Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which dutchware hammock? (half-zipped vs chameleon)

Looking to buy my first hammock and trying to decide between a few options.

About me:

- 5'9, weight ranges from 155-160lbs. Seems both the 1.0 or 1.6 could work for me, but leaning towards the 1.0
    - Side sleeper
    - Live on the east coast where ticks are everywhere, so would probably use a bug net year always
    - Looking for 3-season use. Most likely would not try to camp below 50F or so.

Is there any advantage of the chameleon to someone like me? Or should I just go with the half-zipped 1.0 since it's lighter and I won't have to fuss around with other covers, etc. Or would that winter cover be more useful in 50F weather?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am a huge Chameleon fan (I have four), but you sound like a perfect candidate for a Half Zipped in Hexon 1.0, as long as it's not too stretchy for you to get good side sleep. Everyone is different, but I would say the odds are in your favor. Prior to Dutch's introduction of either the Chameleon or the Half Zipped, I built a lightweight DIY integrated-net hammock that was zippered on just one side; it is both convenient and comfortable, and I still use it whenever I want a lightweight option that packs extra-small. HTH...

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Can't comment on the fabric choice, but either the Chameleon or the Half-Zipped should work well (I personally love the modular nature of the Chameleon system but it adds a little weight and cost, HYOH! ). I will recommend that IMHO for the SouthEast, the Half-Zipped (or even an 11' Netless with a separate bugnet) would work, but I'm not so sure about the Half-Wit - too many buzzy crawly critters.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Bear in mind, if I recall correctly the half zipped is a single directional lay: head left feet right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Do you think you'd ever want or need a topcover option in addition to the bugnet? Or go completely netless? If so then the Chameleon is your choice. If you think the permanent bugnet alone is enough, then the Half-zipped would be my choice. I can't recall if options like the Sidecar and Peak Shelf work with the Half-zipped. If they do that would strengthen my recommendation for it.Based on your expected temperature ranges a topcover likely would not be needed.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I think both are fine for your situation but I'd lean towards the half-zipped. It's cheaper, lighter and in 50 degree weather I don't think you'd need a top cover. The Chameleon is great because of its adaptability and modularity, but your situation seems to be pretty consistent.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I own a chameleon, and if the half zipped were available when I purchased mine, I would've gotten that instead. If you find that you would ever need a top cover, get the winter sock instead. Not only does it provide the same heat retention as the top cover, but it also helps with drafts running under your hammock set up. The half zipped is also cheaper. You just pay the upfront cost, and dont have as many accessories to tempt your wallet.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    IDK, in Northeast Ohio, tick central, USA, I couldn't imagine not having a full bug net. I think the half-wit is cool, but I love having a fully zipped, fully removable bugnet instead. Maybe it's a mental thing.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    IDK, in Northeast Ohio, tick central, USA, I couldn't imagine not having a full bug net. I think the half-wit is cool, but I love having a fully zipped, fully removable bugnet instead. Maybe it's a mental thing.
    The OP is asking about the Half-Zipped, not the Half-Wit. The Half-Zipped is fully enclosed.

But I agree with you. I would much rather have an enclosed bug net. Sometimes I like to kick off the top quilt when the nights are warmer. Doing so in the Half-Wit would leave my legs exposed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Half-zipped starts at $115 and Chameleon starts at $125. The weights of the bodies are nearly the same, correct?

So, when someone says the Half-zipped is lighter and cheaper, they're really just talking about the cost and weight of options, correct?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast