Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Best ultralight yet convenient suspension setup?

Last summer was my first foray into hammocking—3,500 miles of motorcycling, backpacking, and camping in mountains, deserts, and forests. It was awesome.

Now that “I’ve learned the ropes” (pun intended), I’m upgrading my hammock gear.

I plan on getting a Dream Hammock Darien and quilts from Hammock Gear (I already have a decent tarp from Outdoor Vitals).

Question: Can anyone please recommend the best suspension setup that is a balance of ultralight, convenient, adaptable, easy to setup and adjust? For example, I was checking out the DutchWare UHMWPE STRAPS AND HUGGERS—are those the lightest straps out there?

Last summer I had to get creative when I was in the desert or in the mountains above tree-line in terms of setting up my hammock between boulders, so it would be nice to retain this ability (tree straps combined with whoopie slings worked great for this purpose).

Also, if anyone else has any good tips or advice for a novice-turned-amatuer hammocker, please let me know. I’m planning on another long motorcycle adventure this summer.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Probably want to review the Lightweight Suspension thread started by Ohioopee, a lot of options are reviewed.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght-suspension

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    The lightest and simplest would be a dyneema strap becket hitched to the hammock directly. It's adjustable all the way up the tree..but requires knots.

Something like cinch buckles would be the most convenient...but they're heavy.

A pair of Mantis's (mantis'? Mantises?) with spider daisy chain would fall somewhere in the middle.

There are near-infinite possibilities. It all depends on what you're willing to do. Learning knots opens up a lot of avenues as far as UL and adaptability. If you prefer the convenience of hardware, that lends itself more towards convenience and ease of use.

Personally, I use UHMWPE straps from RSBTR with a soft shackle on the tree end instead of a biner. The hammock end is becket hitched to the CL on the hammock. Both straps weigh in at 56g...2oz if you prefer imperial..and they pack down to nothing at all.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    I tried to find this balance when outfitting my wife (who didn't want to have to tie knots). I ended up getting the beetle buckle suspension with the Dutch spider straps. I'm really impressed with it, and I'm considering getting a second set to replace my tree strap and UCR setup.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    For light and easy, I'd go with...

Strap -- Custom Dutch Spider Web 2.0 Tree Hugger with Sewn-In Dutch Clips
    Get the cut to a custom length equal to 2.86 times the diameter of the biggest tree you want to conquer

Suspension -- DIY 7/64" Amsteel Blue Utility Constrictor Rope (UCR)
    Use the Ultimate Hang's Hammock Hang Calculator to determine the maximum required length of your suspension based on maximum span distance

Connector -- Dutchware Whoopie Hook
    Splice this into then end of the UCR constrictor section in place of a fixed eye for easy attachment to your hammock continuous loop.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have found myself using a set of 10 foot Spider webbing daisy chain from Dutch along with a pair of mantis. I do no just clips; just pass through the loops around the tree. Set up weighs 4 1/2 oz for the entire set.
    My UHMWPE straps are just over 10 foot each, & I use either a Beckett Hitch or J-bend. I use a button clip made from 1/8" Amsteel to fasten them around the tree (see youtube channel for Jeff Myers on how to do this). They weigh under 2 oz for both. Very convenient and easy.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I've tried whoopies with hooks, UCRs, and whoopies with toggles. I always come back to titanium cinch buckles on spider/poly straps with Dutch clips. I can save a couple ounces elsewhere- these have worked in all temperatures and all weather. For convenience I haven't found anything better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I tried to find this balance when outfitting my wife (who didn't want to have to tie knots). I ended up getting the beetle buckle suspension with the Dutch spider straps. I'm really impressed with it, and I'm considering getting a second set to replace my tree strap and UCR setup.
    I am new to this but I, too, really like the Dutch spider straps and Beetle buckles. My first cheap hammock came with daisy chain straps and carabiners, which are very heavy, so I made my own whoopie slings and used them with some poly tree hugger straps. While they are very light, there is a bit of a "fiddle factor" with them, IMO. When I purchased my Dutchware Chameleon hammock, I got a set of the Spider straps and Beetle buckles. They are a bit heavier than the whoopie slings but they are still pretty light and the Beetle buckles are very easy to adjust, a breeze to hook up to the continuous loops on my hammock and pretty much bulletproof. My goto suspension now.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    The lightest and simplest would be a dyneema strap becket hitched to the hammock directly. It's adjustable all the way up the tree..but requires knots.

Something like cinch buckles would be the most convenient...but they're heavy.

A pair of Mantis's (mantis'? Mantises?) with spider daisy chain would fall somewhere in the middle.

There are near-infinite possibilities. It all depends on what you're willing to do. Learning knots opens up a lot of avenues as far as UL and adaptability. If you prefer the convenience of hardware, that lends itself more towards convenience and ease of use.

Personally, I use UHMWPE straps from RSBTR with a soft shackle on the tree end instead of a biner. The hammock end is becket hitched to the CL on the hammock. Both straps weigh in at 56g...2oz if you prefer imperial..and they pack down to nothing at all.
    What length are your straps for that weight?

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mshanger View Post
    What length are your straps for that weight?
    12’ with a 6” loop on one end.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast