Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I was not recommending ditching the netting - I was recommending a Fronkey bottom-entry bugnet (which is independent). I've been using the Fronkey bugnet for about six years and consider it more effective than zippered bugnets (every time I enter a zippered bugnet, a host of mosquitoes enter with me). I've never had a mosquito in my Fronkey bugnet.

Here in the Northeast, I only use a bugnet about three months of the year (June, July, August). Mosquitoes become lethargic at 60* F, and downright immobile at 50* F. I've personally found a 60* F low to be safe for sleeping (and I'm a mosquito magnet).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Thanks! I was definitely looking at that one. I like how many options there are. I'd probably go for the 10F to be safe.

I was also looking at Katabatic Gear guilts. And what about Hammock Gear quilts? They seems more reasonably priced.
    10F sounds right for you.

Katabatic gets GREAT reviews and are pricey.

HG - I LOVE and use three UQ's from them and can't recommend them highly enough. IF I were to try one of their TQs I would get the current (newer style) model because the baffle design minimized down shift, like the EE design does.

As for drafts - in a hammock I rarely get em because the quilt stays tucked into my cocoon so well. On the ground, with experience it has become a mild inconvenience: I roll over, retuck and go back to sleep. The inconvenience is FAR outweighed by the advantages (ie: ability to quickly stick a leg out to cool down).

One thing to consider: for those who sleep VERY cold I generally recommend a close-fitting bag when on the ground to minimize wasted heat. Something to think about but in a hammock I HATE HATE HATE a sleeping bag tying me up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Since you hate zippers, get a netless gathered end hammock and a bottom entry bugnet. It will let you lay head left or right and it’s easier to get in and out of than a bug sock. And it’s arguably better at keeping the skeeters out when entering and exiting because it stays open for less time than a zippered net. Another great thing is it will allow you to change hammocks if you decide to try another width, fabric, or color without having to pay for the net again.

One more thing. Let’s say you want a hammock (or more) as soon as possible. Then you should look at Simply Light Designs.
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/catalog/about_us.php

Jared is a one man operation in Idaho and he does good work and will do custom work if you like. His real competitive edge is his speed. You will have your order in the mail in 1-2 days unless he has to order custom materials. I now look at his store before anyone else and my last few orders are exactly what I expected. No complaints. Free shipping too!

Warbonnet and Dutchware are not that far behind in time it takes to ship either.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    If you were comfy in a Hennessy I say go for it - especially if you found what you want at good price. I don't enjoy using minimalist tarps and recommend a Hex or Tarp w/doors.

Otherwise, a Dutch netless hammock, separate bugnet, Superfly tarp arent expensive by our crazy standards and work great!

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I was not recommending ditching the netting - I was recommending a Fronkey bottom-entry bugnet (which is independent). I've been using the Fronkey bugnet for about six years and consider it more effective than zippered bugnets (every time I enter a zippered bugnet, a host of mosquitoes enter with me). I've never had a mosquito in my Fronkey bugnet.

Here in the Northeast, I only use a bugnet about three months of the year (June, July, August). Mosquitoes become lethargic at 60* F, and downright immobile at 50* F. I've personally found a 60* F low to be safe for sleeping (and I'm a mosquito magnet).
    I did not know that! Because I've only *ever* camped in June July and August (and actually in Jan-Feb in South America but that's basically the same thing). This is because I'm such a wuss to cold and why I'm getting 10F rated quilts.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Good breakdown, thanks! I'd probably go warmer than 30deg though; I'm looking at 10deg (I want to be comfortable in 30F - but again I'm a woman who runs cold and everyone keeps saying to get warmer than you need)

I would love a Dyneema tarp because they weigh practically nothing but $$$$$
    Mine was an example of what could be achieved — I would guess that a 10deg setup would weigh about 10-12oz (total!) more, so still very light!

If I weighed 130 lbs I'd be all over UL like the proverbial "duck on a junebug" as we said down South when I was a kid. I have a friend who weighs 120 lbs sopping wet and he considers UL a new lease on life... swears he wouldn't be backpacking otherwise.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

The HH Hyperlite was the first one I considered. I almost bought one as it's the only one I can physically buy locally. But the brand doesn't seem popular around here. From reading these forums, it seems Hennessey uses cheaper materials and aren't as comfortable?

The Novice Hiker! Definitely a blog i need to read! XD
    I don't know if the material is considered "cheap," but that hammock lasted about 3 years of heavy camping in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. When I decided to swap it for a bridged hammock, I easily sold it due to it having no tears, stretch marks, etc. I will say the rainfly was a bit on the small side, so I paired it with a Superfly from Warbonnet Outdoors.

Hope you like the website...it's in the early stages. So early in fact, you're probably the first one to check it out.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    As far as rigging a tarp, the Dutchware continuous ridgeline with soft shackles makes it super easy to set up and center a tarp over a hammock without a single knot--easy, quick and secure.

You can hang in hammocks without any knots, but if you do want to learn them, you can do a lot with the bowline, marlin spike hitch, taut line, prusik, slippery half hitch, and trucker's hitch. Every knot has many youtube tutorials. If any particular one doesn't make sense to you, try watching a different youtube of the same knot. Keep a 60 cm length of cord handy and practice over and over making knots when you are sitting around watching the Tee Vee or whatnot. Use them first in low pressure situations where it won't hurt anyone if the knot fails. Use a marlin spike hitch to keep your stake in the ground. After you've done that a few times, try connecting your suspension with it. Test it with something soft under your hammock before you go to sleep in it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Mine was an example of what could be achieved — I would guess that a 10deg setup would weigh about 10-12oz (total!) more, so still very light!

If I weighed 130 lbs I'd be all over UL like the proverbial "duck on a junebug" as we said down South when I was a kid. I have a friend who weighs 120 lbs sopping wet and he considers UL a new lease on life... swears he wouldn't be backpacking otherwise.
    Well to be honest, UL is kind of a necessity because I'm not really strong. And what's UL to a 200lb man might not be so UL to me. Running cold is the disadvantage of a crap metabolism, but the advantage I have is I don't need to eat a lot! Even when I'm cycling/hiking all day I really only need two meals and no snacks to feel fine, so that's less to carry.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I was wondering why there wasn't a hammock that comes pre-insulated! So you still use a sleeping pad with it though?
    It’s a double-layer hammock, so you can insert a pad or other insulation (extra clothes!) as necessary to take into colder temps than the down alone is good for. I use a radiant bubble pad between hammock layers when going below freezing, also use a Therm-a-rest UQ protector which is a windblock and radiant barrier, yet breathable to avoid condensation. I haven’t been below teens with these in combination, so don’t know how much margin i’ve had, but i’ve never been cold at all from below, and I also sleep cold. Basically, the integrated UQ gives you a solid base insulation good enough for 80% of shoulder-season nights, and you can add more as necessary, so you don't need to carry a 0F setup when it's only going to be 40F, nor buy multiples.

The integrated UQ makes air gaps impossible, and it's shaped to your body so no extra material. I challenge you to find any more weight/bulk effective offering good into those temps.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 06-03-2018 at 21:50.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast