Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Backpackr
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac Underq
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ marlin

Question "Humane" Repellent For My Tarp

Let me start by saying I am very new to hammocking (started this March), and thus, I am also very new to this practice of camping. In order to prepare and get to know this wondrous world of hammocking, I've been setting it up, sleeping in it, and taking it down a few times a week in my backyard. Shug's videos have helped me tremendously, along with the nice folks at REI.

I've hit an issue. As the weather gets warmer and warmer in New York, it seems that more and more ants come out of their holes. These ants LOVE the only two trees I can hang from in my yard. They travel up/down the tree, along my tree strap, from the adjustable end to the fixed end of my whoopie sling, and allllllll the way across my tarp to the other side of my hammock. They then go up that whoopie sling, up the tree strap, and over to the tree on that opposing side. I'm pretty sure they switch direction at some point in the day, but I am too squeamish to observe... I only notice when checking on my hammock to see if they've started crawling on the hammock itself (I have only noticed one straggler, the poor guy). This pathway that the ants have intelligently created makes it incredibly difficult for me to take down my hammock, as well as get in it without getting ants on my back (when the tarp is pointed downward for rain).

Here is my dilemma: I have read about how reliable permethrin is, but I am determined to keep the ants safe, alive, and unharmed--I just want them to stop using my tarp as a crossing point. Does permethrin kill ants, or simply keep them away? I've read about "humane" repellents, but I'm afraid of damaging the tarp. I realllllly want to try lemon juice, but I'm sure that wouldn't be good. I'd assume I'd have to wash my entire setup after doing that, even if the juice doesn't "damage" the equipment (I assume it would damage it, though). I've tried spraying diluted peppermint essential oil, but they still tread onward. Same thing for dryer sheets--they climb over them. I'm here to ask for help. I'm looking for some humane suggestions. PLEASE: it is imperative that the ants remain unharmed with whatever repellent suggestion anyone has.

Thank you so much in advance. I really admire this community--it's filled with so much love. Peace, my hammock lovers.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Nuke them from orbit! Permethrin away my friend. Its either that or make peace with the bugs.

A flamethrower would probably inflict more damage than necessary, so the old reliable Permethrin is probably the best option. Lots of threads on the subject here on HF.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Permethrin will kill them dead. Good luck finding a "humane" way to repel ants.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I wonder if spraying citronella or eucalyptus oil would work for you. Might deter the ants.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Cinnamon Essential Oil. My wife sells oils and I know this is a common use for that oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Nuke them from orbit!
    (It's the only way to be sure... )
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    Ants aren't human, so treating them humanely would be an oxymoron, or at least an obvious faux pas, no?

I vote the nuclear option....

I've seen the buggers eat the inside of a tree. It fell on a camper with somebody inside. They have never worried about being humane to me.

Bob

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Permethrin really is your best bet. They outnumber you thousands to one. The other thing to keep in mind with ants is that they don't wander aimlessly. They follow a pheromone trail left by other ants. Just nuking the ants won't necessarily stop future venturers. Nuke them and wash the gear to get rid of the invisible trail markers.

The other thing you can do is get some tree wrap stuff. It's like a band around the tree that repels ants from climbing any higher. Then you only need to worry when they start to use your guy lines. If you block a path, ants are extremely smart and will always find another way.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast