Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop

Nomad Stand - Will this work for my Hennessy Expedition?

OK, so everyone poo poo'ed the idea of getting the Nomad stand for non-ENO hammocks, saying it was too short. So I emailed their customer service and got the max distance between mounting points (118"). I plugged that info, plus my Hennessy Expedition Zip dimensions into The Ultimate Hang Calculator and it looks like it'll work.

So, what am I missing? Is there a dimension I haven't considered?

I get that I'd need to keep the suspension really short, but I can figure that out...

ENO_NOMAD.jpg

I live in a neighborhood with no trees, so I either hang in the house or trek to a park. I'd love to be able to hang in my backyard!

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    The Nomad specs say 4ft 8in for the length of the tripod legs, but the actual height when deployed will be less, and there's some inches between the height of the tripod and the crossbar, so the hang point will be less than 4ft 8in. When I made my first turtle dog stand (using dimensions from the hang calculator), my butt was too close to the ground, meaning that the stand was too short. Then there's the issue of hanging a tarp using the Nomad. Given that it's backyard hanging, I'd suggest a taller DIY stand - much cheaper (but less compact) than the Nomad. With a DIY Turtle Dog stand, you can use various lengths of top rail for the crossbar, thus accomodating longer hammocks.
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    No idea since I haven't looked up the Hennessy to see the length or know how much sag. Just wanted to give you some food for thought coming from a person who owns 3 stands and will be getting a 4th and final in the quest for the right stand for my needs. The Nomad is basically a turtledog type stand but with 4 legs instead of 3. The other commercially produced version of which I am aware is the TATO stand which I got through their Kickstarter. I know that TATO did testing and was making two different length stands. One to be used with ENOs and to be sold as a music festival stand, and a longer one for use with camping hammocks. Likewise, Hammeck stands which are out of production, and I also own, sold an extension piece to make it more useful for bridges and longer hammocks. Just based on those two facts I am guessing that the crosssbar on this stand will be on short side. If I were you, I would compare to specs for those stands. Also, if an REI is within striking distance of you, I would just simply carry your hammock into the store and set it up to see if it is to your liking. If it is, then buy it, else don't. That is what I did when buying my first stand, a Boonedox Drifter, which I knew was going to be short but that I thought I could use at the beach. It was far from perfect with my bottom an inch from touching ground but better than nothing. Other options include permanent backyard posts if you own your home or I plan to buy the Tensa4 since my current stands can't fit in my kayak. I can't exactly say I regret any of my stand purchases since they each filled a need at the time but I sure wish that I could have bought just one stand instead of spending a small fortune. I guess I am saying that it would be best to try before you buy, or buy from a place with a good return policy, or be OK with upgrading stand or downsizing hammock in the future.
    Last edited by Starfish Comet; 05-17-2018 at 18:58.

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    Thanks for the comments, good things to think about.

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    Quote Originally Posted by cap624 View Post
    The Nomad specs say 4ft 8in for the length of the tripod legs, but the actual height when deployed will be less, and there's some inches between the height of the tripod and the crossbar, so the hang point will be less than 4ft 8in. When I made my first turtle dog stand (using dimensions from the hang calculator), my butt was too close to the ground, meaning that the stand was too short. Then there's the issue of hanging a tarp using the Nomad. Given that it's backyard hanging, I'd suggest a taller DIY stand - much cheaper (but less compact) than the Nomad. With a DIY Turtle Dog stand, you can use various lengths of top rail for the crossbar, thus accomodating longer hammocks.
    I wanted to respond to your comments about height. I did make some assumptions that the hang point would be 4' 4" (52") and if you look at my Hammock Hang Calc screen shot, it estimates I would still have 18" hang height which is plenty.

Anyway, my plan is to try and find one set up (REI or other) and see how it looks with my hammock.

Hammock
    Chameleon, LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    Asym Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Suspension
    Playing with it
    Hennessy Expedition is still longer in length than the Eno hammocks! The NoMad Stand fits an ENO length hammock. It goes along with their product line, it is aimed at the festival crowd.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by n8jones418 View Post
    I wanted to respond to your comments about height. I did make some assumptions that the hang point would be 4' 4" (52") and if you look at my Hammock Hang Calc screen shot, it estimates I would still have 18" hang height which is plenty.

Anyway, my plan is to try and find one set up (REI or other) and see how it looks with my hammock.
    Good luck! I think that's a great plan to try out the stand before purchasing. Hopefully, you will have better luck than me with the calculator.
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    Note that even though REI carries the Nomad, they may not stock it in the store and the won't have one on display because it would take a lot of floor space and be subject to being knocked over by unsupervised kids using it as swing and get hurt. However, I think if you order and have shipped to the store if they don't stock, that they would be happy enough to let you test before leaving and handling refund then and there if not working for you. Both REI and Great Outdoor Provision Company are very accommodating.

• + New Posts