Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I am new to hanging so please pardon my ignorance and probably what is a stupid question: I have a Warbonnet Ridge Runner hammock and a Thunderfly tarp. I want to use a continuous ridge line of Lash-It with the tarp. I was wondering what you all do - have you cut a specific length of it off the spool to use or do you just roll-off whatever you need in the specific location from the spool? If you cut a specific length of it off the spool, what length do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    FWIW, the reason I gave a factor of 2.86 time the tree diameter is that the length is three quarters of the circumference plus the radius (i.e., one half of a diameter), which is the minimum run of strap required for all contact points on the tree to be protected, wrapping 270 degrees around the tree and coming straight off on the front side to connect with a clip or carabiner...

(.75 * 3.14) + .5 = 2.36 + .5 = 2.86

The looped end of the strap (with the clip/carabiner) can connect to Amsteel cord suspension rather than strap, so for the shortest practical strap that still protects the tree, a factor 2.86 is sufficient, and a factor of 3.36 isn't strictly necessary, IMHO.

HYOH...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
    I am new to hanging so please pardon my ignorance and probably what is a stupid question: I have a Warbonnet Ridge Runner hammock and a Thunderfly tarp. I want to use a continuous ridge line of Lash-It with the tarp. I was wondering what you all do - have you cut a specific length of it off the spool to use or do you just roll-off whatever you need in the specific location from the spool? If you cut a specific length of it off the spool, what length do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
    First guess—-30 to 35 feet should be fine, you can always cut ridgeline shorter, if it’s too long; once cut, can’t add back neatly.

Second guess—-I browser searched (google?)
    Ridgeline length for tarp over hammock.
    Browser search almost always brings me back to Hammock Forum threads that I’ve searched.
    I think Hammock Forums has a search function to locate past threads, I’ve not learned how to use it.

Best bet, 35 feet and trim after hanging in several different locations.

When I first started using whoopie hooks I had 4 foot huggers (straps). They were long enough most of the time however there were occasions where I had to pass on ideal spots because the trees were too large. I replaced the 4 footers with 7 footers and have been happy with the change. A little more weight and bulk but it's worth it to me. Ended up using the 4 footers when building a TD stand to support the ridgepole.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    FWIW, the reason I gave a factor of 2.86 time the tree diameter is that the length is three quarters of the circumference plus the radius (i.e., one half of a diameter), which is the minimum run of strap required for all contact points on the tree to be protected, wrapping 270 degrees around the tree and coming straight off on the front side to connect with a clip or carabiner...

(.75 * 3.14) + .5 = 2.36 + .5 = 2.86

The looped end of the strap (with the clip/carabiner) can connect to Amsteel cord suspension rather than strap, so for the shortest practical strap that still protects the tree, a factor 2.86 is sufficient, and a factor of 3.36 isn't strictly necessary, IMHO.

HYOH...
    p5s5j.jpg
    It's True It's True

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123