DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I see it now.. that's MeyerTech use of the Button Knot.. I use them all over my kit.
    On my hammock, I keep traditional CLs, but have the button knots on the ends of all of my various suspension components to accomplish the same thing Jeff shows. However, I find it easier to keep just plain CLs on the hammock in the event I choose to use something with hardware.. IE traditional whoopies with a whoopie hook or an SLS with a Double Whoopie Hook..

So many ways to skin the cat...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I changed the video link... I got the same time-out glitch.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Yeah the Amsteel threads through one of the holes on the hook, you slide it up and down for your adjustment and secure with a half twist knot over the knob on the hook. Works great easy to use and weighed in at a hundred and six grams for the set.20180510_204628.jpg
    I will say that Dutch discontinued sales of the actual speed hooks because through his testing he found that the sharp Bend of the half twist around the hook cause fatigue and reduce the strength of the Amsteel. However I've been using the same piece of rope for going on 3 years now with very little fraying and no breaks yet ;<) 20170504_191630.jpg
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Whoopie sling. If you're light enough you can use dynaglide and get real crazy. Kevlar tree straps and your set.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    Whoopie sling. If you're light enough you can use dynaglide and get real crazy. Kevlar tree straps and your set.
    This is my setup with a Dutch Whoopie hook in the fixed eye of the Dynaglide sling, attached to a small loop at the hammock. Adjustable end hung over a Marlin spike on the Kevlar tree strap (on the knot). Have hung on Dynaglide for 5 years and was one of the first to go with Dutch's Kevlar straps. I'm 200 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    There is another option for the Dutch Double Whoopie Hook.. I use it on my Single Line Suspension...

Thread your amsteel (in my case dyneema webbing) through both holes in the hook. Slide your DWH up and down the amsteel to the desired location then take a bit in the end of your amsteel and pass it under the section of cord between the two holes making it slippery. Done.

When you want to undo it, just pull the tail.

Less extreme bends in the amsteel, same end result.

One happy side effect is that there is enough tension on the cordage passing through the two holes that you can slide it into position without locking it off, and it will stay in place so you can fine tune your hammock position.. then you can lock it off. At least the dyneema works that way..

Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    There is another option for the Dutch Double Whoopie Hook.. I use it on my Single Line Suspension...

Thread your amsteel (in my case dyneema webbing) through both holes in the hook. Slide your DWH up and down the amsteel to the desired location then take a bit in the end of your amsteel and pass it under the section of cord between the two holes making it slippery. Done.

When you want to undo it, just pull the tail.

Less extreme bends in the amsteel, same end result.

One happy side effect is that there is enough tension on the cordage passing through the two holes that you can slide it into position without locking it off, and it will stay in place so you can fine tune your hammock position.. then you can lock it off. At least the dyneema works that way..

I'm definitely going to go that route if I ever break a piece of rope, at this point I'm just curious how long it'll last. Lol
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Dutchwaregear spider web dyneema tree huggers. Use for your entire suspension, well except for two 8 inch continuous loops made of 7/64 amsteel. Attach with becket hitch (I think it’s the slipped version of Becket Hitch.)

I’ve just started using this set up. 15’ of spider web. It’s super light and requires no hardware. Seems to work well so far, except sometimes the becket hitch gets stuck even the slipped version. Then I discovered Myers Tech’s pull handle loop mod shown here and it totally solves the untying problem: https://youtu.be/qnwqPPquPRs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dghboy315 View Post
    I’ve just started using this set up. 15’ of spider web. It’s super light and requires no hardware. Seems to work well so far, except sometimes the becket hitch gets stuck even the slipped version. Then I discovered Myers Tech’s pull handle loop mod shown here and it totally solves the untying problem: https://youtu.be/qnwqPPquPRs

That's a neat idea..
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dghboy315 View Post
    Thanks a bunch. I'm going to test today. That might get me back to zero hardware.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast