Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Why can't you use a heavy, waxed nylon thread like I use with my sewing awl? Doesn't rot or absorb water.

Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Why can't you use a heavy, waxed nylon thread like I use with my sewing awl? Doesn't rot or absorb water.
    Well, for any fabric lighter than 420 denier, nylon upholstery thread is way over-kill and will gather up your fabric, shrinking the dimensions. Not to mention most domestic machines will have a very hard time tensioning properly with the upper and lower tensioners. As mentioned, it's only good for packs and well, upholstery. You'll want a size 18 to 22 needle to work with it too.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Are you talking about a SpeedyStitcher? That thread is, I believe, waxed polyester, and it is huge. Even if the machine would handle it, which I doubt, the cost would be prohibitive.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I think it would be excellent for field repairs- like sutures on a ripped pack? till you can get back and do a compatible repair. just a thought..
    KM

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    warm Soda, did you ask the lady at the fabric store how many hammocks she made???

Lots of good advance on the forum. The folks here share their wisdom. Most of which was learned the hard way. We share this knowledge so others don't have to stumble or suffer the same fate. Most the ladies at fabric stores make pillow cases or skirts, not gear. Stay strong in their stare and buy what you know you need. Regular polyester guttermans works...period. No need to shop all over.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I use waxed polyester UV resistant thread only. Nylon will fall apart in the sun, and require restitching. You don't need to use waxed thread unless you sew really thick stuff.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I started my first gear project years ago with nylon thread. I didn't know the difference and I just thought that I didn't possess the magical touch my sewing machine required as I madly cut away tangle after tangle. My first experience with Gutermanns was an epiphany.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Stay strong in their stare

To be fair the ladies at my favourite fabric store are ok nice with me... Ahem!I dont think they can quite work me outIt can get real lonely in these fabric stores but what a mans gotta do...etc,etc

Id say go for 100% Polyester thread no other and not spun polyester.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by clearskyblue View Post

To be fair the ladies at my favourite fabric store are ok nice with me... Ahem!I dont think they can quite work me outIt can get real lonely in these fabric stores but what a mans gotta do...etc,etc
    It took me all of 5 minutes to figure out I'm not wired for Joann's, et al. I just order what I need online.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    To be fair, the standard in sewing circles is the axiom use the thread that matches the content of the fabric. Also never use nylon thread on anything but nylon. So the lady was "in the know" and tried to give the best advice. Most of the nylon the fabric stores sell are for things like appliques and trims where hand sewing is very common and the tensioning plates of the thread injectors don't come into play.

Under no circumstances should nylon thread be used on anything but nylon fabric. Nylon is harder than any other fabric choice and will actually cut the base fabric it is used on when placed under tension in use.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast