Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Sorry, mate.
    In this case the explorer will fit you. And I might to say that I'm sure the HH is a great hammock. I no regret to have my Hennessy.
    I think people like WB for many reasons, because it is more comfortable, made in USA, light weight, shelf storage, and so on. As someone mentioned, I also can say the same about, Dutchware, Dream Hammock, ect...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Eldorado was just released the other week. Expect it to become VERY popular.

I'm a little surprised this isn't more of a debate, actually. I personally would say look at a basic hammock, either netless or one with a symmetrical net, from one of the vendors here.
    My thought process:
    1) SBP: I had a similar fabric. I didn't mind the feel of the fabric on my skin, but I did feel that it was too stretchy and I sunk into it like quicksand! I hated the seams on the triple panel construction, and I think that droopy net would get old fast.
    2) Hennessy: people seem not to stick with them. Too heavy? Too short? Too much fiddling with the suspension? I'm not sure, but it makes me leery that people seem to move on from it after a while.
    3) Eldorado: seems great. HOWEVER, it forces you into one lay with the net attached. If you are unsure what your sleep style is, I would say go with something that allows you the flexibility to switch sleeping orientations even during the night. If you know for sure which orientation you sleep, and you don't toss and turn between orientations at night, but all means proceed!

Quote Originally Posted by ccolclou View Post
    3) Eldorado: seems great. HOWEVER, it forces you into one lay with the net attached. If you are unsure what your sleep style is, I would say go with something that allows you the flexibility to switch sleeping orientations even during the night. If you know for sure which orientation you sleep, and you don't toss and turn between orientations at night, but all means proceed!
    can you elaborate what you mean by this? how does the net restrict movement, and what kind of hammock would allow you to toss/turn? I'm a side sleeper, and I toss/turn quite a bit.

-----------

it seems like eldorado, dutch, and dream hammocks are what's being recommended over all the others. they all appear to be in the same price range, with dream hammocks appearing to have a slight edge with a few cheaper options and more customization. are there any major distinguishing features that separate these hammocks from each other? i've not looked very deeply into the dream hammocks or the dutch cameleon

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Some hammocks are symmetrical- meaning the bugnet is cut symmetrically, letting the user choose whether to lay head left or head right. Asymmetrical hammocks have a bug net that forces the user to lay in one direction only. This is great, if you already know your preference. And some folks feel that asymmetrical hammocks provide a slightly flatter lay. However, if you're just starting out, it's likely you do not yet know which direction you prefer to lay.

That's why I suggested the DH Raven earlier as a good option. It's symmetrical. It has zippers on both sides- which allow entry/exit from either side. It allows the bug net to be stowed above the hammock, or removed completely. And it's very comfortable. It's a great hammock if you're starting out and still figuring out what your preferences are. But it's also just a great hammock- even if you you're a seasoned hammocker.

But you really can't go wrong with any of the cottage vendors here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by ccolclou View Post
    3) Eldorado: seems great. HOWEVER, it forces you into one lay with the net attached. I
    I’m pretty sure the Eldorado can be reversed to choose between left or right lay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by j-Fish View Post
    I’m pretty sure the Eldorado can be reversed to choose between left or right lay

Yep, you are correct.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    what kind of hammock would allow you to toss/turn? I'm a side sleeper, and I toss/turn quite a bit.
    I am also a side sleeper who moves around and I have no problem in my BlackBird. I just grab both sides of my hammock and turn myself over when I want to shift.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    it seems like eldorado, dutch, and dream hammocks are what's being recommended over all the others. they all appear to be in the same price range, with dream hammocks appearing to have a slight edge with a few cheaper options and more customization. are there any major distinguishing features that separate these hammocks from each other? i've not looked very deeply into the dream hammocks or the dutch cameleon
    Other than looking at each vendors website and reading all the specs, I would highly suggest checking out Shug’s YouTube channel. You can find a video on the chameleon and raven in his product review playlist. The Eldorado I believe he goes over in his Neusiok trail video.

ohh gotcha, the dream hammocks are symmetrical. does that make them slightly more uncomfortable than the asymmetrical hennessy or warbonnet? or are the DH wide enough for that to not be a factor at all?

I mean at this point, I figure I can just pick one and be happy with it. But it looks like the eldorado is the way to go right now

--------------------------

also, i bet i can easily make a light weight rainfly real cheap. I mean it's just a piece of rectangle with holes in it. how hard could it be? do people do this? buy 20D nylon, cut it up, and tie the ends to strings to make a rainfly?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast