Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Help! Angles and ridgeline setup

I'm new to this, just my second hang last night. I've been using the hammock hang calculator to try and get there distance and angles etc.

Is it 30° with me in it?

My ridgeline seems very tight when I'm laying in it. There's a bit of play but not the near 90° I've seen in some of the videos. So it's maybe too short. Is the hammock length just hammock material or does it include the rope and karabiner that attach it to the tree straps?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Shugs videos should help you out. Here's one on the ridge lines. There are dozens of others that may be helpful as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfBrIEH2-U

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's 30 degrees with you in it. However, it is just about impossible to figure out 30 degrees with you in it, so just eyeball it.

Hammock length is just hammock material - everything else I would consider suspension. What do you mean by "90° I've seen in some of the videos?" Some people say you should have a little slack in your ridgeline, but I usually find the angle with a little slack, then raise or lower the straps on the trees to eliminate that slack (I don't like slack in the ridgeline). Personally, I just point my finger like a gun to figure out 30 degrees - always works for me!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It's 30 degrees with you in it. However, it is just about impossible to figure out 30 degrees with you in it, so just eyeball it.

Hammock length is just hammock material - everything else I would consider suspension. What do you mean by "90° I've seen in some of the videos?" Some people say you should have a little slack in your ridgeline, but I usually find the angle with a little slack, then raise or lower the straps on the trees to eliminate that slack (I don't like slack in the ridgeline). Personally, I just point my finger like a gun to figure out 30 degrees - always works for me!
    This video at around 5.15 or so b talks about how much slack there is in the ridgeline. Although that could just be for that brand of hammock.

30° with me in it does seem more sensible but doesn't that make the suspension really tight with almost no angle prior to getting in?

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Also, remember, none of this is critical. It is all rule of thumb to get you in the ballpark of what most find most comfortable. You will need to practice and play around to find your sweet spot. One easy gauge to quickly estimate hang angle is to draw a 30 deg angle on a credit card sized card and keep it in your wallet. Then just hold it out at arms length and see if you close. If you do not have a protractor, draw one 3" line and then a perpendicular 1.75" line. Connect the points and you have a 30*/60*/90* triangle.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL

Help! Angles and ridgeline setup

I never have a lot of slack in my RL. I make sure I can give it just a little bit of bend so it is taught. If it is too tight I just move my tree straps up a bit and loosen my suspension.

If you have an iPhone open your compass and swipe left. You have a digital protractor. But don’t worry too much about the 30 degrees. I only set that angle when I first hang it. Once it’s hung I adjust accordingly until my ridgeline is barely taught with me laying down in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    i was under the impression that the fixed ridgeline was there to give you the same hang regardless of slight difference of 30*
    so i never understood if it was tight, then it was doing it job, no?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    i was under the impression that the fixed ridgeline was there to give you the same hang regardless of slight difference of 30*
    so i never understood if it was tight, then it was doing it job, no?
    to a certain extent, yes. ridgeline defines your hammock sag

if your ridgeline is sagging, your suspension needs tightening

perfect suspension will give you a taut ridgeline, but you'll be able to "bend" the ridgeline fairly easily

a guitar string tight ridgeline isn't ideal, but it's also not the end of the world. it just means the ridgeline is absorbing the lateral tension, rather than your hammock

I'd much rather have a tight ridgeline than a loose one
    Last edited by Tikker; 05-14-2018 at 09:56.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some ridgeline repartee......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hmmm, so I should be attaching the ridgeline to the hammock itself rather than the suspension?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast