Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Interested in backpacking w/ a hammock - but I have concerns! (and so many questions)

I'm not an experienced camper or hiker, but the few experiences I've had have been so gratifying that I've decided to take up backpack camping and invest in some quality gear. I'm still debating whether to go the ground-sleeping route or a hammock set-up. I really want to do the hammock thing, but two things hold me back:

1 - Tarps. Not being an experienced camper, I really know nothing about rigging lines or tying knots, and I'm worried that the learning curve will have me getting rained on. A tent with a rain fly just seems easier and more secure - if not as comfortable.

2 - This is the biggie: warmth vs weight. I'm a 130lb woman and I sleep cold (even for a woman). I live in Ontario, Canada and if I want to camp into the shoulder seasons (I do) this means I'd need to be comfortable into temps just below freezing. But I'm also a solo camper/hiker - I need my pack to be lightweight because I'm just not that strong (yet). It seems that a set-up that would keep me warm wouldn't be that light.

Even with these worries, I'm still leaning towards a hammock set-ups because I just love laying in hammocks! I'm considering a WBBB or perhaps a DH Darien, but I would need a lot of help picking out the configuration.

Can anyone suggest a quilt or lightweight sleeping bag that would work in both a hammock and on the ground? What Comfort Rating should I be looking for? I keep thinking i need one that is at least Comfort -9C for me to be ok in -1C, or am I exaggerating? I'll probably use thermal baselayers to sleep.

Thanks so much and I love reading about this community!

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    TQ will work in both a hammock and on the ground. There are a ton of options. PM for ideas. As for the ground vs hammock for under insulation. You could bring an insulated pad and a double layered hammock. There are lots of options there, too. Down UQ are better for hammocks but won’t work on the ground. Tarps? Again. Lots of option from basic coverage to full coverage. Depends. Happy to give more info with more questions.
    Last edited by heyduff; 06-03-2018 at 19:49.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you are committing to hammock camping then get a high quality top and under quilts rated at least 10 degrees lower than the temps you will be hanging in and practice in your back yard before backpacking. These high quality down quilts are lightweight and well worth the cost for the warmth. Hammock Gear, Loco Libre, Underground Quilts, as well as others are some of the best quilts made.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Welcome to the forums!

For top insulation, I recommend a quilt for flexibility. I use Elightened Equipment - if just starting out I'd get the Revelation for the adjustable footbox. Get it one size wider than you think you "need". Not sure of your build but I like the Wide so I can roll to my side while I'm sleeping on the ground, but it's wider than I need in a hammock.

The advice given above is good so I won't add more.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

For top insulation, I recommend a quilt for flexibility. I use Elightened Equipment - if just starting out I'd get the Revelation for the adjustable footbox. Get it one size wider than you think you "need". Not sure of your build but I like the Wide so I can roll to my side while I'm sleeping on the ground, but it's wider than I need in a hammock.
    Thanks! I was definitely looking at that one. I like how many options there are. I'd probably go for the 10F to be safe.

I was also looking at Katabatic Gear guilts. And what about Hammock Gear quilts? They seems more reasonably priced.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Thanks! I was definitely looking at that one. I like how many options there are. I'd probably go for the 10F to be safe.

I was also looking at Katabatic Gear guilts. And what about Hammock Gear quilts? They seems more reasonably priced.
    10F sounds right for you.

Katabatic gets GREAT reviews and are pricey.

HG - I LOVE and use three UQ's from them and can't recommend them highly enough. IF I were to try one of their TQs I would get the current (newer style) model because the baffle design minimized down shift, like the EE design does.

As for drafts - in a hammock I rarely get em because the quilt stays tucked into my cocoon so well. On the ground, with experience it has become a mild inconvenience: I roll over, retuck and go back to sleep. The inconvenience is FAR outweighed by the advantages (ie: ability to quickly stick a leg out to cool down).

One thing to consider: for those who sleep VERY cold I generally recommend a close-fitting bag when on the ground to minimize wasted heat. Something to think about but in a hammock I HATE HATE HATE a sleeping bag tying me up.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    My concern about quilts is drafts -- what if you turn over in your sleep and leave your back exposed?? It just seems a mummy style bag would be more heat-efficient. But of course they are heavier.
    "back exposed" - That's a great point... when you're on the ground. Many who use quilts on the ground use wide versions to account for tossing and turning. But who wants to toss and turn? You won't do it as much in a hammock, and if using an underquilt, then together they form the same "enclosed" insulation that is a sleeping bag. Trust us, you do not want to use a bag in a hammock... not zipped up anyway. If you have a good bag and want to spend your $$ elsewhere, then you can certainly use the bag, unzipped and draped over you. You certainly can zip up in a bag in a hammock if you want to. Again, trust us, you really don't want to do that.

Oh I'd definitely be getting a gathered-end hammock since I'm looking for the lightest weight option. Asym makes sense. I think a bugnet is a must but other than that, I want to keep it simple and lightweight
    I think you're an ideal candidate for a Bonefire hammock with built in insulation on bottom. But not only that, he has a real neat system for attaching a tarp. About knots... there's a Dutch app for that, and Jeremy uses some Dutch hardware that attaches to the suspension which eliminates some ridgeline fiddle - its a real elegant solution. I just think for newer folks that haven't been out much, there can be a lot to figure out - we always talk about the learning curve - and if you can limit the modularity some, you stand to enjoy it more out of the gate. His hammock is expensive, but if you add the cost of an UQ along with an integrated net hammock, you're right there, and with less overall weight likely. He makes a sweet backpack, too.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post

I think you're an ideal candidate for a Bonefire hammock with built in insulation on bottom. But not only that, he has a real neat system for attaching a tarp. About knots... there's a Dutch app for that, and Jeremy uses some Dutch hardware that attaches to the suspension which eliminates some ridgeline fiddle - its a real elegant solution. I just think for newer folks that haven't been out much, there can be a lot to figure out - we always talk about the learning curve - and if you can limit the modularity some, you stand to enjoy it more out of the gate. His hammock is expensive, but if you add the cost of an UQ along with an integrated net hammock, you're right there, and with less overall weight likely. He makes a sweet backpack, too.
    The Bonefire Whisper is intriguing. I do like how simple it all is. The UQ built into it is 30F rated, which is higher than I would want (I was thinking 10 or 20) but I guess you could supplement it with a pad (or even an additional UQ?)

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    The Bonefire Whisper is intriguing. I do like how simple it all is. The UQ built into it is 30F rated, which is higher than I would want (I was thinking 10 or 20) but I guess you could supplement it with a pad (or even an additional UQ?)
    Unstuck, I am happy to work something out with you. I have both a 20F and 0F option if you want.

I will reiterate what others have said: a TQ can work on the ground and in the hammock. If you plan to use a pad in your hammock, I'd recommend having a double layer hammock to help keep the pad in place.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Great advice given in the thread. I would just point out to be very careful if you're a solo hiker/camper. First, there's the risk of an accident and injury; you twist/break and ankle or leg in the wild and suddenly everything changes. If you have a cellphone, there's no guarantee you'll get a signal. Second, a woman alone is a target. Yeah, I know, it's 2018 bla bla bla, but humans are way more evil than you can imagine. Go with people. Good luck, have fun, and happy camping!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast