Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I finally got out in my Trail Lair two weeks ago.

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Does the Trail Lair have any curved ends or cat cuts like the Streamliner? What are some it’s not so obvious features?
    It's a regular cut hammock. The only magic trick it has its that it's very comfortable, and can be cheap or expensive as you want. The new winter cover is cool and somewhat unique.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post
    It's a regular cut hammock. The only magic trick it has its that it's very comfortable, and can be cheap or expensive as you want. The new winter cover is cool and somewhat unique.
    Is it? I think the sag is different than most gathered end setups. And I was wondering if the cut near the center of the hammock is different. I've heard people prefer a larger tarp with it because it hangs a little differently.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by QFT View Post
    Is it? I think the sag is different than most gathered end setups. And I was wondering if the cut near the center of the hammock is different. I've heard people prefer a larger tarp with it because it hangs a little differently.
    I wonder if Jared uses a shorter ridgeline than the standard 83%. This would give it the extra sag. Perhaps someone who owns one could chime in.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    I think the netted cover hangs higher than others. When I fully retracted the net I had a normal hammock, although if it was cut a bit I might not know, but it definitely didn't feel like a stream liner, and I've had both. A far as I know the 11ft model uses a standard 83% ridgeline

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    If the bug net hangs higher from the hammock, I'm thinking there would have to be something different with the ridgeline length relative to the hammock length that causes the hammock to hang lower- thus increasing the head space under the RL. I can't think of any other factors that would increase or decrease that space. Or the sides are cut a little narrower- requiring longer netting to fill that space, creating the illusion that there is more space between the RL and hammock.

Last option, it's just sorcery- which is highly plausible, given how he manages to make and ship products "instantly"- as it seems.
    Last edited by rweb82; 05-24-2018 at 17:24.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Cat Cut Hex 12
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Experimenting
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    If the bug net hangs higher from the hammock, I'm thinking there would have to be something different with the ridgeline length relative to the hammock length that causes the hammock to hang lower- thus increasing the head space under the RL. I can't think of any other factors that would increase or decrease that space. Or the sides are cut a little narrower- requiring longer netting to fill that space, creating the illusion that there is more space between the RL and hammock.

Last option, it's just sorcery- which is highly plausible, given how he manages to make and ship products "instantly"- as it seems.
    +1 on the sorcery. it's symmetrical, so no dedicated way to lay in it. other than that, think it's mostly standard. Just really well built and in record time. I'll be trying it out this weekend hopefully, so i'll comment back if i notice anything too different

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespranger View Post
    +1 on the sorcery. it's symmetrical, so no dedicated way to lay in it. other than that, think it's mostly standard. Just really well built and in record time. I'll be trying it out this weekend hopefully, so i'll comment back if i notice anything too different
    If I didn't already have my DH Raven, I would seriously consider a Trail Lair. But I think both hammocks are very similar in their shape- which apparently makes them both very comfortable.

Looking forward to hearing your report!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Cat Cut Hex 12
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Experimenting
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespranger View Post
    Only got to sleep in it one night, but it was SO comfortable. Got up once to pee, but otherwise slept fine until my alarm went off.
    Peak shelf at head end is perfect. Fits everything I need with minimal added weight.
    Underestimated the problem with a wide hammock and not wide UQ. Hopefully my HG Econ will adjust enough to make it workable. I hope I just need to get it to more of an angle so it follows my side angle.
    Had to choose between my head and feet being uncovered. Not a problem since it was warm overnight, but would be bad if colder.
    Also wish I had got the pull outs. I'll have to modify it to get the extra material off my face/neck. Might be able to clip extra material to UQ or something. Anyone have any ideas? Otherwise I'll have to take it to a local tailor to get pull outs added. no big deal though.

Also - Going to need longer tree straps for some situations, the ones that came with it were cutting it close on the big pines at the state campsite. Any recommendations for light straps? How much weight variation is there? I'm thinking 6-8 feet maybe?

Hammock
    SLD Custom Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' HG CF w/doors
    Insulation
    EE down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Dyneema & Ti
    I am enjoying my new SLD Trail Lair as well. I went with 60” width in 1.2 Robic. I love the high quality craftsmanship and customization I was able to request (Jared never blinked at anything I requested) and the insane speed that Jared delivered. It’s like sleeping in a cloud! I can’t wait for cold weather so I can try out the windshield.
    For my suspension, I use Dutch’s 15’ UHMWPE and polypropylene mixed webbing w/Beetle Buckles. The length may be overkill in most situations, but I don’t have to worry about big trees being an issue! It has definitely come in handy in a few mature stands. The buckles make setup simple and quick.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/be...e/#dutch-clips
    "Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    —John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast