WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by dghboy315 View Post
    I’ve just started using this set up. 15’ of spider web. It’s super light and requires no hardware. Seems to work well so far, except sometimes the becket hitch gets stuck even the slipped version. Then I discovered Myers Tech’s pull handle loop mod shown here and it totally solves the untying problem: https://youtu.be/qnwqPPquPRs
    Simple ideas, solve problem, a gem of genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really love Jeff Myer's ideas. Here is a few more of his videos about tweeks this webbing-Becket Hitch system. I'm still paying around with them. Personally, in the 2nd and 3rd video where he talks about tying to the tree, I like the Siberian (Evenk) Hitch. I find it easier to untie. I like the Becket Hitch variation for the same reason.

https://youtu.be/yPMWe8ULx0g
    https://youtu.be/V1sZuXeodps
    https://youtu.be/rltoFxg3Aik

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    More good ideas!

However, some of those slippery hitches are also going to be difficult to release after hanging on them all night.

Personally, at the tree end I like using the sewn strap loops with what Jeff calls Evo loops (CL joined with button or diamond knot) used as a soft shackle. (linked previously)
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    More good ideas!

However, some of those slippery hitches are also going to be difficult to release after hanging on them all night.
    I totally agree. That's why I went with the Becket with pull handle. I haven't tested it wet and/or cold yet. Hope it still works in those conditions.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    OK, I don't know what we're gonna call this — The Myers Becket Yanker? — but whatever you call it and whoever first thunk it up, I LOVE IT.

I went out in the woods and hung a bit on it, took a quick nap and fidgeted around a fair amount, similar to what I would normally do at night when getting stuff squared away. I'm betting this takes care of about 99.6% of the cinching/tightening that would occur overnight anyway.

Got out, pulled the strap tail and MBY against each other and it came apart super easy. Yay, no more toggles, once again hardware free!

Also tried it with the J-Bend... not good because the yanker loop doesn't want to slide through the eye of the MSH.

JMeyers_Becket_Yanker.jpg JMeyers_Becket_Yanker_02.jpg

So now my suspension weighs 2.05oz
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-18-2018 at 16:08.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

HAHA. I like it. Myers' Becket Yanker!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    OOps. I corrected the spelling... Myers

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Even though toggles weigh next to nothing and can be replaced by a stick, they are one more thing you can loose. As Phantom pointed out in another post, keeping things simple is a good thing. Can't wait to try this out in the field.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    To quote myself...

Also tried it with the J-Bend... not good because the yanker loop doesn't want to slide through the eye of the MSH.
    Certainly I'm not the first to realize this... However, when I started thinking about the above statement (duh!), I noticed that the J-Bend already has a built-in CL yanker, which is one side of the slipped bight and its free end. Works perfectly to pull the CL thru the MSH, thereby eliminating friction/wear on the strap that comes from the super-hard tugs on the free end, which seems to be the method that is usually demonstrated.

J-bend_yank.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-18-2018 at 18:52.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Revolt/Revelation
    Suspension
    Spider Web Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    There is another option for the Dutch Double Whoopie Hook.. I use it on my Single Line Suspension...

Thread your amsteel (in my case dyneema webbing) through both holes in the hook. Slide your DWH up and down the amsteel to the desired location then take a bit in the end of your amsteel and pass it under the section of cord between the two holes making it slippery. Done.

When you want to undo it, just pull the tail.

Less extreme bends in the amsteel, same end result.

One happy side effect is that there is enough tension on the cordage passing through the two holes that you can slide it into position without locking it off, and it will stay in place so you can fine tune your hammock position.. then you can lock it off. At least the dyneema works that way..

Just wondering if you're still using this or a similar system?

I tried something similar to this with good success this past weekend -- just my ProFly and its crappy suspension prusicked to some DW Spider/Poly straps. It worked well enough, but I'm excited to get out with some new gear in the next few weeks (have some 1.5 SpiderWeb, HG tarp, and a load of LashIt on the way).

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast