Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Ah. Thanks for the correction. That's impressive.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    Here's my setup, it's a piece of dyneema wedding with a length of 7/64 amsteel lark headed to it. Using a set of double whoopie hooks as speed hooks (which I will say Dutch does not recommend but I have not had any problem with for over 3 years hanging on the same piece of rope) I also attached my tarp via Prusik knot directly to the Amsteel instead of using its own separate continuous Ridgeline. I can't remember what it weighs but I'll post it later when I get a chance to find out.Attachment 164438
    I am unfamiliar with speed hooks. Do you basically just move the hook up and down the amsteel for your adjustment and attach your looped hammock to that?

If so that seems pretty nifty. Simple and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    Hello,
    I currently have a strap and buckle system for my hammock. I would like to switch to the lightest possible option? Any tried and true suggestions.
    What's the longest hang span you want to be able to accommodate?

What's the biggest diameter tree to which you will anchor?

The answers to these questions may affect your ultimate choice, especially if you give any weight at all to the user-friendliness of your system.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Do I lose any functionality if I get the Spider Web with the Dutch clip sewn in? I would prefer not to have to keep track of another clip. Also, 7' seems short for bigger trees?

Thank You

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    My lightest is a 15' Dyneems strap at each end, Phantom Grapplers Hitch at the tree end and a Dutch Double Whoopie Hook at the hammock end.. with tarp attached directly to that suspension. Super easy and fast. Only one strap per end to contend with. But a single line suspension isn't for everyone. So, my next lightest setup is a Kevlar tree straps with Phantom Grapplers Hitch at the tree end a Dynaglide UCR to the hammock. Zero hardware. Crazy compact and light. I can make it lighter if I shorten my tree straps.. just never bothered to do that.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

lightweight suspension

Dutch’s 2.0 grams per foot spider web, is dyneema. I got two 15 foot huggers, they are so light and compact—-why knot? I can always shorten them at any time.
    Dutch and his great crew might can help you by your email or phone call.
    Also you can go to a local group hammock hang listed on Hammock Forums to see all kind of hammock rigging.
    Especially a group hang that is not car camping, but instead a hike in camp—-this increases chances that you will see lightweight and compact suspensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 05-11-2018 at 05:31.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The lightest setup I have found that works for me is a combo of 15' Venom straps direct to hammock CL with Marlin spike hitch. I have some Amsteel Evo loops on the tree end.

Personally, I avoid hardware whenever possible, but I do not like the friction/wear on these very light dyneema straps that I have seen when using the Becket hitch, even though in general I will always opt for a knot or hitch unless there is no choice. So I use MSH with toggle, which is my only hardware concession.

And for the MSH toggle I prefer the Ti tube vs a stick or other material because in the event that the CL ends up resting on the toggle (a big no-no! — but it can happen!) there's a good chance I won't get dumped on the ground. (Yes, I could larkshead the CL around the MSH, but I find that inconvenient if I have to readjust.) And the toggles are tied to the ends of the straps so they never get lost.

Bottom line: the whole shebang (yep, there's 2x 15' straps in there!) weighs 2.36oz... unfurled to show toggles and Amsteel Evo loop...
    Lightweight_suspension.jpg

Edit: link to video... other one didn't work!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-11-2018 at 06:18.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Evo loops.. same as soft shackles? They are the yellow amsteel at one end of your strap..?
    The toggles are tied to the other end of your strap?

What's the orange amsteel loop? Looks like it's at the end of one of the straps?
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Not a soft shackle... Evo loop is basically a CL joined with a diamond knot, using the "feed-thru larkshead" to secure it. The linked vid above demonstrates (with button knot vs diamond... works the same...)

I prefer them because I can make them with no tools, and I find them easier to use in the field.

I'm always looking at worst-case scenario, which is wet+frozen, and early on had one helluva time undoing a SS in these conditions. So despite the elegance of a well-made SS I vastly prefer the real-world ease of use with the Evo loops.

Yes, the orange is the Evo loop on the second strap, and yes the toggles are tied to the hammock end of the strap. I just kept 'em all rolled up to also demonstrate the incredible teensie-weensie-ness of the package.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-11-2018 at 06:20.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    The link isn't working now.. it's got a time out error.
    I'll try again later.

Like you, I reverse engineer with 'worst case' in mind. End of day, tired, dark, wet, cold hands... I don't use SS's much so I haven't seen the extremes of their operation.

You mention wear from a Beckett Hitch.. I haven't seen that either and I have long abandoned toggles & MSH for Beckett or J-Bend. I'll keep an eye open for excessive wear, but I am going on maybe a third season with the same kevlar straps.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast