Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Absolute cheapest underquilt

I have a cheap double hammock that I bought from amazon, I love it and am not currently looking to upgrade it. This being said, it cost me $30 and has help up for about a year so far. I am in desperate need of an underquilt as I want to start camping in it but simply do not have the money to get one. Any alternatives or ideas for a cheap one would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Cheapest? Use a blanket you already own and some bungee cords from that bin in your garage to rig up something. Very similar to above post just using stuff you already have. Cost: FREE. Problems: bulky, drafty and limited to "warm" weather. Sewing machine desirable.

Better? The Gemini DIY. $45 for a single layer. $65 for a double that I've used (with a 40 deg. sleeping bag and Polartec long johns) down to 30 degrees. Very light and compact. No sewing required.

http://leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/geminiquilt.html

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Good advice above. If you haven't used an underquilt before, you might not quite get the indispensable design points from the nice-to-haves. So what you can't well do without is some elastic cordage/bungies. You can take just about any sort of blanket, rectangular sleeping bag, quilt etc and make it work quick and dirty by gathering the ends with bungie and hanging it snug. To minimize drafts, you don't want big gaps under the ends where the corners are drawn together. Basically you want to form the blanket into a hammock shape, gathering the ends loosely. UQ is a non-load-bearing hammock into which you nest your regular one. So you can either put a channel in each end (can't sew? how about staples? safety pins?) or just put holes along the end edges every couple inches and then pass the bungie alternating through the holes, so the ends are drawn into a bunch when you tension the bungies.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I use this ofter for a summer UQ. I fold the corners over about 3" and attach the tarp grabbers to make a nice pocket. The key is to use a light weight throw blanket (like COSTCO down or fleece). If this is confusing I can take a picture. I recommend the trap grabbers with the screw down holder:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...r-less-than-10

An alternative is to just roll the throw blanket corners about 3" and tie the shock to these corners - no tarp grabbers needed.

SnugPak Underblanket is another popular choice. Less than $50 - I have one but don't like the shock cord or weight (3 lbs).
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    With only minor modification, I ran shock cord through the edges of a down throw-blanket I already had. It works really well for summer camping.

Otherwise, have you considered a sleeping pad? I haven't tried it myself, but Tim Watson over on YouTube has some videos about it. It seems to work really well for him, and it has the added benefit of usefulness on the ground/in a tent in case you find yourself in an emergency or simply a different setting.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Check out the Jarbridge from Arrowhead. They are usually around $100 to $120 for a roughly 3-season, 3/4 length UQ. Good quality, good vendor, fast shipping. And they have a subforum here on Hammockforums in case you have any questions.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Here is one for $31.64 with free shipping. I purchased one as a spare last year for under $28 and am very pleased with it. I generally use a SnugPak but have used this from time to time. It is a 3 season unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Tra...item2379aa55f4

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I too got the one that Bob mentioned , as well as the $55 synthetic OneTigris 10° . They both work, but have there disadvantages too. On the other hand, the Snugpak UQ and Cocoon are both under $60 and will get you to 32° and 25° respectively. AHE also has some great quilts in the $100 range. As far as down goes, your best bet is one of the budget UQ's that the cottage vendors now have. Also, I have a bunch of UQ reviews on my YT channel of your interested : https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCdlR64khg0auvnVhQ3zRTNQ . Good luck!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockNoob1999 View Post
    I have a cheap double hammock that I bought from amazon, I love it and am not currently looking to upgrade it. This being said, it cost me $30 and has help up for about a year so far. I am in desperate need of an underquilt as I want to start camping in it but simply do not have the money to get one. Any alternatives or ideas for a cheap one would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all!
    Found one on wish for 38 bucks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast