Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Minimum practical length for tree strap?

What do you feel is the minimum practical length for a tree strap when used with a UCR, or Whoopee Sling setup?

I am building a new suspension setup which will consist of the tree strap and line. Prior to cutting the strap I want to check the practical experience of the group. I want to minimize the amount of strap and rope that dangles after setting up.

Thank you.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Varies greatly with geographical location... directly dependent upon tree spacing and trunk diameter.

Here in the NE, there are places where you could get away with a couple of 4' straps using whoopies because there are very few areas of old-growth forest, although it's safer to go with perhaps one 6' and one 8', and carry a 6' Amsteel dogbone just in case.

Folks in the PNW with large, widely-spaced trees often need much longer suspension bits!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-10-2018 at 07:22.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If you start using 6 foot straps and camp several times in different places. You can know (more or less) what minimum length works best for you.
    You can mark your strap with some sort of marker that shows with ultraviolet light. Or you can mark strap with an overhand knot that is snugged but not too tight. Or use a sharpie marker.
    If you set up in 3 or 4 places, this will factor in your tree spacing and tree girth preferences.

If you get your optimum short strap, then there will be some hang spots that will be challenging when trees are an extra stride apart and bigger around than your usual camping locations.
    You might have to skip that site or extend suspension with a dogbone or other amsteel, to make that site work.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Depends on the trees and spacing, as they've already said. I've never regretted having extra strap, but I have regretted not having enough. I use 8'+.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Varies greatly with geographical location... directly dependent upon tree spacing and trunk diameter.

Here in the NE, there are places where you could get away with a couple of 4' straps using whoopies because there are very few areas of old-growth forest...[/U][/I][/URL]!
    Same here in the south. I have a pair of 4' straps and the only time they have not worked is when I hang in what are considered to be tent camps, where only bigger trees seem to survive (though not thrive, so I rarely go there anymore). That said, I mostly use webbing/buckles with a 12' length on each end. I'm more about flexibility now than light weight.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images
    Start your new suspension with the longest straps you may ever need and then dial back as personal experience indicates for your location.

Also severely limiting your hang options just to save one ounce is a recipe for disappointment.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started with 12' straps, but quickly realized that was overkill here in the Northeast (there is very little old growth). I've been using 4' straps for the last six years. I carry a few continuous loops to extend my straps on the rare occasion I hang from a larger tree.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I started with 12' straps, but quickly realized that was overkill here in the Northeast (there is very little old growth). I've been using 4' straps for the last six years. I carry a few continuous loops to extend my straps on the rare occasion I hang from a larger tree.
    Thank you, that is the type of information I was hoping for.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I carry one 5' strap and one 7' strap.
    Always works for me.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We regularly build straps that are around 4 foot...but it really does depend on the area you hang in the most. Out west 4 foot would rarely be anywhere near big enough. I pack 8's most of the time and have run into a few places where the best hang needed to have that doubled. But central and SE US seem to be able to get away with shorter straps most of the time.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast