Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Sounds reasonable to me. There are plenty of examples of the Costco quilt conversions. The one I find most intriguing is the faux baffle; I think it would help shape top and under quilts. Test your gear in the yard to gauge the temperature range. You will not experience comfort if you are not warm.
    I'll spend many nights in the yard before I take everything on a trip. I want to feel as competent as possible before I go out. Thanks for the advice!

I'll look into the faux baffle conversion. I haven't seen that one yet.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanklesmith View Post
    Hello from PA! I work in IT and needed to find something "unwired" to have as a hobby. I got into backpacking a little over a year ago and have fallen completely in love the outdoors. My only issue is sleep. I have tent camped by entire life (car camping with big air mattresses), so when I was purchasing my gear to take on my first overnight trek I decided to go with a tent and inflatiable pad setup. I knew about hammocks but the idea of using them as your sleep system was foreign to me. I have not has a single comfortable sleep in my tent with my sleeping pad.

My main interest in getting into hanging is the comfort everyone raves about. Also, it will be really nice to have some new gear to use so I can let others use my original stuff (my friends like the idea of backpacking but not the initial costs) so I don't have to take so many solo trips.

I have done a lot of lurking here and although the learning curve is a little overwhelming, I am starting to get an idea of what I need/how everything works. Since I put out a decent bit of money not long ago with my sleep system, I'd like to save money where I can. But I defiintely do not want to skimp on the hammock itself since it will be my main comfort source. This has been a great place to learn and I appreciate all of the time and effort you all have put into making this style of backpacking/camping more obtainable to those just starting out! Thank you again and again!

Here is what I am thinking:

Hammock: Chameleon Wide with the Beetle Buckle suspension
    - I am 6ft and 215lbs. From what I have read, the wide will be more comfortable for me.

Rain Fly: Chill Gorilla 12ft hex
    - It has had some good reviews on here and doesn't break the bank.

UQ and TQ: I am thinking about going the DIY costco route.
    - Until I get more comfortable with backpacking itself, I won't be doing overnights in temperatures that drop below 40f.

I would appreciate any thoughts/critiques on the gear I am thinking about as well as any advice you're willing to give!

Thank you all in advance!

*Let me know if there is a better place to post this.
    If you are in western PA, you aren't far from me. I'd be willing to let you tryout both my Chameleon Wide and my Warbonnet XLC 2.0... if you want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    That can be easily remedied, especially given your location. Quite a few hammock-campers in the Pittsburgh region, and most of us are fairly affable folks. Feel free to attend a group hang (there are several in western PA this year). That’s a great way to make friends and check out a variety of gear.
    I appreciate that. I'll look into some of the group hangs, it would be nice to get to know others in this community. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I'm 6'2" and 175# with fairly board shoulders, and I find the standard-width Chameleon gives me ample room; you might find the same.
    I think I have settled on getting a Chameleon, either standard or wide. I want as much comfort as possible. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow44 View Post
    If you are in western PA, you aren't far from me. I'd be willing to let you tryout both my Chameleon Wide and my Warbonnet XLC 2.0... if you want.
    Thank you! I might have to take you up on that, as this will be the most expensive part of my purchase. Maybe I could get some tips off of you in the process. I am a little south of Pittsburgh actually. About an hour and fifteen minutes from Richmond.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thank you! I might have to take you up on that, as this will be the most expensive part of my purchase. Maybe I could get some tips off of you in the process. I am a little south of Pittsburgh actually. About an hour and fifteen minutes from Richmond.
    My best friend lives in Bethel Park. It's a small world.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I stressed so much over which hammock to get, I started losing hair. So the money was right at the time, and I got them both. I have a 15 year old son that's almost the same size as me. So that's how I justified the purchase. If I can save someone the same stress.....I certainly will....

I stressed so much over which hammock to get, I started losing hair. So the money was right at the time, and I got them both. I have a 15 year old son that's almost the same size as me. So that's how I justified the purchase. If I can save someone the same stress.....I certainly will....
    Bethel Park is quite close to me. When my wife and I were buying a house last year we were looking in that area since I work in Pittsburgh. I am closer to the Washington area though.

Since you mentioned the Chameleon first, is that the one you prefer? Those are definitely the two I have read the most about. Seem to be the most popular right now.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Bethel Park is quite close to me. When my wife and I were buying a house last year we were looking in that area since I work in Pittsburgh. I am closer to the Washington area though.

Since you mentioned the Chameleon first, is that the one you prefer? Those are definitely the two I have read the most about. Seem to be the most popular right now.
    Those two and the Dream Hammock Sparrow, seem to be the most popular.
    I seem to favor the Chameleon and my best guess as to why is, it's 5" wider. There's more room. That being said, I slept in the Warbonnet this past Monday. It's very comfortable. Two weeks ago, my son and I camped at Raccoon Creek State Park near Burgettstown. He slept 11 straight hours in the Warbonnet, was up for three, then took a five hour nap in it.... that has to say something about comfort. The struggle to find the perfect hammock is real !!!! But I'll gladly help if I can. An excuse to camp, any excuse, is a good one.

Those two and the Dream Hammock Sparrow, seem to be the most popular.
    I seem to favor the Chameleon and my best guess as to why is, it's 5" wider. There's more room. That being said, I slept in the Warbonnet this past Monday. It's very comfortable. Two weeks ago, my son and I camped at Raccoon Creek State Park near Burgettstown. He slept 11 straight hours in the Warbonnet, was up for three, then took a five hour nap in it.... that has to say something about comfort. The struggle to find the perfect hammock is real !!!! But I'll gladly help if I can. An excuse to camp, any excuse, is a good one.
    I'll look into the Dream Hammock Sparrow, thanks. When I am ready to pull the trigger on buying the hammock I'll shoot you a PM on here to see if you are availble for me to come and test the Chameleon and Warbonnet out. I appreciate it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast