Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I use waxed polyester UV resistant thread only. Nylon will fall apart in the sun, and require restitching. You don't need to use waxed thread unless you sew really thick stuff.
    i disagree, a nylon fabric is much thinner than nylon sewing thread is. the fabric would degrade long before the thread would, just because it's so much thinner. leave your gear out in the sun for a prolonged period and it will get damaged regardless of thread choice.

i've had about equal success using nylon and polyester bonded thread. alot of quality nylon thread also has a uv resistent treatment as well. bonded is by far the best, this means the thread is made from continuous filaments rather than shorter pieces twisted and rolled together (like gutterman), so it is much less prone to breakage. a quality commercial bonded thread (nylon or poly) is going to be better than the gutterman, i garantee nothing sold in rei or made by any major outdoor gear manufactuer is sewn with gutterman thread or anything like it.

bonded 46 is a good weight, and will probably still be thin enough to work in a home machine. i use 46 for my quilts and 69 for my hammocks and tarps, but the 46 should be strong enough for all those applications. the 69 would likely cause more tension problems in your home machine than the 46 would just because it's a little heavier and better suited for a commercial machine, although i used to sew bonded 69 with my old dressmaker home machine
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 02-21-2010 at 00:59.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Can't argue with any of that, Brandon. I have seen nylon chafe badly, but if you take care of your stuff, it will last no matter what synthetic thread you use. I just favor making things indestructible.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Stay strong in their stare and buy what you know you need.
    Good advice!

-WarmSoda Staying strong

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Nylon will fall apart in the sun, and require restitching.
    I figure that the nylon thread should last as long as the nylon cloth that I'd be sewing, so this may be a mute point. BTW, I'm impressed with your packs. I like modularity and already have a bunch of molle pouches, so it will be a win win next time I'm shopping for a backpack.

-Edit after reading rest of thread : I guess this is just a second to what warbonnetguy (Brandon) said.
    Last edited by WarmSoda; 02-21-2010 at 16:29. Reason: didn't read enough, already mentioned.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    It took me all of 5 minutes to figure out I'm not wired for Joann's, et al. I just order what I need online.
    I also don't do well in the fabric shops.

In light of the info from Warbonnetguy, What are the sources available for "bonded" poly or nylon in the sizes 46 and 69?

Is Ed Speers thread source of the bonded type?
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Is Ed Speers thread source of the bonded type?
    From Speer website:
    Synthetic (continuous filament polyester core wrapped with polyester fibers), TEX 30
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSoda View Post
    I figure that the nylon thread should last as long as the nylon cloth
    I have no experience with UV resistant nylon thread. Brandon knows far more about it than I do.

I've had fabric outlast it's nylon stitching every time, without exception. UV resistant thread was not available when I had my little offshore sailing vessel, so everything was stitched with nylon thread. I had sails that lasted 16 years, restitched three times. I've had ten year old sail covers and dodgers which required two or three restitchings. I got tired of restitching dodgers and biminis, and built a fiberglass hard top. Generally, non-UV resistant nylon thread lasted three or four years, at most. Granted, that stuff saw more sun than camping gear, but chafe was the worst part of the wear. Polyester is far more chafe resistant than nylon. Where threads stick up above fabric, you'll eventually find chafed threads. Everyone has seen that happen on kids' book bags. Add UV resistance to polyester, and the best choice is clear to me. However, most of what I stitch is heavy stuff.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dutchware / Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Howdy,

I just want to thank all of you for your responses, especially RamblinRev and Warbonnetguy. I just came home from Walmart with a roll of "Upholstery" thread, which is Nylon, Extra Strong, 64 weight. When I bought it, I figured heck... its a dollar and looks really strong... Ill verify its good on the forum when I get home. I'm glad to see that as long as My machine will feed it, it was a good choice

Thank you!

--Brian

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    To be honest most of the diy crowd can use ANYTHING for thread with the exception of cotton. Even in manufacturing the thread is picked for aesthetics 90% or more of the time. (I just patterned jeans with db-187 thread, if the thread fails - she needed bigger pants) Tex 27 thread in nylon breaks in shear at 2.6#. That sounds low to some, but we're talking about loads distributed across many stitches. Now if you're making climbing harnesses, follow asme guidelines and you'll be fine. If you're making stuff sacks or hammock/tarp hems- if it fits - use it. Even on tie outs you're looking at close to 50 stitches - or 130# suggested load range.

Also, many of the newer machines are very good with nylon thread. You won't know if yours handle it well until you try it, and there's a thread lube for those that have troubles.

All said, don't worry about thread, but if anyone asks, American and Efird can't be beat =)
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123