Thread: Ozark Trail

Hammock
    TTTM - Double
    Insulation
    ROOST 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Hummingbird

Ozark Trail

I wasn't sure where to post this, and this seemed like the best option out of the available choices. It's not specific to hammock camping though. My wife's family and I are going to be doing some tent camping this summer (im the hammock camper in the family) and she's not well educated with gear. Her and I discussed sleeping bags and temperature ratings and how those ratings refer to costs and size/weight, even though that's not really relevant to tent camping. Well, she just so happened to see something pop-up on her Facebook from Walmart regarding Ozark Trail sleeping bags. Knowing her as well as I do, she's looking at the fact that their $20-$40 and are at a 40 degree rating or so and thinking "why don't we buy these?". For one, I hate Walmart and for two I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Yes, there's exceptions to that rule, but that's almost always the case.

Here's my question, though their products at the very least are probably built cheap, will they work and are they suitable for things like tent camping? Have any of you guys used their products and if so, how was the experience? Thank you all for your input.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    I have their vacuum insulated drink coolers. When tested side-by-side with Yeti and Orca drink coolers, the OT actually keeps drinks cooler for longer at less than half the price. So some of their stuff is OK for sure. On the other hand I have a friend with a OT tent and it's very, very poorly made. Seams were ripping, the tent poles were laughably poor quality, etc.

I think if you can get over the weight and "bulkiness" of the Ozark Trail equipment then you'll manage just fine, I wouldn't trust the tent/rain fly in a storm or anything but for fair weather use idt you'll have a problem. If you went to town with some seam sealer it'd probably help a ton. Good luck!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I've got an Ozark Trail folding chair that I like a lot. I'm 6'6" 250 and I've broken about two car camping chairs a year for my entire life.........until I bought this beastly one for $12. It's been going strong for two years now.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I don't have any problems with their products that I've used, but in my experiences I would take most commercially manufactured sleeping bag's temperature rating with a grain of salt.

A [insert inexpensive commercial brand name here] 20º bag might let you survive down to 20º, but you'll be cold by the time you reach 40º. I just don't look at them as temperature comfort ratings any longer.
    With that being said, it's been over 5 years since I tried any of them, but I went through numerous like and including the Ozark Trail bags in the past and was never comfortable if the temps ever approached their ratings.

If you're car camping and go this route and temps are expected to approach near the bag's rating, I'd definitely pack extra insulation of some type to help. I do actually have a fleece Ozark trail sleeping bag liner from years ago and I keep that handy for the wife or daughter when car camping and it has come in handy in a pinch.

Hammock
    TTTM - Double
    Insulation
    ROOST 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Hummingbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    A [insert inexpensive commercial brand name here] 20º bag might let you survive down to 20º, but you'll be cold by the time you reach 40º. I just don't look at them as temperature comfort ratings any longer.
    About an our ago, I just came across something about the EN (European) rating system that a lot of brands use, and I think the article was focusing on OT as an example. That rating was pretty much based on being on a mat off the ground and wearing thermal underwear while in the bag. Reading that, makes me feel that a 40 degree bag, may in fact be more of a 50 or even 60 degree bag if your wearing just boxers, or nothing if that's how you roll. In warmer weather, I guess it's not so critical, but in cold weather, I think I would be more concerned depending on the brand I was buying an their reputation on other peoples uses.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Ozark Trail is generally a very cheap brand that I'd be very cautious with. Their good insulated drink coolers are an exception to the rule. This is a company that sells a "backpacking tent" that, if you call them, they will tell you is NOT waterproof and is only appropriate for playing in the back yard during fair weather.

IMO I'd consider a 40 degree sleeping bag from them a 60 degree bag until proven wrong. Their quality is often on par with what you'd off of Ali Express. In other words: don't trust, and do verify.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    OT has always been hit-n-miss... they simply buy products from various manufacturers for use and slap the OT brand tag on.
    There has never been any standardized QC like with real "Brand Name" lines.

That said... when they do hit one, it can be great. The OT250+ down sleeping bag was a fabulous bargain at the $79 store price. Great quality down, super loft, nice soft feeling fabric...There are whole threads on camping forums just on them alone.
    I'd keep an eye on Craigslist
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    About 4 years ago, I bought an OT 40° "compact" sleeping bag. By "compact", I mean it was their model that packs down to the size of one of our top quilts, and it doesn't fluff up at all once out of the stuff sack. Small, light, and has no loft. I've tested it repeatedly during the summer here in central California, and it's consistently proven to be terrible. It really isn't any warmer than a cotton bed sheet. Basically, I've had to combine it with a fleece bag liner just to be warm down to 65 degrees.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    That said... when they do hit one, it can be great. The OT250+ down sleeping bag was a fabulous bargain at the $79 store price. Great quality down, super loft, nice soft feeling fabric...There are whole threads on camping forums just on them alone.
    I'd keep an eye on Craigslist
    That's cool! Funny how there's a few jewels now and then.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast