Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Very well stated...If it doesn't work for you, consider something else with more coverage such as the Winter Palace. As you have seen up-thread, there are experienced people who "swing" both ways on this issue!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    kitsapcowboy,
    Are you a lawyer in real life I had to look up 4 of your so eloquently articulated words just to see what they mean. I love the point though. If you don't like it, it just wasn't for you. Don't try to bash it but move on and try something else. I completely agree and unfortunately find myself doing the same thing. It's just in my nature and thanks for the wisdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I like the way you talk ........
    Thanks, guys
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

I understand your issue.

I carried a HG hex tarp for the entire AT and, while I loved the weight and water repellency, I always longed for an extra foot on each side.

I frequently got splash up that made my UQ damp. Depending on how far the trees were from one another that I hung from I was able to adjust my pitch but it still happened often.

I think it’s because there’s no stretch or bend to cuben so you can’t get the tarp low to the ridge line. I always have it higher off the hammock than anyone I saw with a sil tarp.
    They’d hang the tarp like from near the hammock suspension and kinda drape it over the hammock so it was almost touching the ridge line and stake it out.
    If I tried to do that with mine it would be all loose and crinkly.

You can lower it but it often folds over my straps so I have to give it some extra leeway and that can be a pain.

I long for an HG winter palace but it’s not in the budget.

That said, I still used it for my entire thru and stayed dry all but 2 nights or so, and that wasn’t a tarp failure. We’re into thru again I’d use it again, but for weekends out with my dog I’m looking at a superfly or similar tarp just for the peace of mind.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I understand your issue.

I carried a HG hex tarp for the entire AT and, while I loved the weight and water repellency, I always longed for an extra foot on each side.

I frequently got splash up that made my UQ damp. Depending on how far the trees were from one another that I hung from I was able to adjust my pitch but it still happened often.

I think it’s because there’s no stretch or bend to cuben so you can’t get the tarp low to the ridge line. I always have it higher off the hammock than anyone I saw with a sil tarp.
    They’d hang the tarp like from near the hammock suspension and kinda drape it over the hammock so it was almost touching the ridge line and stake it out.
    If I tried to do that with mine it would be all loose and crinkly.

You can lower it but it often folds over my straps so I have to give it some extra leeway and that can be a pain.

I long for an HG winter palace but it’s not in the budget.

That said, I still used it for my entire thru and stayed dry all but 2 nights or so, and that wasn’t a tarp failure. We’re into thru again I’d use it again, but for weekends out with my dog I’m looking at a superfly or similar tarp just for the peace of mind.
    2 nights seems like a good weight trade off for 4-6 months of hiking the AT.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar
    My hammock camping started with Hennessy and still like their hammocks but the diamond tarps were useless in bad weather. Upgraded first to a rectangular Hennessy then still not satisfied bought a superfly and found perfection.

After several years I decided to try the Hammock gear standard cuben with doors. One storm had me back to the superfly. And I now have another kitsupcowboy print superfly shape tarp.

Experience has lead my opinion to be that it makes no sense to try to save weight on shelter, you will remember the misery much longer than the extra ounces. Cut weight somewhere else or go with a winter palace. When I have been hiking in pudding all day and get to camp I am ready to set up my hammock and eat, not search for the unicorn set of trees. If you have your kids or are with other hammockers there are usually not multiple good hang spots.

Small tarps are the trend now but probably enjoyed mostly by people who only hike overnight if the weather looks good. I doubt the trend to small, cool looking tarps will last much longer even tho some people are able to get by with them. We are going to be reading a lot more about poor coverage the more these are used by typical people.

Last Saturday I was carrying a superfly as was my 7th grade daughter. At Carvers Gap it was sunny and 80, not long after, as we approached the top of Jane Bald, the sun disappeared and in rolled the thunder. We quickly slid down the side of the bald a couple hundred feet into the short rough trees and deployed a Superfly in seconds to shelter the group with us. Several people with us asked for the website to buy one. It was set up in full width porch mode with the upwind edge at the ground and we all stayed dry. There is no way this would have been accomplished with a smaller tarp. It was actually a pretty fun hangout in the storm and the coolest couple hours of the trip.

To me, it makes no sense to cut off the edges of the tarp. Get a superfly in a non absorbent material and you are prepared for almost anything.

IMG_0246.jpg
    Last edited by Wlb007; 06-05-2018 at 14:38.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    I have since posting this sold the HG standard and just put in a order for a UGQ winterdream in the sil membrane. Yes it will knock me out of sub 10lb base weight but I will still be around 11lbs. I doubt I will notice in my ULA OHM. I looked at the winter palace but after having the first Cuben tarp I just wasn't in love with the Cuben. The palace would have saved me 7ounces for $200 more than the winterdream and I know I like the membrane material already so I just went with the UGQ

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Aegismax 40* Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    To go along with the HYOH vibe we've got going on, the question) I would think) boils down to "what is more important to you: always being dry or weight?" And if the answer is "weight", how wet are you willing to be and how often?

I didn't perceive the OP bashing the HG, just asking if he had missed something, which is a totally legit question.

I just switched from a gigantic and heavy 12x12 Egret to a WB Edge hex tarp. To me, dry is most important, so you can bet that if I get we, I'm going shopping lol.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm pretty sure that someone in Alabama could get by with a tiny asym tarp and feel it was perfectly adequate for 95% of storms.
    As someone living in S. Alabama who has gotten wet (slightly) 2 of the 3 times I've used my tiny assym tarp, I politely disagree. My problem seems to be splash.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I have a Superfly and the HG Standard with doors. I have never, not once been wet under either and I've used both in all seasons. Regardless of what others say, site selection plays a part. It's simple physics. Natural terrain, trees and bushes affect air flow.

I live on the west coast, in the rainforest. It rains here, a lot. It blows here, a lot. I spend at least 5-10 days each month in my hammock 12 months a year and still no problems. That's from windswept islands on the edge of open ocean to the edge of the treeline in the sub-alpine.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Brady

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Once again though my situation had little to do with "air flow" majority of it was from splashing up. I mean it was splashing all the way up through my bug net and hitting me in the face. I don't know how you guys are staying completely dry. I mean yeah I stayed dry "enough" to finish my trip but that "enough" was a wet muddy UQ. It just don't make sense from a physics stand point unless maybe your using some short hammock. With a 11' hammock even if you crank the ridgeline of the hammock up to the top of the tarp like I did when you get in the hammock the bottom half of the hammock body and your underquilt is going to be below the line of the tarp. I don't care if you set up inside of 4 walls that's going to be the same every time and it leaves your hammock exposed. I mean kudos to you guys if you can stay bone dry in it and you like it but it just didn't work for me.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    In the end, you've got to experiment with different gear to figure out what works for you.

Thankfully (or unfortunately, lol) there are plenty of options to choose from.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast