Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by framjam View Post

But you saw the part where this is my first backpacking trip, right? I'm trying to avoid carrying the kitchen sink, the four-poster, and my pearls.
    Oh I get ya; I thru hiked the Appalachian Trail last year with my hammock. I counted ounces. I used a hammock Gear cuben fiber hex and loved it. We’re into do it again I’d use the same tarp, but my experience there, especially camping with other hammockers, led me to yearn for more coverage.

I’m happy to have shaved those ounces but if I had the budget to buy more stuff I’d totally be happy with a superfly or some such

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

But you saw the part where this is my first backpacking trip, right? I'm trying to avoid carrying the kitchen sink, the four-poster, and my pearls.
    Definitely take the pearls, will help with balance, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Oh I get ya; I thru hiked the Appalachian Trail last year with my hammock. I counted ounces. I used a hammock Gear cuben fiber hex and loved it. We’re into do it again I’d use the same tarp, but my experience there, especially camping with other hammockers, led me to yearn for more coverage.

I’m happy to have shaved those ounces but if I had the budget to buy more stuff I’d totally be happy with a superfly or some such
    What abut the Minifly? Could you see that replacing the HG CF Hex?
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

My husband's goto hammock is an HH Expedition (I am a Dream Hammock fan) and he has had good luck staying dry in the smaller asym tarps without doors. Just make sure you get it correctly positioned.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    ...Traveling in August in Central Ontario (Algonquin)...
    Oh yeah!! Algonquin! Last 15 years spent most of August canoeing around there...

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Oh yeah!! Algonquin! Last 15 years spent most of August canoeing around there...
    Ever been cold? (Were you in a hammock?)

I've always slept on _top_ of my sleeping bag for Summer camping here, but that's tent-camping. I'm wondering about ditching it, in favour of a thin fleece blanket.

I don't have an underquilt: I'll be using a ThermaRest-like pad, possibly with Reflectix wings.

Dunno...it all comes back to backyard testing.

Finally ordered my straps and tarp, yesterday, so I might be able to string up the kit in a couple of weeks. Now I just have to figure out where!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    What abut the Minifly? Could you see that replacing the HG CF Hex?
    it’s intriguing to me but for the extra width I think I’d probably go with the thunderfly

I don’t think I’d feel out gunned or, hmmm....under tarped with either, but if I’m gonna go bigger I’m gonna go bigger, if you get me. Again for me it’s more about the width than the door size.

But it’s still a super personal decision and you’ll get by quite fine with whatever you end up going with

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Ever been cold? (Were you in a hammock?)
    Last summer was the first time I took a hammock to Algonquin with me (recent convert), and I slept in it 2 nights (in the rain but no wind, under a low cost diamond tarp).

Fifteen years ago we frequently woke up to temps in the 40's F (6-9 C), but global warming has been catching up and the last few years it's been 75-80 degrees F (24-26 C) at bedtime many many nights. Two years ago, we finally dumped our winter weight sleeping bags for lighter ones, but last August <surprise!> there were a couple of nights that went into the 40's. Managed to stay warm (in tent) by wearing ALL layers available, so all was fine.

Best is to be ready for the worst while still limiting the amount of stuff you take. We always joke that everything we carry needs to have at least two uses, more that two if possible!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    ... last August <surprise!> there were a couple of nights that went into the 40's. Managed to stay warm (in tent) by wearing ALL layers available, so all was fine.

No kidding! I was in Frontenac at that time, and I was really kicking myself for breaking my rule of "always bring long johns." I was fine (got INside my sleeping bag for the first time in years), but my kids and spouse were a bit grumpy.

OK. Take it all. That's the key. Yes, everything I'm taking has at least two uses (except undies: I'm only using those in one way).

Been on several August Algonquin trips in hammocks, although I was canoe tripping and not hiking. I always bring a tarp with doors even in summer because alot of campsites along the lakes can be VERY windy and I like being able to block it off but to be honest I wouldn't be too worried going with a Hex tarp if that's what you got, just pitch it blocking the wind direction when possible and low to the hammock ridgeline if your expecting bad weather.
    Insulation wise Ive done some fast testing with pads but never used one overnight, always used underquilts, you'll definitely need insulation under you even if your very warm at first, around 2-4 am you'll start getting very cold underneath (typically on warm nights I use a Yeti underquilt pulled up high to vent at first and slide it down into position in middle of the night when I need it).
    Ontop I bring a sleeping bag liner (basically a sheet) and if ever it gets cold enough I have a costco down quilt in my XLC's shelf ready to use when needed (I sewed the bottom of the quilt into a footbox).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast