Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    So I've tried two different new needles and it's still happening.

I am really starting to think it might be the shuttle hook. It might finally be time for a tune up.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Take the bobin assembly apart, completely apart, clean it carefully, use canned air to get in the tight places. Feel the shuttle hook with your fingers for rough places. Put the shuttle hook assembly bach to gether. I did find some shuttle hooks at the local fabric store.

Is your needle inserted correctly?

When I have had your problem it has been a threading issue.

Check your tension, middle of the dial does not mean your tension is correct. Look your dtitches over, any skipped? Top thread tight or bottom thread tight or loose?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've had a lot of problems with the Mara threads. Splitting and raveling mainly, but also have seen it come off the spool twisted like fishing line that was spooled on a reel incorrectly. My machine is a 1957 vintage Singer knock-off that I bought from a sewing machine dealer who does a lot of commercial and quilting machine sales/service. He sold me some Maceira thread and it has worked perfectly. I use microtex needles for the thin stuff and up to 18"s for canvas, denim and thin leather where I use upholstery thread.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bonefire Whisper
    Suspension
    Bonfire Deluxe
    Images
    Flip the spool over 180 on the spool pin and see if that makes any difference. Or if you have a thread stand give that a try.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Often it's the simplest things. Triple check your manuals rethreading guide. It's so easy to get on the wrong side of a guide, especially so if you have multiple machines and you haven't used this one in a while. I've done it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoldyFrog View Post
    I'd verify the needle orientation is correct and the the thread direction is correct, ie thread through the needle from left exiting to the right or vice versa...
    Quote Originally Posted by West michigan View Post
    I’d swap out the needle and rethread machine
    Had it happen and was easy fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumpyro View Post
    Flip the spool over 180 on the spool pin and see if that makes any difference. Or if you have a thread stand give that a try.
    These seem to be the best advice to me.

From your photo, the split/twist/bunching in the thread is in the top thread before the needle so the problem wouldn't be a result of anything too do with the bobbin, bobbin hook, etc.

The thread is being untwisted (there is no core and cover with Mara 70) which is most likely caused by a threading problem. Stop orienting the needle and rethreading by memory, get the owners manual out and follow it carefully.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Does your machine have auto up/down stop? If not, you must be vigilant about rotating the hand wheel to the correct position. If in the wrong position, the thread will catch on the bobbin hook(?) and easily split the thread.

I found myself quite frustrated by this a few month's ago after purchasing a new industrial machine. I felt really special when the light bulb finally went on.

<EDIT> I am referring to the needle up position. You don't have to be off by much. I too was spoiled by the auto up/down of the electronic brother.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 05-18-2018 at 06:38.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    I use 80/12 with Mara 70, although I generally use Tera these days since it's less prone to twisting and I like the spools better.

If the needle orientation is correct and the thread is going through tension discs properly, I would check 1) the horizontal distance between the hook and the needle as the needle begins to rise, 2) make sure there are no burrs on your hook, 3) carefully observe the lock stitch being formed and note any points where resistance is met or thread capture isn't flush. I've reinstalled hooks before where I didn't leave enough room for the top thread to be looped smoothly and had issues like this.

Pull thread off of the spool by hand mimicking how your machine take up pulls it off, and then move string back towards spool to see if it spins & twists. If so, devise a different way of holding your spools i.e. so it comes off of the top instead of the side.

Good luck.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumpyro View Post
    The thread drove me to use gallows and that did not help. Spool orientation also solved no problems.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    I don't understand it, but turning the spool of thread around seemed to solve the problem. I also went out and bought a fresh pack of needles. I never thought to keep track of the used ones when I switched needles.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bonefire Whisper
    Suspension
    Bonfire Deluxe
    Images
    Haha, glad you got things going your way now. I saw a video a while back that explained the reason spool orientation makes a difference ( which I cannot find now)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12