Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PA guy here and I am ready to take the plunge! A little overwhelmed.

Hello from PA! I work in IT and needed to find something "unwired" to have as a hobby. I got into backpacking a little over a year ago and have fallen completely in love the outdoors. My only issue is sleep. I have tent camped by entire life (car camping with big air mattresses), so when I was purchasing my gear to take on my first overnight trek I decided to go with a tent and inflatiable pad setup. I knew about hammocks but the idea of using them as your sleep system was foreign to me. I have not has a single comfortable sleep in my tent with my sleeping pad.

My main interest in getting into hanging is the comfort everyone raves about. Also, it will be really nice to have some new gear to use so I can let others use my original stuff (my friends like the idea of backpacking but not the initial costs) so I don't have to take so many solo trips.

I have done a lot of lurking here and although the learning curve is a little overwhelming, I am starting to get an idea of what I need/how everything works. Since I put out a decent bit of money not long ago with my sleep system, I'd like to save money where I can. But I defiintely do not want to skimp on the hammock itself since it will be my main comfort source. This has been a great place to learn and I appreciate all of the time and effort you all have put into making this style of backpacking/camping more obtainable to those just starting out! Thank you again and again!

Here is what I am thinking:

Hammock: Chameleon Wide with the Beetle Buckle suspension
    - I am 6ft and 215lbs. From what I have read, the wide will be more comfortable for me.

Rain Fly: Chill Gorilla 12ft hex
    - It has had some good reviews on here and doesn't break the bank.

UQ and TQ: I am thinking about going the DIY costco route.
    - Until I get more comfortable with backpacking itself, I won't be doing overnights in temperatures that drop below 40f.

I would appreciate any thoughts/critiques on the gear I am thinking about as well as any advice you're willing to give!

Thank you all in advance!

*Let me know if there is a better place to post this.

Im new here too....but I'll welcome ya to the forums! The best way to learn is from someone who as already done what you are going to do and learn from their mistakes....and field experience.

S.A

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned Ape View Post
    Im new here too....but I'll welcome ya to the forums! The best way to learn is from someone who as already done what you are going to do and learn from their mistakes....and field experience.

S.A
    Thank you! Unfortunately, I do not personally know anyone who hammock camps (or does any backpacking in general). So all my learning is going to come from all you great people on here lol. Hopefully I will become skilled enough to be able to contribute to this forum. It is such a wealth of knowledge!

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanklesmith View Post

- I am 6ft and 215lbs. From what I have read, the wide will be more comfortable for me.

- Until I get more comfortable with backpacking itself, I won't be doing overnights in temperatures that drop below 40f.
    Sounds reasonable to me. There are plenty of examples of the Costco quilt conversions. The one I find most intriguing is the faux baffle; I think it would help shape top and under quilts. Test your gear in the yard to gauge the temperature range. You will not experience comfort if you are not warm.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Unfortunately, I do not personally know anyone who hammock camps (or does any backpacking in general).
    That can be easily remedied, especially given your location. Quite a few hammock-campers in the Pittsburgh region, and most of us are fairly affable folks. Feel free to attend a group hang (there are several in western PA this year). That’s a great way to make friends and check out a variety of gear.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have fun with the hammock quest! Get a hammock first and learn to get a proper set-up with the hammock and get a good suspension and learn to work it.
    Tarps are their own art so if you have never pitched one then you will need to get good at that.....but it all leads to fun so enjoy the process.
    Then you will need to figure your insulation.
    Keep in mind there is a learning curve.
    Here are some of my various hammock videos....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...99144D4771F20F
    Tarp Tutorials.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    I suggest getting the Ultimate Hang book......https://theultimatehang.com
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    There are many fine cottage vendor options for hammocks -- and one is homegrown in your own backyard: the Dutchware Chameleon.

While there are no one-size-fits-all options in the world of "Hang Your Own Hang", the Chameleon comes as close as I've seen.

I'm 6'2" and 175# with fairly board shoulders, and I find the standard-width Chameleon gives me ample room; you might find the same.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    That can be easily remedied, especially given your location. Quite a few hammock-campers in the Pittsburgh region, and most of us are fairly affable folks. Feel free to attend a group hang (there are several in western PA this year). That’s a great way to make friends and check out a variety of gear.
    I live in Ohio, but I can be in downtown Pittsburgh in 45 minutes or so. I'm interested in attending these events. Would you PLEASE PM me some dates and locations for upcoming outings. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hello from PA! I work in IT and needed to find something "unwired" to have as a hobby. I got into backpacking a little over a year ago and have fallen completely in love the outdoors. My only issue is sleep. I have tent camped by entire life (car camping with big air mattresses), so when I was purchasing my gear to take on my first overnight trek I decided to go with a tent and inflatiable pad setup. I knew about hammocks but the idea of using them as your sleep system was foreign to me. I have not has a single comfortable sleep in my tent with my sleeping pad.

My main interest in getting into hanging is the comfort everyone raves about. Also, it will be really nice to have some new gear to use so I can let others use my original stuff (my friends like the idea of backpacking but not the initial costs) so I don't have to take so many solo trips.

I have done a lot of lurking here and although the learning curve is a little overwhelming, I am starting to get an idea of what I need/how everything works. Since I put out a decent bit of money not long ago with my sleep system, I'd like to save money where I can. But I defiintely do not want to skimp on the hammock itself since it will be my main comfort source. This has been a great place to learn and I appreciate all of the time and effort you all have put into making this style of backpacking/camping more obtainable to those just starting out! Thank you again and again!

I would appreciate any thoughts/critiques on the gear I am thinking about as well as any advice you're willing to give!

Thank you all in advance!

*Let me know if there is a better place to post this.
    Since we are the same height and weight, I have a Chameleon Wide and absolutely love it. Best sleep I ever got.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here are some of my various hammock videos....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...99144D4771F20F
    Tarp Tutorials.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    I suggest getting the Ultimate Hang book......https://theultimatehang.com
    Shug
    I have watched plenty of your videos! First when was learning some backbacking neccessities and most recently the "Hammock Hangin' How-To...Essentials For Noobs & Whatnots" videos. I found most of the hammock equipment I will need from those. Many thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast