Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I used Hammock Gear quilts in the past...the Burrow and Incubator...both rated down to 20 degrees. They were lightweight, packed down small, and kept me plenty warm. I wouldn't have a problem recommending that company for your quilt selection. While on the subject of quilts, don't keep them compressed when not in use. I kept each of mine in large boxes so they wouldn't loose their loft. Others prefer to hang theirs up in a closet.

You said weight was a concern in choosing between a tent and hammock. TBH, there are tents out there that weigh less than a hammock set-up, but it will cost you (money and comfort). While you'll need quite a bit for a hammock set-up (hammock, rainfly, top and bottom quilts), they're all comparable in weight for a tent set-up (tent w/rainfly, footprint, sleeping pad, sleeping bag). You're top quilt will likely weigh less than a sleeping bag, but a bottom quilt will weigh more than an inflatable sleeping pad. If you don't mind a gathered-end hammock, and you want something lightweight, I'd recommend the Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite. That was my previous hammock, and I'd still use it if I weren't going to a bridged hammock.

Weight is something I've had to think a lot about as well due to a back and shoulder injury. No more easily hiking with an 80L pack, or even a 50L. I'm going to try hiking with a plate carrier, which is odd, but I'm thinking could work. If you don't like the idea of a heavy pack on your back, maybe you'd want to give a plate carrier a shot. Being able attach some of your gear to the front of you (chest and rib areas) will balance out the weight rather than having it all on your back. Anyhow, here's a link describing that system: https://misadventureinthemeanwest.co...arrier-system/ As far as I know, nobody has used this application for hiking/camping, and I've still got some kinks to work out, such as keeping everything dry should it rain.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGNAL 13 View Post

You said weight was a concern in choosing between a tent and hammock. TBH, there are tents out there that weigh less than a hammock set-up, but it will cost you (money and comfort). While you'll need quite a bit for a hammock set-up (hammock, rainfly, top and bottom quilts), they're all comparable in weight for a tent set-up (tent w/rainfly, footprint, sleeping pad, sleeping bag). You're top quilt will likely weigh less than a sleeping bag, but a bottom quilt will weigh more than an inflatable sleeping pad. If you don't mind a gathered-end hammock, and you want something lightweight, I'd recommend the Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite. That was my previous hammock, and I'd still use it if I weren't going to a bridged hammock.
    The HH Hyperlite was the first one I considered. I almost bought one as it's the only one I can physically buy locally. But the brand doesn't seem popular around here. From reading these forums, it seems Hennessey uses cheaper materials and aren't as comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGNAL 13 View Post
    Weight is something I've had to think a lot about as well due to a back and shoulder injury. No more easily hiking with an 80L pack, or even a 50L. I'm going to try hiking with a plate carrier, which is odd, but I'm thinking could work. If you don't like the idea of a heavy pack on your back, maybe you'd want to give a plate carrier a shot. Being able attach some of your gear to the front of you (chest and rib areas) will balance out the weight rather than having it all on your back. Anyhow, here's a link describing that system: https://misadventureinthemeanwest.co...arrier-system/ As far as I know, nobody has used this application for hiking/camping, and I've still got some kinks to work out, such as keeping everything dry should it rain.
    The Novice Hiker! Definitely a blog i need to read! XD

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Interested in backpacking w/ a hammock - but I have concerns! (and so many questions)

A great way to save weight is to get the lighter fabrics. At 130 pounds, the 1.6 weights would be overkill. Try something in the 1.0-1.3 range.

Your concern about rolling over on your side and letting drafts in… it’s not a huge issue and not any worse in a hammock, don’t let that fear deter you from hammocks. A wider top quilt, within reason, might help if you are an active or side sleeper. A traditional UQ really does wrap around you and cover your left and right sides very well. There is a need for insulation at the foot and head end though that the UQ won’t cover. The TQ takes care of your foot end. A pillow and a hat and the TQ’s snaps and drawstring will cover your head end.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hammock... DH Darien 1.2 Robic 10' with Venom straps... about 18oz total
    Tarp..... HG 11' std w/doors and guy lines..... about 10oz
    TQ..... EE Rev H.E. 30deg 950 FP w/7D shell......... about 14oz
    UQ...... EE Revolt 30deg 950/7D..... about 14oz

Not cheap (about $1100), but really light... 55oz (3.44lb) and very compact, which also means a smaller, lighter pack.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Very pleased with space/weight efficiency of Bonefire Gear Whisper insulated hammock (2lbs). Rated to 30F, i’ve taken it into teens very comfortably with pad and radiant underquilt protector.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    A great way to save weight is to get the lighter fabrics. At 130 pounds, the 1.6 weights would be overkill. Try something in the 1.0-1.3 range.
    Thank you! There are so many fabric options and I'm kinda overwhelmed, but this is a good note to give me an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Very pleased with space/weight efficiency of Bonefire Gear Whisper insulated hammock (2lbs). Rated to 30F, i’ve taken it into teens very comfortably with pad and radiant underquilt protector.
    I was wondering why there wasn't a hammock that comes pre-insulated! So you still use a sleeping pad with it though?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Hammock... DH Darien 1.2 Robic 10' with Venom straps... about 18oz total
    Tarp..... HG 11' std w/doors and guy lines..... about 10oz
    TQ..... EE Rev H.E. 30deg 950 FP w/7D shell......... about 14oz
    UQ...... EE Revolt 30deg 950/7D..... about 14oz

