SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle

Hennessey Hammock modification

So I have a HH explorer and I want to ditch the suspension line. Can I just snip the wire tie on the end slide the cover cone out of the way and put a piece of amsteel in with a ring attached? I'm pretty handy with knots and splicing and just want to get rid of the big HH line. Kind of looking for advise before i start cutting things. I'm not sure if I will end up using my strapworks cam loc straps or something made out of amsteel line. Thanks for any recommendations Dug

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There are a few you tube videos on swapping a Hennessey suspension to loops and whoopie slings. Its the first thing I did to my Hennessey.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

If you decide to wing it, just do one end at a time, the other end makes a good reference. Pay attention to how it comes apart and just reverse the process with the continuous loop. I did one so I know it isn't that hard. The continuous loop needs to be a few inches longer than normal.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Reach out to Dutch on Dutchwaregear.com or here on the forums via PM. He used to make a kit to convert the HH suspension and did a video showing you how. I just cruised through his site and count not locate it but my search foo sucks this morning.

Edited to add:
    Or you can go the easy way like I did. I tied a figure 8 knot in the original line and put a carbineer through it and then bought webbing with loops for the tree. To reduce the amount of line I cut it off, sealed with a lighter and said "well that works!" I can not ever go back to the line since it is now short and it does nothing to reduce weight but it works for me since I don't hike in.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly

Hennessey Hammock modification

I changed mine after watching this video on YouTube. I replaced mine with Warbonnet buckles and straps.

https://youtu.be/QXfO2wxdLIY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    Ditto on what mo_hunter said.

I used the same video ( and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyUgwyJd6IE ) to replace the stock ropes on my HH Expedition with Dutchware continuous loops.

I'm a beginner and it was pretty easy to do. Now I use them with the Dutchware Beetle Buckles and I'm very happy with it!

You've already gotten the right suggestions, so consider this bolstering. I swapped out the stock suspension on my Expedition for whoopie slings. My takeaways:

1) Search and watch at least two videos about the process to get a couple of different perspectives. The linked video above is a good one and there are others. Watch at least two of them.
    2) Remember that your ridgeline is attached to the stock suspension. Pay attention to it and rethread it onto whatever you're replacing the stock suspension with. If you forget it, it can be troublesome to fish it back through where you can reach it and you risk damaging the bug net or at least having a saggy bug net because the ridgeline is missing.

But don't be afraid of the process. Go slowly and it's pretty easy.
    Post pics of your changeout.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    I swung by a local marine supply today and picked up some 7/64 amsteel line. My tentative plan is to put a continuous loop on each end so I can try out a few different types of suspension. I did buy enough line to make a set of whoopie slings. I will try and post some pictures as I go. I watched the above videos and will look for a few more before I get started. Thanks Dug

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you have the knowhow to make continuous loops and make whoopie slings you'll have no trouble after watching a few videos. Its not super complicated.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    I made my first pair of 12" continuous loops. I allowed 6" on either end 1" for taper 1" for expansion of outer line and 4" for the bury itself. I came out with a pair 10 and 3/4" long. I left 24" in the center. My guess is i should have left the 2" for expansion in the middle. Oh well, I will call it a success for now as I'm not sure what size I will need. I couldn't figure how to upload the picture from my phone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast