DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps

Taum Sauk Overnighter

Did an overnighter on the Ozark Trail from Taum Sauk State Park to the Devil's Tollgate. About 2.5 miles out from the trailhead. The first mile or so is very rugged. Very rocky granite, but very beautiful. Was mainly testing out gear and seasoning the old body for longer efforts.

Heading down:
    IMGP6662.jpg
    IMGP6665.jpg
    The Tollgate:
    IMGP6667.jpg
    IMGP6669.jpg
    Obligatory hammock setup:
    IMGP6670.jpg

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ\UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    That's one spot i haven't got yet. Looks nice,how hard did you have to look to find a spot? Did you get to test out your tarp (assuming this was last night)? It was a bit rainy over at Hawn :-)

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinSTL View Post
    That's one spot i haven't got yet. Looks nice,how hard did you have to look to find a spot? Did you get to test out your tarp (assuming this was last night)? It was a bit rainy over at Hawn :-)
    I heard thunder until about midnight, but got only a few sprinkles. So, I set the tarp up in the back yard today. It was raining when I set it up, but it stopped right after. Then the sun came out. Eventually, I got the hose out and "rained" on it. No leaks! The area is absolutely beautiful, but the trail down to the valley is very rugged. Lots of rocks and very steep in spots. I took Friday afternoon off, and was able the snag the third impromptu "established" campsite. The first, just at the bottom of the falls, was open, the second was taken, but the third just before the Tollgate was open. I camped right beside a stream that was serenading me all night. When I was driving out the next morning, I encountered over over twenty vehicles driving in. I think there's a lot of day use - highpointers, and folks that hike down to the falls and back (I passed a mother and son that were doing the "loop" from the trailhead to the falls and back. They had passed the connector back to the top, and were hiking on down. Somehow, they thought that they wouldn't have to go back up on the loop trail. Potential energy is conserved on a closed loop in a conservative field (such as the local gravity field), but I digress... Not much faith in science these days...

mathineer

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    "I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out until sundown, for going out I found was really going in."
    John Muir

• + New Posts