Not cheap (about $1100), but really light... 55oz (3.44lb) and very compact, which also means a smaller, lighter pack.
    Good breakdown, thanks! I'd probably go warmer than 30deg though; I'm looking at 10deg (I want to be comfortable in 30F - but again I'm a woman who runs cold and everyone keeps saying to get warmer than you need)

I would love a Dyneema tarp because they weigh practically nothing but $$$$$

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    For most hammock campers, I think a light goes off and they say, "Oh, so you mean I don't have to sleep on the ground?" For those still considering ground pounding, many just abandon hammock camping for even the slightest of reasons ("going back to ground" is a common reason to sell all your hammock gear). So make sure you're committed before you start down this road.
    Personally, I gave up camping entirely because I couldn't deal with the ground - then I heard about hammocks! That was eight years ago, and I haven't slept on the ground even one day since. Whatever the problem (calf ridge, learning to sleep on my back, tarp too small, etc.), I just powered through it and adapted because sleeping on the ground was no longer an option.

1. Tarps - the only knots I use are a marlin spike hitch, a slippery half hitch, and a larkshead. When I was ground pounding I used to have carry a laminated card showing me how to tie basic knots - I just couldn't remember. If there's any way to eliminate a knot that doesn't have a weight penalty or exhorbitant cost, I will jump on it.

2. Warmth versus weight - here's where my budget for hammock camping is much higher than tent camping. I like to carry the absolute minimal weight possible, so I have three sets of quilts, 40*, 20* and 0* quilts. Underquilts don't work on the ground.

3. What if I have to go to ground? There always seems to be a weight or comfort penalty to pay for a sleep system that works on the ground and with a tarp. "What if I have to go to ground?" seems to really resonate with certain people. It reminds me of people who "must" have a vehicle with 4-wheel drive, even though it means 12 miles per gallon and they've never been off-roading in their lives.

I have a friend who's been hammock camping for six years. At first, he thought he didn't need an underquilt but finally got one. However, even to this day, he still uses a pad and a waterproof bivy in his hammock. Forget the condensation and the weight penalty (he can't hike more than four miles with his pack weight) - what is truly comical is watching him get inside a sleeping bag, then inside a bivy, then inside a hammock. It takes him 15 minutes minimum to get situated. However, don't even suggest to him that the pad and bivy aren't "essential" parts of his setup. "What if I have to go to ground?" really resonates with him and he's determined to always be ready.

I won't go hiking or camping with him any more because of his stubbornness. A 50 lb. pack weight for an overnighter? There aren't that many four-mile trails with camping, so he doesn't have much range.

4. Integrated bugnet versus simple, gathered-end hammock. Generally speaking, hammocks with integrated bugnets cost more than simple, gathered-end hammocks. I've been using a netless hammock for six years (currently using Dutch PolyD 1.4) with a Fronkey bugnet. I hate zippers and I like simple and lightweight.

However, I won a Dutch Chameleon last year so have been giving that a try (it's the only hammock I trust my beagle Joey to sleep in - he's an escape artist and zippers keep him inside). The Chameleon is not a defined lay (head right, feet left is my preference), so you're not buying something like a WBBB or Darien that has a defined lay. I have three kids and I have no idea which way they like to lay - when we go camping I give them a hammock and say, "Go to sleep."

There are hammocks with integrated insulation, but I personally prefer bringing the insulation I need.

I'd recommend starting with a simple, gathered-end hammock before you buy a hammock with integrated bugnet, which are typically more expensive. I'd definitely take advantage of any offers to try gear before you buy - an informed customer is a happy customer. And I would definitely recommend you try to get over the "What if I have to go to ground" thing because it will probably weigh more and cost more money.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    For most hammock campers, I think a light goes off and they say, "Oh, so you mean I don't have to sleep on the ground?" For those still considering ground pounding, many just abandon hammock camping for even the slightest of reasons ("going back to ground" is a common reason to sell all your hammock gear). So make sure you're committed before you start down this road.
    Personally, I gave up camping entirely because I couldn't deal with the ground - then I heard about hammocks! That was eight years ago, and I haven't slept on the ground even one day since. Whatever the problem (calf ridge, learning to sleep on my back, tarp too small, etc.), I just powered through it and adapted because sleeping on the ground was no longer an option.

I'd recommend starting with a simple, gathered-end hammock before you buy a hammock with integrated bugnet, which are typically more expensive. I'd definitely take advantage of any offers to try gear before you buy - an informed customer is a happy customer. And I would definitely recommend you try to get over the "What if I have to go to ground" thing because it will probably weigh more and cost more money.
    Thank you for this thoughtful reply! I've read your posts perusing this forum over the last few days and I'm still laughing at the idea of cuddling up with a beagle in your hammock. Adorable!! XD

I did sleep in a Hennessey Hammock once on a camping trip with friends, which is where I first learned of camping hammocks. I'm sold on the comfort vs ground sleeping.

The funny thing is that I don't even have a lot of experience "on the ground". I've slept in a tent maybe three times in my life (I never went camping as a kid!). When I go car camping, I actually sleep in a hammock w/ a frame (it's a cheap camping "hammock" from costco that is really more of a cot) because I don't like the idea of sleeping on the ground at all.

I hadn't considered ditching the netting - but here in Canada the blackflies can get pretty intense. Then again I have slept open-air in my cot/hammock before, although covered head to toe in deet.

I also hate zippers which is why I like the idea of quilts instead of sleeping bags! I think I might get the Hammock Gear Burrow 10 - yeah I'm waaay more afraid of cold than of overheating.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast