Hammock
    Chameleon Wide Hexon 1.6 Coyote B.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econs 30
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I know how you feel I got started last year and it opened a can of worms. Do yourself the favor do research and youtube your needs. Obviously it's hard to tell because your new into the hammock world. But your on the right forum to point you in the direction. I personally stared cheap last year and then ended up buying a whole second set of everything once I learned the ropes. A tarp with doors is just so convenient once you use them. And the chameleon wide is a great choice i doubt you will have any complaints from it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanklesmith View Post
    Now I'm going back and forth about the Chill Gorilla tarp. I haven't seen anyone who own it have anything negative to say about it but SilvrSurfr brought up some good points. Maybe I should just shell out the extra money and get something of better quality, maybe a little lighter too.
    I am new to hammock camping but I have had years of experience with tarps used for ground camping. IME, quality comes with a higher price and you get what you pay for. Since the tarp is your protection from a hostile environment, I, personally, wouldn't skimp on quality. Also, if you are backpacking, I think silpoly is a much better material than silnyon. It doesn't stretch near as much and is easier to keep taut but most important is it doesn't absorb as much water, and weight, when wet. I have packed up wet silnylon tarps that I swear were double their dry weight.

Thanks. I read these two posts and watched the video review the first has as well. That's what helped me settle on that one. I'm going up look into some others now though. I assume I'm going to want to get a better one not far down the road, so I might as well invest in it now. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyRosa View Post
    I know how you feel I got started last year and it opened a can of worms. Do yourself the favor do research and youtube your needs. Obviously it's hard to tell because your new into the hammock world. But your on the right forum to point you in the direction. I personally stared cheap last year and then ended up buying a whole second set of everything once I learned the ropes. A tarp with doors is just so convenient once you use them. And the chameleon wide is a great choice i doubt you will have any complaints from it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    There is just so much to learn! I'm getting it figured out but phew! Haha.

I'll only be out late spring through early fall so I think the Costco UQ and TQ mods will be ok for me. I've had enough people convince me not to skimp on a tarp so I'm going to rethink that. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by sabinajiles View Post
    I am new to hammock camping but I have had years of experience with tarps used for ground camping. IME, quality comes with a higher price and you get what you pay for. Since the tarp is your protection from a hostile environment, I, personally, wouldn't skimp on quality. Also, if you are backpacking, I think silpoly is a much better material than silnyon. It doesn't stretch near as much and is easier to keep taut but most important is it doesn't absorb as much water, and weight, when wet. I have packed up wet silnylon tarps that I swear were double their dry weight.
    Silpoly, got it! Going to start looking now. Thank you!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanklesmith View Post
    Silpoly, got it! Going to start looking now. Thank you!
    You might want to start another thread on specific items, just because you are posting a lot to this thread, but it doesn't increment your post count (posts to Introduce Yourself don't count against your post count). Good luck!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    hello and welcome from due North of you. We have a great group of campers here in Western PA and I highly recommend a group hang. They are usually car camps so you'll have a place to bail to if need be, and always lots of different gear to mess with. Hope to see you out there!

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    Hi and welcome from the far east side of PA. I'm sure you're already realizing this, but you'll be able to learn a lot on this forum. Everyone is very helpful!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234