Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs

Summer Sock like Dutch's

I want to make a summer sock like the one Dutch sells. I originally had one for my netless hammock (which I eventually sold like an idiot) Now I am in the process of making a hammock setup for a friend and he wants the similar sock because he like the ability to spin it around to block out the wind. I can't seem to find any patterns or info on how to make one. Every design I see is for making each side from the same material and then hemming it along the ridgeline. I was assuming this wouldn't work so great with fabrics made from 2 different materials, especially when you want the netting to be on top, and the argon on the bottom. Anyone have an idea how to go about making similar in design? My thought is that I would need to taper the fabric on one end, but I am not exactly sure by how much to make sure it covers the hammock but isn't too tight. Ideally it would be great to get it on the first go instead of experimenting with fabric until I get it right. Thanks for any info you can give.

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd look for a full enclosed bug net pattern and basically use that. That's what it looks like from the youtube video. Just a sock of breathable membrane with a panel up front replaced with netting and a zipper entry bottom.

If you want to make a custom pattern the sort of cheap way to do it is how one can make cosplay armor props. Get a big industrial roll of stretch wrap or seran wrap. Like 20 bucks or less at Costco or a supply house (cash and carry) for a 2000' roll. Set up the hammock with your underquilt. Get inside. Have a friend entomb you inside loosely. Be quick, you don't want to suffocate although that's unlikely. Have them grab a sharpie and mark the ridgeline, proposed window placement and the bottom seam. Cut along those lines, lay the pieces flat and voila you have a pattern in plastic. Add a few inches for the hems and to make sure it's not too tight when reassembled. Trace that onto your fabrics and stitch together.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    thats too good

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I just ended up ordering a new one from Dutch, and then materials to make a copy.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MoldyFrog View Post
    I'd look for a full enclosed bug net pattern and basically use that. That's what it looks like from the youtube video. Just a sock of breathable membrane with a panel up front replaced with netting and a zipper entry bottom.

If you want to make a custom pattern the sort of cheap way to do it is how one can make cosplay armor props. Get a big industrial roll of stretch wrap or seran wrap. Like 20 bucks or less at Costco or a supply house (cash and carry) for a 2000' roll. Set up the hammock with your underquilt. Get inside. Have a friend entomb you inside loosely. Be quick, you don't want to suffocate although that's unlikely. Have them grab a sharpie and mark the ridgeline, proposed window placement and the bottom seam. Cut along those lines, lay the pieces flat and voila you have a pattern in plastic. Add a few inches for the hems and to make sure it's not too tight when reassembled. Trace that onto your fabrics and stitch together.
    This plastic pattern concept is fascinating. I think this could have saved me some time once or twice. Tip of the hat to cosplay ingenuity. I went to PAX here in seattle a couple years ago and was blown away by many of their DIY skills. Crazy impressive. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Works great for lots of generic patterning. If you're after a generic sleeping cowl get one the Styrofoam display heads from ebay/Amazon for a few bucks that is about your head shape. Then it's the same thing. Wrap in plastic, draw the shape/space you want and cut it out. A slightly different shape drawn and you get Magneto's head cowl instead of a sleeping cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    I just ended up ordering a new one from Dutch, and then materials to make a copy.
    I’ve asked about this myself also
    I know the argon is 60 inches wide
    Did you order the zipper one ?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Yup I ordered the zippered one. Once I get it and make one I will update the post. For the one I'm making, I decided to use the ion calendered fabric instead of the argon. Mainly its because the fabric costs less: I already spent more than I wanted buying the bugnet.

Hammock
    Self made 11 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    Self made 11 20D
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder
    Suspension
    straps, evo loops
    I had a similar idea, like a UQP with interchangeable bug net or winter cover, till I discoverd the summer sock from Dutch. I'd like to make one, too. did you make your one? Can you share your plans?

Thanks!

• + New Posts