're not, there are a variety of gadgets from Dutch and some other vendors that let you simply do some wraps and loops to quickly tension and adjust your ridgelines and guylines. However, you really only need to learn a few basic knots. I use the same 3 over and over again on every trip. A quick release knot for the end of the ridgeline, a tensioning knot for the other, and a quick-release friction hitch to make the guylines easily adjustable.

Tents to seem to weather high winds a bit better than most tarps. I've been through some pretty terrible storms in both. In the tent I just slept right through the night but a flapping tarp has kept me up sometimes in the hammock. Site selection becomes critical if you're going to encounter bad weather with both, just in different ways.

If you haven't already, watch a bunch of Shug's videos on Youtube. He's entertaining and informative. Hopefully that helps you make a decision. I hang when I can and sleep on the ground when I can't. My boys and I paddle camp often and sometimes we're just kind of stuck on a sandbar. That's a tough place to hang. Conversely, I can hang on a side hill above rocky ground. Try that in a tent.....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    The best thing would be if you could make to a HANG in your area so you can get a quick Hammock 101 class from those in your area. Tarps are not that hard. There are a few choices and you just have to choose the rigging method you like and practice a couple times. If you haven't found SHUG on youtube check him out for all kinds of hammock infomation. Also, The Ultimate Hang by Derek Hanson for basic info.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

My concern about quilts is drafts -- what if you turn over in your sleep and leave your back exposed?? It just seems a mummy style bag would be more heat-efficient. But of course they are heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Before you go and buy up equipment, be a good idea to go try some of this gear .... there are a lot of flavours of hammocks (GE, Bridge, Angled, tentsile) and the support gear to go with them .... the support gear cost will likely be where the bulk of the money gets spent, so it is important you have a good idea of what works for you.
    Oh I'd definitely be getting a gathered-end hammock since I'm looking for the lightest weight option. Asym makes sense. I think a bugnet is a must but other than that, I want to keep it simple and lightweight

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

For top insulation, I recommend a quilt for flexibility. I use Elightened Equipment - if just starting out I'd get the Revelation for the adjustable footbox. Get it one size wider than you think you "need". Not sure of your build but I like the Wide so I can roll to my side while I'm sleeping on the ground, but it's wider than I need in a hammock.
    Thanks! I was definitely looking at that one. I like how many options there are. I'd probably go for the 10F to be safe.

I was also looking at Katabatic Gear guilts. And what about Hammock Gear quilts? They seems more reasonably priced.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast