Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

HG standard lacks protection?

I just picked up a 12' cuben hex from Hammock Gear earlier this year. I've had it out in a couple rains and 1 big storm so far. I think the extra length at ridge helps a lot. pitched low and wide for the storm yet still high enough to be able to watch it roll in. didnt have any splash up but I wasn't over compacted ground. thinking a summer sock might be handy just in case but only because my hammocks are netless and I will mainly need for bug protection. if I find it inadequate in the future then I will pick up a larger cf tarp with doors or go back to one of my older silnylon tarps. either way I try to pack the tarp that works best for the weather expected for the trip. if I were to do a thru would most likely go for the wp just to have the extra peace of mind handling anything mother nature throws at me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not sure what to tell you.....sorry you got wet gear.
    I use my DIY Blackcrow tarp a lot and it is about 7' across so about 3.5' per side pitched. 11' ridgeline.
    Many a big storm has been ridden out under it and I have never gotten my UQ or my hammock wet.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Never got wet yet in my standard HG with doors and I camp in Florida, land of sideways tropical rain. Then again, I do camp on grass, not bare dirt, so you local conditions may vary.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Perhaps the height of your hammock hang has something to do with it. I am short, like 5'2", and when I hang I was consistently having issues with my quilt getting wet/damp. I know the reason is because I don't hang my hammock as high as say someone who is 6'2" so I get splash back from the ground and more dampness in general. I resolved my issue with a UQ Protector from 2QZQ . This is a LINK and HERE is a video from Shug of the 3rd person discussing them.

Not saying it is your issue, just saying it is worth a thought.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think the only issue here -- besides the unfortunate news of the OP getting wet on this trip -- is that binary labels like "this works" and "this doesn't" are being applied to a continuum of adequacy that is multivariate in nature. Granted, this is how we all like to think; as logical thinkers we establish cut points in order to make decisions, but how we frame the world doesn't change its level of complexity or the drawbacks to "undermodeling" it.

Some reading this may say "That's stupid" while others say "That makes perfect sense", but that only supports this perspective.

I would offer a simpler, more pragmatic approach. If a particular type of hammock gear were not working for me after several attempts to adapt that ended in a bad experience, I'd ignore any advocacy, stop trying to label it, sell it, and try something else that I thought would help me avoid the problems I'd encountered previously. If I am reasonably sure after honest and informed attempts that something doesn't work for me, I don't need to prove that it doesn't work for anyone, as I am not the world's quartermaster.

My $0.02. HTH. Good luck...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 06-03-2018 at 10:16.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I think the only issue here -- besides the unfortunate news of the OP getting wet on this trip -- is that binary labels like "this works" and "this doesn't" are being applied to a continuum of adequacy that is multivariate in nature. Granted, this is how we all like to think; as logical thinkers we establish cut points in order to make decisions, but how we frame the world doesn't change its level of complexity or the drawbacks to "undermodeling" it.

Some reading this may say "That's stupid" while others say "That makes perfect sense", but this only supports this perspective.

I would offer a simpler, more pragmatic approach. If a particular type of hammock gear were not working for me after several attempts to adapt that ended in a bad experience, I'd ignore any advocacy, stop trying to label it, sell it, and try something else that I thought would help me avoid the problems I'd encountered previously. If I am reasonably sure after honest and informed attempts that something doesn't work for me, I don't need to prove that it doesn't work for anyone, as I am not the world's quartermaster.

Very well stated.

The HG std w/doors worked for me in a 14 hour deluge with wind knocking me around like a pinball, with minimal splash-back, blow-thru, whatever.

But that's me, and that's why I didn't chime in before. If it doesn't work for you, consider something else with more coverage such as the Winter Palace. As you have seen up-thread, there are experienced people who "swing" both ways on this issue!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Some reading this may say "That's stupid" while others say "That makes perfect sense", but this only supports this perspective.

kitsapcowboy,
    Are you a lawyer in real life I had to look up 4 of your so eloquently articulated words just to see what they mean. I love the point though. If you don't like it, it just wasn't for you. Don't try to bash it but move on and try something else. I completely agree and unfortunately find myself doing the same thing. It's just in my nature and thanks for the wisdom.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images

I like the way you talk ........
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mshanger View Post
    I have just seen so many people rave about these tarps who claim this has adequate coverage and I don't get it? I'm not new at all to setting up tarps by any means and I just don't think this tarp will ever cut it unless it's just a gentle rainfall or I could set up over soft ground that wouldn't allow as much splash. But that's rarely the case especially on the AT where it's bare packed ground. What's yalls thoughts and experiences?
    I think you figured out what may be adequate for some may not be adequate for you.

I have a Superfly and love it. I previously had a large hex tarp (no doors) and found I was getting wet because I was camping in places prone to blowing rain and little protection (mountain ridges). So I understand the benefits of a full coverage tarp.
    And yet I bought a HG standard with doors to save weight. The protection it provides to me is adequate. I don’t expect the same level of protection as a Superfly. I have to put a little more thought into picking a site but I’m also carrying less weight so I’m good with that.

Regarding the UQP... it is a good piece of kit to keep the wind from robbing heat from your UQ in windy/cold conditions. I’ve even used it with the Superfly on mountain ridges and I was glad to have it. I would also carry it if I expected 5 days of rain to help with the splatter, but I understand your thinking on the weight trade-off.

Besides the wet UQ, how was the trip? Did you bail early? We’ve been having torrential rains here so I imagine that was a wet 5 days you had. I just did an overnighter near Roan Highlands and folks on the trail looked like they’d been hiking in the Amazon rain forest.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Besides the wet UQ, how was the trip? Did you bail early? We’ve been having torrential rains here so I imagine that was a wet 5 days you had. I just did an overnighter near Roan Highlands and folks on the trail looked like they’d been hiking in the Amazon rain forest.
    Well truthfully wasn't the best time ever didn't really have any views on the mountain tops because of the rain. But any day in the woods is better than a day at work. Of course that's easier to say now that I'm not wet and cold anymore haha. We did stop 12miles short of our goal due to all of us just finally deciding we'd had enough of the "wet". We got a shuttle out and went and had some cold beer and a cheese burger while watching it rain outside instead of on us for a change.

On the topic of the tarp I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing HG I love there products and have several things from them. I guess I was just really probing in hopes to find some "magical" thing I was doing wrong but honestly I can not think of a single thing I could have done different to help. In general I'm ok with being comfortable with being uncomfortable. But the only reason I carry a tarp is to stay dry in the rain and getting muddy water splashing all over my gear just isn't worth the small 7ounce weight savings I made over my sil membrane tarp I usually carry. And Shug man idk you must really be magic staying bone dry under that postage stamp haha.
    I guess it may be like my paw used to say "it ain't how big it is son, it's how you use it"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast