SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets

My first Simply Light Designs Trail Lair

So this is actually only my second brand of hammock but I have plenty of Warbonnet's and the first thing that I noticed is it just lays so much different than the BBXLC. The BBXLC doesn't lay bad but I was more comfortable in the Trail Lair this weekend than usual. Although the things that I miss about the BB probably makes the Trail Lair more comfortable: I like the ridgeline closer to reach and I like the shelf. But sleeping comfort I have to give to the Lair. A description could be the Lair is "softer" while the BB is "stiffer" and both hammocks are SL 1.7 fabric.
    As far as service: I was amazed by Jared what great quick service. The hammock was ready to ship in under a day!
    As a side note I also went color crazy and got grey, that blew my wife's mind for camping gear.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    So this is actually only my second brand of hammock but I have plenty of Warbonnet's and the first thing that I noticed is it just lays so much different than the BBXLC. The BBXLC doesn't lay bad but I was more comfortable in the Trail Lair this weekend than usual. Although the things that I miss about the BB probably makes the Trail Lair more comfortable: I like the ridgeline closer to reach and I like the shelf. But sleeping comfort I have to give to the Lair. A description could be the Lair is "softer" while the BB is "stiffer" and both hammocks are SL 1.7 fabric.
    As far as service: I was amazed by Jared what great quick service. The hammock was ready to ship in under a day!
    As a side note I also went color crazy and got grey, that blew my wife's mind for camping gear.
    Great stuff from Jared! Since this past January 99% of all my gear is from Sld.
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think the SLD Trail Lair is a landmark camping hammock design. Jared's thoughtfulness and craftsmanship really pay off and are well demonstrated in the Trail Lair, one of my all-time favorite hammocks.

Enjoy your new hang...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post

LOL! Getting kind of wild ordering gray, huh?! I, too, was Warbonnet all the way until I got my first Trail Lair and my feelings mirror yours. As to missing the XLC’s shelf, just install one of Dutch’s Chameleon Peak Lofts in your Trail Lair and you’ll have just as much storage in it as the XLC’s shelf affords you and it’s every bit as out of of your way yet convenient!

I’m still a hardcore Warbonnet fan and will never part with my XLCs...but, my Trail Lair winds up in my pack as often if not more often these days than my XLC. In the winter, I use my Chinook over the Trail Lair and my Wooki under it and my Chameleon Peak Loft in it. Works great!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    LOL! Getting kind of wild ordering gray, huh?! I, too, was Warbonnet all the way until I got my first Trail Lair and my feelings mirror yours. As to missing the XLC’s shelf, just install one of Dutch’s Chameleon Peak Lofts in your Trail Lair and you’ll have just as much storage in it as the XLC’s shelf affords you and it’s every bit as out of of your way yet convenient!

I’m still a hardcore Warbonnet fan and will never part with my XLCs...but, my Trail Lair winds up in my pack as often if not more often these days than my XLC. In the winter, I use my Chinook over the Trail Lair and my Wooki under it and my Chameleon Peak Loft in it. Works great!
    Can you describe how you installed the peak loft? I'd think you'd need it sewn on on the sides, as I kind of assumed the peak lofts Dutch sells individually require a netless hammock, so the clips on each side can attach. Or you'd need pack clips sewn to the inside of the hammock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like another satisfied customer. Jared does great work. I've got the built in peak shelf on both ends of my SLD Voyageur and absolutely love the functionality. Enjoy your new TL and post some pics.

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Love the Trail Lair, I think its the most comfortable hammock available. Happy Hangin'.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    Can you describe how you installed the peak loft? I'd think you'd need it sewn on on the sides, as I kind of assumed the peak lofts Dutch sells individually require a netless hammock, so the clips on each side can attach. Or you'd need pack clips sewn to the inside of the hammock.

I just used the normal Chameleon peak loft (not the one designed for netless hammocks). I just bought two of the little plastic D rings that come already installed in the Chameleons and used a needle and thread to attach one to each side (inside) of my SLD Trail Lair. Took me all of five minutes tops. Then I installed the Peak Loft in my Trail Lair exactly the same way Dutch shows to install it in the Chameleon. Works perfectly!!!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    I just used the normal Chameleon peak loft (not the one designed for netless hammocks). I just bought two of the little plastic D rings that come already installed in the Chameleons and used a needle and thread to attach one to each side (inside) of my SLD Trail Lair. Took me all of five minutes tops. Then I installed the Peak Loft in my Trail Lair exactly the same way Dutch shows to install it in the Chameleon. Works perfectly!!!
    Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been tossing around the idea of selling my BB XLC in favor of a Trail Lair, just to try something new. Jared does awesome work, as do the guys at Warbonnet, so either way is a win/win situation. I do love my XLC though. I toss and turn a lot, and sleep on my side, and the XLC handles the torture with ease. That being said, I do get some calf ridge issues but being still semi-new I figure it's because I'm not getting the right angle or whatever.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast